It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How to get gloss off the fretboard
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:58 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I sanded down my neck and it feels great got all that poly off was wondering any tips to do the fretboard? I cant take frets off im not that inclined, and any tips how to relic it a little maybe make it dirty and worn in. Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: How to get gloss off the fretboard
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:34 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Time is the best way to relic a guitar.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:06 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Well since you took off all the poly, just play it for a few months and you'll have plenty of sweat stains set in soon enough. Patience grasshopper!

T2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:18 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I took the finish off of the back of my Telecaster's neck and it's great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:55 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Trust me i got 100s of hours on that thing the poly isnt wearing off on the fretboard ill try samding it down then play it for another 9 years its 9 years old maybe i dont sweat as much haha i need that bruce springsteen mojo hill relic a guitar in one night or zakk wylde lol thanks guys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:02 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Dirty D Rock wrote:
I sanded down my neck and it feels great got all that poly off was wondering any tips to do the fretboard? I cant take frets off im not that inclined, and any tips how to relic it a little maybe make it dirty and worn in. Thanks guys

I've got to assume that you have a Maple fretboard from the gloss description.

You can sand it, but be careful around the soft fret material it would be easy to sand them down at the same time and you don't want that. Maple must have a finish of some kind on it or it turns grey, which is the relic look you ask about. Most of those have faux finger marks on the fretboard to mimic a lot of play wear in the most used spots.

I had to refinish a Jimmie Vaughan neck recently due to a really poor factory finish, but I used a spray satin urethane and didn't leave relic markings.

The first pic is my Jimmie neck, it's really painstaking sanding just the fretboard, spraying it without getting dust, etc. and finally scraping the frets clean.

This pic is an actual '58 Strat and is about as dirty lookin' as any I've ever seen.

This is a Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic '57 Strat.

Hope that helps you. - Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:37 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

That looks awsome how about the body like the front where your arm hangs your right arm do the same thing? Any tips to get in between the frets maybe ill just,do some spots not the whole thing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:38 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

That looks awsome how about the body like the front where your arm hangs your right arm do the same thing? Any tips to get in between the frets maybe ill just,do some spots not the whole thing and i do have a maple neck and board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:18 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

It depends on the finish; even with urethane on the neck you can probably sand the finger marks with something like a 600 grit, be careful, if you go too far it's difficult to recover. Plan on taking your time with each mark.

The body finish determines it's relic-ability. If it's Poly-Urethane, forget it, you'll scratch it up and crack it and it'll never get right.

I bought a Highway One body because they're Nitro finished. Mine was used and had some hard wear and a bit of abuse on it already. Again, use sandpaper and imagination.

Think it through, look up techniques and finished examples on the internet.

Here's how my body turned out, I preferred to finish in gloss urethane, mine looks like a relic paint job, not everybody's preference.

You can find plenty of examples on the internet if that's what you want. Again, decide what you want, work out a plan and be careful or you might not like the finished product and for sure, no one else will. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:23 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

That looks awsome namwell mines a japan strat made in 04 i think its poly gloss i sanded down the back just to test it out but i want it like yours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:21 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I know people are really into the relic thing, but why fake the ware? Why not just abuse the guitar and let it relic naturally. My buddy is relicing his guitar by never using a case.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:55 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Have to agree. Why relic... just PLAY it!
It'll relic up real nice the old fashioned way... and it won't look like a "Reliced" instrument... which look fake... no matter how good a relic job you can still tell it's not natural. Those pics up there are a decent relic job. But, still looks like a "Relic" job. Can't beat good old fashioned, organic wear and tear.
But, this is just my opinion, of course...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:50 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

I abhore the whole idea of relic-ing a guitar. So phony...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ok so you guys are telling me now that i have the gloss of it will wear down? I have a van halen wolfgang its about 2 yeArs old i got like 300 hours on it its not my fav guitar and the fretboard is already dirty witch i love and i guess its naturall with oil never used a case maybe the first month but therea no way with the gloss on the body that mine will relic especially me not playing out under lights, well only time will yell patience you right

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:04 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Personally I don't see anything wrong at all with making a guitar look old.
"Antiquing" is nothing new, there is an entire industry built around artificially antiqued furniture, documents, and many other things. It is a personal preference.
Myself, I just don't like the look of a pristine Fender. To me a Fender looks better the more it's beat all to hell......and as far as letting it age naturally......I tell you that does not work on modern guitars, unless you happen to have a Fender with a super thin nitro finish like back in the old days, it just doesn't happen. I play for a living, 3, and 4 nights a week every week, and that's not including personal practice, and practice with various groups, and I'm here to tell you that the poly finishes they use now days does NOT age. If you play your guitar HARD constantly every single day, and don't bother using a case to carry it around, you might end up with a couple of dings after 10-15 years, but that's about all you will achieve with a modern guitar. They just DO NOT wear like the older guitars with super thin nitro finishes. So I have no problems with antiquing a guitar.....it is a personal preference plain, and simple. No different than preferring red over black.