It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Telecaster Pickups for Country Music
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:12 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey Ya'll

I have a 66 Fender Tele I'm re-doing. What would you recommend is the best type of pickup to get the best tone for Country Music.

I hear Vince Gill uses EMG but I think they may have to much of a rock sound. Plus, I'm not sure if they make them for telecasters.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:51 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

i wouldnt mess with it at all. if its a true 66 then you should already have the best pickups for that country twang.

Post subject: Re: Telecaster Pickups for Country Music
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:59 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

J8son wrote:
Hey Ya'll

I have a 66 Fender Tele I'm re-doing. What would you recommend is the best type of pickup to get the best tone for Country Music.

I hear Vince Gill uses EMG but I think they may have to much of a rock sound. Plus, I'm not sure if they make them for telecasters.

Thanks!

Hi J8son!

EMG pickups (I mean EMG T model) for tele are quite versatile, though they are better for blues, blues-rock and hard-rock rather than country or, in contrary, heavy metal. But the tone of these particular EMG depends very much on the height of the pickups. I wanted to get woody rock sounds from my tele, so I made my bridge pup very close to the srtings (also I use extra heavy strings: 14-60 tuned one step lower).

But if you move the bridge pup lower (about 5-6 mm between the pup and the strings), the sound will become more 'transparent' and 'airy', and there's no doubt that this sound is good for country. Especially if you use light string gauges. Whether it will be good personally for you or not, it depends on your taste only. If you decide to go for EMG T's, I will recommend you to put two batteries instead of one, suggested by EMG. It opens the sound significantly and makes it less compressed.

If you want to choose passive pickups, I'd recommend Bare Knuckle Country Boy or Blackguard pickups. Counrty Boy pups are great for clean jangly tones, or slightly distorted. Blackguards' sound lies somewhere between country and rock, and they work perfectly both clean and distorted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:46 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Actualy, I've been doing some reserch.

Brent Mason, the best session Country Music picker of the last two decades (by anyone's standards) did an interview in 2007 saying he uses Seymour Duncan pickups w/ vintage stacks on all his Telecasters.

I love his style of picking and sound. It's what I'm really aiming for. Anyone have thoughts on these pickups he uses?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:23 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

J8son wrote:
Actualy, I've been doing some reserch.
I love his style of picking and sound. It's what I'm really aiming for. Anyone have thoughts on these pickups he uses?

Thanks!

As far as we can judge by his signature guitar, he really uses duncan vintage stack in the bridge position, and gibson minihumbucker in the neck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:24 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Kinman Broadcaster set- zero hum

http://174.120.246.2/~kinman/Shop/tele.php

Or the Jerry Amalfitano Glendale pups

http://www.glendaleguitars.com/pickups.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:23 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I wouldn't dare mess with anything on a 66 Tele,the pups,finish, hardware, electronics or anything.To alter anything on a guitar of that vintage would automatically devalue it by at least 40%-I learned this the hard way and it was a painfully expensive to learn.There's nothing wrong with stock Tele pups for country music for generations of country guitarists have "made do" with the stock pups.I imagine that if Vince Gill has modded Teles that they are recent models for as a collector of many vintage instruments he knows enough not to deface a relic.If you must mod a Tele buy a newer one or a fixer upper but I can't state strongly enough don't change anything on that 66.

'65 Strat,65 Mustang,65 Jaguar,'00 LH Strat,'04 50th Ann.Strat,06 Stratacoustic,'06 MIM Tele,'69 Bassman,'68 Bassman 2-15 cab.'64 Gretsch Tennessean,'74 Guild S100SC,'66 Leslie Model16 +other asst'd guitars&amps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:20 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

guitslinger wrote:
I wouldn't dare mess with anything on a 66 Tele,the pups,finish, hardware, electronics or anything.To alter anything on a guitar of that vintage would automatically devalue it by at least 40%-I learned this the hard way and it was a painfully expensive to learn.There's nothing wrong with stock Tele pups for country music for generations of country guitarists have "made do" with the stock pups.I imagine that if Vince Gill has modded Teles that they are recent models for as a collector of many vintage instruments he knows enough not to deface a relic.If you must mod a Tele buy a newer one or a fixer upper but I can't state strongly enough don't change anything on that 66.

agreed whole heartedly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:51 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

way cool jr wrote:
guitslinger wrote:

agreed whole heartedly.

I hear that alot and, quite frankly, I don't get that logic.

I'm not happy with the guitar, yet people tell me if I do anything to change it, this wil devalue the instrument. As far as "value" is concerned, asided from the fact that it's the easiest guitar to play I've ever held, it holds more sentimental value to me than anything else. I will NEVER sell this instrument.

So if price is not an issue to me, shouldn't being happy with the guitar over all be my prime concern?

Just food for thought, that's all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:28 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

J8son wrote:

I hear that alot and, quite frankly, I don't get that logic.

I'm not happy with the guitar, yet people tell me if I do anything to change it, this wil devalue the instrument. As far as "value" is concerned, asided from the fact that it's the easiest guitar to play I've ever held, it holds more sentimental value to me than anything else. I will NEVER sell this instrument.

So if price is not an issue to me, shouldn't being happy with the guitar over all be my prime concern?

Just food for thought, that's all...

I don't follow that logic either, but guitar market has it's own laws an logic :(

But pickup replacement is not a drastic modification though. I see one compromise decision. Just remove all the stock circuit from the guitar, including pickups, wires, pots, switches, etc, and install complete new circuit. Then, in case of 'emergency' you will be able to put the original, vintage circuit back to your guitar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:13 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I thought pretty much any Tele PUs were good for country, as I thought you could only play country with Teles...I mean Les Paul was a country musician, so you can only play country on Les Pauls too, right? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:12 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

bowlfreshener wrote:
I thought pretty much any Tele PUs were good for country, as I thought you could only play country with Teles...I mean Les Paul was a country musician, so you can only play country on Les Pauls too, right? 8)

I'd imagine if a player has skill he can play just about any kind of music on any guitar...so i think you could play country on an LP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:36 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Even removing the interior workings of a guitar temporarily will severely affect the value as vintage collectors insist that a guitar have all the original solder points etc. As a small collector myself(26 several rare vintage) I have seen people ruin vintage guitars for the most ridiculous reasons such as the guy who cut the top horn off a 62 Strat and threw it away because it was to big to fit in his $50 case.A guitar that's well taken care of can literally last centuries that's why I take pains to keep all my vintage guitars original for even though I may own them I'm just a temporary custodian and one of hopefully many owners who appreciates the originality of a beautiful unmolested vintage instrument.Although you say you will never sell your guitar unless you're buried or cremated with it somewhere down the road it will have another owner.It is in the interest of subsequent owners that I keep all my guitars original.Some may not understand the rationelle of collectors wanting to keep relics unmolested so be it but whoever gets my beauties down the road will hear them the way the maker wanted them to be heard.

'65 Strat,65 Mustang,65 Jaguar,'00 LH Strat,'04 50th Ann.Strat,06 Stratacoustic,'06 MIM Tele,'69 Bassman,'68 Bassman 2-15 cab.'64 Gretsch Tennessean,'74 Guild S100SC,'66 Leslie Model16 +other asst'd guitars&amps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

guitslinger wrote:
Even removing the interior workings of a guitar temporarily will severely affect the value as vintage collectors insist that a guitar have all the original solder points etc. As a small collector myself(26 several rare vintage) I have seen people ruin vintage guitars for the most ridiculous reasons such as the guy who cut the top horn off a 62 Strat and threw it away because it was to big to fit in his $50 case.A guitar that's well taken care of can literally last centuries that's why I take pains to keep all my vintage guitars original for even though I may own them I'm just a temporary custodian and one of hopefully many owners who appreciates the originality of a beautiful unmolested vintage instrument.Although you say you will never sell your guitar unless you're buried or cremated with it somewhere down the road it will have another owner.It is in the interest of subsequent owners that I keep all my guitars original.Some may not understand the rationelle of collectors wanting to keep relics unmolested so be it but whoever gets my beauties down the road will hear them the way the maker wanted them to be heard.

just cant be better said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:27 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

guitslinger wrote:

OK, I understand that, but what to do if something in vintage guitar is broken or works improperly, and needs to be repaired? So, should it be repaired, or left as is?