It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: New Telecaster Fret Buzz (help!)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:05 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I just got a brand new Telecaster Thinline '72 Reissue, and after getting it home and playing it a lot more I noticed some fret buzz. At about the 9th fret the D and G string start to buzz, and continue the rest of the way up the neck. I have checked everything I know to check. I checked the saddle height and they're as high as they can go, and I've done no adjusting so far. So I'm wondering if it has something to do with the neck relief, or the neck angle.

(Sorry to waste everyone's time if it's just something simple I've overlooked.)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:56 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I have the same guitar. It had some fret buzz at the upper frets (towards the body). It was minor, so I lived with it for a couple of years. I just recently brought it to a guitar tech for a complete setup. He found the problems was in the neck adjustment. He adjusted it (as well as other things), and now it's a lot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:39 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

A lot of places offer a time period to take a recently purchased guitar in for little tweaks free of charge. If you just bought it, call them up and ask. Take advantage of that while you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:37 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

A setup for a guitar is essential. If you don't know how to do it yourself (and truth be told, most guitarist who think they can still don't. Even ones paid to in the shops)

I add 100 dollars in my head to the price of a guitar for a professional setup.

I get a bone nut installed. They adjust the neck, do intonation, maybe suggest a change to a better bridge depending on type of guitar etc.

For example, it's well known that the 52 reissues don't have the best bridges for intonation BUT no real techie will EVER tell you to change those brass beauties versus better intonation. The tone of the brass out-weights the issue of intonation up the neck. There's a lot of little things like that, that a pro will know.

Quite often, since guitar stores don't invest in pro setups for their displayed guitars (they make you pay for them) a $2000 guitar may sound or play worse than a $200 guitar. That is what is responsible for the bulk of "my cheap-O guitar is better than the top of the line; I'd never buy those overpriced things" comments you read about. Or the people who give say a 52 Reissue a rating of 2 out of 10 on reviews. (the same people who say Sgt Pepper was the worst album ever made in rock and roll ;)

You will never know how well your guitar plays without such a setup. Warning tho, you may like low action. You've got to say that up front. But you may not like buzz more! It's like asking for comfortable AND good looking shoes. They often are trade-offs on one another. It's the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle of guitars. Typically Action is a trade-off on Buzz for most guitars. There's a point you've got to accept some buzzing to get low action, or else you like higher action and your techie set it up too low. Know thyself on this when you pay and ask for a pro setup.

97 ErnieBall Axis Sport
98 Taylor 510
04 Gretsch Double Jet
05 Fender MIM Strat
06 Epi 66 SG G-400
07 Cort Yorktown Semi
07 Traynor YCV40WR
07 G&L Tribute L-2000 Bass
08 Fender 52 Hot Rod Tele

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:32 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks so much db9091! I figured it was probably just an issue of it needing a good set-up. The weird thing is that the saddles are set as high as they'll go, and yet the action is very low. This was the part that bothered me, because I figured it probably meant more issues with the neck or truss rod or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:39 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Before I read anything, I was going to suggest a professional setup, I had one done on my BC Rich the other day actually, and you wouldn't believe how well it plays!

So yeah, pop it to your local luthier and tell him what you want and how you want it!

James.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:46 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

db9091 wrote:
A setup for a guitar is essential. If you don't know how to do it yourself (and truth be told, most guitarist who think they can still don't. Even ones paid to in the shops)

I add 100 dollars in my head to the price of a guitar for a professional setup.

I get a bone nut installed. They adjust the neck, do intonation, maybe suggest a change to a better bridge depending on type of guitar etc.

For example, it's well known that the 52 reissues don't have the best bridges for intonation BUT no real techie will EVER tell you to change those brass beauties versus better intonation. The tone of the brass out-weights the issue of intonation up the neck. There's a lot of little things like that, that a pro will know.

Quite often, since guitar stores don't invest in pro setups for their displayed guitars (they make you pay for them) a $2000 guitar may sound or play worse than a $200 guitar. That is what is responsible for the bulk of "my cheap-O guitar is better than the top of the line; I'd never buy those overpriced things" comments you read about. Or the people who give say a 52 Reissue a rating of 2 out of 10 on reviews. (the same people who say Sgt Pepper was the worst album ever made in rock and roll ;)

You will never know how well your guitar plays without such a setup. Warning tho, you may like low action. You've got to say that up front. But you may not like buzz more! It's like asking for comfortable AND good looking shoes. They often are trade-offs on one another. It's the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle of guitars. Typically Action is a trade-off on Buzz for most guitars. There's a point you've got to accept some buzzing to get low action, or else you like higher action and your techie set it up too low. Know thyself on this when you pay and ask for a pro setup.

This is so true!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:58 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for all the wisdom everyone, I was pretty sure it would probably need to be set up anyway. The fret buzz sort-ofweirded me out, because of the action being SO high. At any rate, what is a decent price for a pro set-up? I figure it's probably not that cheap, but I'll just bite the bullet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:57 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

If your saddles are up as high as they'll go and you're still getting buzz, that indicates that the neck needs to be reset (adjusted).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:03 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Don't they say to hold down the 14th fret and see how the neck bows? The string should have a certain mm or in clearance at a certain fret. Look up the manual on the guitar. If you don't have one, check out this website for the guitar under "Support" above and look up your manual. They are generic enough to give you an idea for many Fender guitars. You should see a graceful arc with the string highest in the middle.

Another thing to look at is from the head down towards the body at a very steep angle at the sides of the frets and see if any are obviously out of alignment.

There has to be websites on doing this. anyone know of a good one?
You need a ruler.

Oh, also, make sure your neck screws are tight. The ones that hold the neck mounted to the body. (rare, but a possibility)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:07 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

liveatsix wrote:
A lot of places offer a time period to take a recently purchased guitar in for little tweaks free of charge. If you just bought it, call them up and ask. Take advantage of that while you can.
Ya our one local store does a setup before you take it home then you can bring back within 30days and leave it for another free of charge. A lot of good stores do this.

Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:41 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Try scraping pencil graphite into the nut with an exacto knife. If that doesn't help your string buzz, it'll at least give your nut a longer life.
If that doesnt work, use a peice of paper, and carefully try and push it under the frets, if it goes in too far, like over a millimeter, you might have a raised fret. If so you can go to a luthier and have it refretted.

'08 Standard Telecaster
'80 Gibson Sonex Deluxe
'95 Standard Stratocaster ('63RI)
Hot Rod Deville 212

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:01 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Try scraping pencil graphite into the nut with an exacto knife. If that doesn't help your string buzz, it'll at least give your nut a longer life.
If that doesnt work, use a peice of paper, and carefully try and push it under the frets, if it goes in too far, like over a millimeter, you might have a raised fret. If so, you might want to a luthier and have it refretted.

'08 Standard Telecaster
'80 Gibson Sonex Deluxe
'95 Standard Stratocaster ('63RI)
Hot Rod Deville 212

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:16 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I think I read in the Fender manual that the height from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string is supposed to be like 4/64ths. I took mine in for a pro setup and their charging about 85 bucks for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:23 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

abombaci wrote:
I think I read in the Fender manual that the height from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string is supposed to be like 4/64ths. I took mine in for a pro setup and their charging about 85 bucks for it.

For what? Fret dressing? A set up?

If it's a complete set up.......I just had my Thinline done and it was $75. But I'm in the San Francisco Area, and everything costs a lot here.