It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Channel-bound??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:15 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Has anyone seen or tried the new Am.Select Strat with the new channel-bound rosewood fingerboard?

Has that type of construction ever been done before (by any manufacturer)?
I don't recall ever seeing anything like it before.

Member #26797
My other guitar is a Strat.

Post subject: Re: Channel-bound??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:08 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

looks pretty cool, never seen it before, seems that the woods might change over time and you might have a lip where the 2 meet but I'm no professional, but I am more traditional, so I'd stick with binding lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:11 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

My search here didn't find this, but Google pointed me to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85068

I'm glad Ceri got a look at it.

The "reverse" guitar KWS is playing is very cool too!

Member #26797

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:48 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

orvilleowner wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85068

I'm glad Ceri got a look at it.

Haha - yeah, that thread kinda got my fingerprints onto it. :)

I do think this construction method looks gorgeous and I'm itching to get my hands on one for a tryout. Just as soon as they do it on a Strat with a small headstock, that is. I'm already a big admirer of the Fender Select models: this could just persuade me to break a long standing prejudice and buy a Strat with rosewood fingerboard (shock).

To the best of my knowledge nobody has done fingerboards this way before: I think it is probably a Fender innovation. Though handbuilder Taku Sakashta sometimes rebates the fronts into his hollowbodies in a similar way - I wonder if this is partly where they got the idea for doing it on necks?

Cheers - C

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:10 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I wonder how well (and for how long) they've tested this.

Could the use of different woods (rosewood in maple) cause trouble? A nightmare would be if the rosewood expanded more due to humidity and busted out of it's maple "pocket."

How are the necks finished? Fender typically applies a finish to the maple, but not the rosewood. Does masking off the rosewood complicate the finishing?

I see that Fender announced this new innovation back in January (2013), but there's been little discussion about them. I only noticed when they sent out an email a week ago. I don't get out to the shops very often to know if any have hit the stores.

Member #26797

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:32 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Structurally I don't see why there should be problems. People have been doing natural wood binding on necks for a long time now after all, and that doesn't strain and fail with atmospheric changes. Fender's channelled fingerboards are really just an advanced way of doing wood binding, so unless they're cramming them in too tight with mallets or something (seems unlikely) I'd have thought they'll function fine.

We don't have rosewood fingerboards falling off maple necks, after all, although I suppose those woods must expand and contract microscopically differently.

Still, only some years of road testing will tell for sure. I'd be happy to be that guinea pig! :)

Far as the finishing thing is concerned, that's an interesting question. I wonder if they have ready-sized cutout masks they can quickly pop over the rosewood while the maple edges are getting lacquered? Doing that masking job the old-fashioned way by hand with tape truly would be a painstaking task...

Cheers - C

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:31 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Ceri wrote:
We don't have rosewood fingerboards falling off maple necks, after all, although I suppose those woods must expand and contract microscopically differently.

But we do see frequent "fret sprout." And it seems to happen more with rosewood fingerboards than with solid maple necks. Fret sprout isn't the metal expanding, it's the wood contacting. So that's what made me think that the rosewood can "move" more than the maple.

Member #26797

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:36 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

orvilleowner wrote:
But we do see frequent "fret sprout." And it seems to happen more with rosewood fingerboards than with solid maple necks. Fret sprout isn't the metal expanding, it's the wood contacting. So that's what made me think that the rosewood can "move" more than the maple.

Ah, well the good bit about that is that if it happens on one of these channelled fingerboards it will only be the very tip of the fret that needs smoothing down, not the whole tang, since that will be hidden behind the maple binding. The same as on any conventionally bound neck.

...Be clear, I'm talking them up here because I think they look fabulous and I love the imaginative solving of luthiery-production problems that has been done to make them happen. But as yet I've never actually had my hands on one, so it's all theory so far! :)

I'm sure going to be one mighty disappointed bunny if in a few years stuff starts going wrong with them. But I don't think it's likely.

I want one!

Cheers - C

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:35 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

The neck carve is something im curious about- it has a 'Thick Modern C-shape' so Im guessing the neck is slightly fatter to accomodate the channel binding?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:49 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The way Fender guitars are built, with a set depth to the neck pocket, I doubt you'd get much difference in thickness. No more than you'd find on certain other guitars.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Ceri wrote:
Be clear, I'm talking them up here because I think they look fabulous and I love the imaginative solving of luthiery-production problems ...

I agree. It is pretty cool.

I hope we get some hands-on reports soon.

Member #26797

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:07 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Well I just had to have one of these it ticks the boxes for me but I know not for the traditionalists.
I like the big headstock, satin birdseye neck, hss and flame body. The top is reasonably matched but the rear body is three piece.
I have yet to plug it in and it still has sticker on humbucker ... only a matter of time...
The neck feels similar in shape to the deluxe. The photos do not do the birdseye justice.
I think this is the best neck I have seen on a model outside the custom shop.
apologies for the photo quality I had to use a flash.

Image :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:07 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Very pretty!

The 21-fret format may be a showstopper for some players.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:11 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Yes valid point Arjay.
Since the previous years model had 22 I was left wondering if it had something to do with the channel and the overhang of the fret board...
One positive is I will not have to remove the neck to get under the pickguard which I generally find I have to do with some of the 22 fret models E.g. Custom deluxe.
I probably do that more often than using that 22nd fret :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:08 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

jimmy_james wrote:
Since the previous years model had 22 I was left wondering if it had something to do with the channel and the overhang of the fret board...

Likely that's the most logical reason.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY