It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Question about a MIM Strat I just bought
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:44 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Went to a GC on a whim,and they had a MN9 dated Stratocaster there that is Burgandy Mist which I couldn`t let go,,problem is I have to wait 7 more days before it can be "Released"

The sales guy didn`t know much about it since it was a trade in/sell back.

It has what seem to be Kluson type tuning pegs,a rosewood fretboard,and as stated,,was seemingly built in 1999 as far as the serial goes.
Anyone can help me figure what model this might be??What pickups it might have??

Any help will help greatly

Phil

Post subject: Re: Question about a MIM Strat I just bought
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:52 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Classic series 60's Strat. As I remember, the only Strat made in Mexico that came in burgundy mist at the time :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:58 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you,now I have an idea where to research!!

The one I bought is exact to one pictured in The Stratocaster Guitar book by Tony Bacon on page 47,,which shows a 1961 strat in Burgandy Mist.

Thanks again for the quick reply!!
Phil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:41 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Blertles wrote:
Classic series 60's Strat. As I remember, the only Strat made in Mexico that came in burgundy mist at the time :D

+1

Burgundy Mist Metallic was one of the original colors selected for the Classic Series '60s Strat. As pretty as it is, this finish was not all that popular. It was finally discontinued three or four years ago (along with some other colors).

These guitars are easily upgradeable to near-US specs by installing a steel trem block and some CS 57/62 pickups.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:30 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Retroverbial wrote:
Blertles wrote:

+1

Burgundy Mist Metallic was one of the original colors selected for the Classic Series '60s Strat. As pretty as it is, this finish was not all that popular. It was finally discontinued three or four years ago (along with some other colors).

These guitars are easily upgradeable to near-US specs by installing a steel trem block and some CS 57/62 pickups.

Arjay

Thanks for the tips.
I "had" to get it due to the color,,I had never recalled seeing the color before and it seemingly is noticable by being odd.

I`ll look into the 57/62 pickups ,,as when I pick it up,,I plan on going for different strings,and while they are off,,I`d like to "Check under the hood" to see what might be installed.

Thanks for the help,,much appreciated
Phil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:24 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I think you'll find quality wiring and components throughout -- fullsize CTS pots and an Oak/Grigsby switch. I like to bring these guitars up to true US specs with a fullsize aluminum pickguard shield, upgraded pickups, steel trem block, and authentic Kluson Deluxe tuners. Beyond that, there's not much more that they need to transform them into pro-level instruments.

Rawk on!

8)

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Not sure why they'd hold it for seven days. I've had stuff I put in the store purchased the same day by someone else....

Good score, that series in my opinion is the best MIM series you can find.

facebook.com/313DBC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:14 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Some municipalities are required by code or ordinance to "hold" used equipment for some specified term before it can be sold. This gives police or any other interested parties time to review records and determine if the instrument was stolen. In Tucson, as an example, this period is 30 days.

HTH

Arjay