It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: The Telecaster sound question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:49 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello ,Semi new to the forum,so please bear with this question.

I recently bought an American Standard Stratocaster,love the heck out of it.

I have been watching a few You Tube things with guitarist playing Telecasters,The Pretenders,and also the Toy Dolls,and would like to get the "Telecaster" sound to emulate them.

I`ve been planning on getting a Telecaster for my 50th birthday as a kind of milestone memento,but I`m still thinking it over.The wife will/would have a fit over ANOTHER guitar in the house (I already have 7,nothing to write home about)

What is it that makes a Telecaster "Ching",,is it just the way the guitar is?or is it amp settings etc.
The purchase would be a low End American standard,the one around $850 at Guit center.

Thanks for any help
Rt4957,Phil

Post subject: Re: The Telecaster sound question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:33 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

`Ching`is a word I`ve not heard used to describe the sound of a Tele before. Spank, bite and twang are the typical words used. Sometimes honk as well but that`s usually the result of how the guitar interacts with the amp.

I`d never heard the Toy Dolls before but I logged onto YouTube gave a listen to PC Stoker and Dig That Groove Baby. I`d say the Marshall amp dialed up pretty loud is key there with some light overdrive and a little chorus or possibly very light duty flanging; also sounds like there might be just a hint of compression. There was a little honk in their tone but not much. For the Pretenders, lose the OD, clean up the gain in the amp and crank up the chorus and add some reverb. That`s where I`d start anyway. You can always Google those players and find out what gear they use as well if you really need to nail those tones rather than just get close.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:16 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Sounds like your going to be getting a Tele in the future. If that`s a problem with your wife why not consider selling one or two of you current guitars to get one. I think a Tele has its own sound due to their pickups and then as mentioned in the above post, dialing in settings of the amp you use. I have 4 guitars, a Strat, a Tele an LP and a Gretsch and they each have their own unique sounds. I think the Tele " twang " as some call it, is its own characteristic and probably the closest you can get to that with a Strat is with the bridge pickup and then your amp settings. If you find your way and get a Tele you won`t be sorry their really nice guitars.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:19 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

you could also do a mod to allow you to have the neck and bridge pups on at the same time which is one of the teles signature sounds... you could also look at changing pups, go for a twisted tele pup in the neck position which still has a strat sound but mixes a bit of twang in there as well...

just some other options...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:56 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

da rok wrote:
you could also do a mod to allow you to have the neck and bridge pups on at the same time which is one of the teles signature sounds...

I have that mod on one of my Strats and I agree it is a very useful tone but there really is no substitute for a good Telecaster.

BTW, Rt4957 welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:00 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

+1 on that!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:34 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a tele and a strat. Since my kids were born I have been playing early mornings unplugged so not to wake them. That tele sound is obvious even when unplugged so in my opinion it has more to do with the design then the pickups. love the sound and prefer the unplugged sound of a tele over a strat any day

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:39 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Do you think that your wife would have a massive coronary if you bought a used MIM Tele or Squier Tele?I have an MIM Tele and even with the stock pups she still has lots of the Tele spank and you can pick up used ones in the $150-$250 range.

'65 Strat,65 Mustang,65 Jaguar,'00 LH Strat,'04 50th Ann.Strat,06 Stratacoustic,'06 MIM Tele,'69 Bassman,'68 Bassman 2-15 cab.'64 Gretsch Tennessean,'74 Guild S100SC,'66 Leslie Model16 +other asst'd guitars&amps.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:09 am 
Amateur
Amateur

guitslinger wrote:
Do you think that your wife would have a massive coronary if you bought a used MIM Tele or Squier Tele?I have an MIM Tele and even with the stock pups she still has lots of the Tele spank and you can pick up used ones in the $150-$250 range.

I have a 2009 MIM Tele with stock pups too. I agree, it does have the Tele spank. I replaced the stock 6-saddle bridge with a compensated 6-saddle Fender ashtray bridge yesterday. I am not talking about the slanted saddles but the Wilkinson-designed 'flattened' ones. The new bridge changed the sound of the guitar completely; it is much brighter and the Tele bite and twang are more obvious than before.

Korg ToneWorks AX3000G effects
Marshall Valvestate 8080 amp