It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: What models of Strats were made in 1996
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:52 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

New to Strats and Fender as far as that goes. Always been a Gibson guy. Bought a few Strats in the last few weeks and I'm begining to see what all the love for Strats is all about! I was just curious what models they made in 96 and maybe how you can tell them apart. I can tell the Deluxe from the Standard but the rest are a mystery to me.

Thanks
Mark

Post subject: Re: What models of Strats were made in 1996
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:07 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Mark,

One thing you will find with Fender is that the one constant is change. Going from memory here - I think I can give you a pretty complete listing of the USA models. I'm not sure about the Made in Mexico, Made in Japan, and any other models under the Fender name in 1996.

Here goes for the USA models:

American Standard family (all have 22-fret necks, 2-post trems, hardtail is available on some):
1. American Standard Strat
2. Roadhouse Strat (an American Standard with Texas Special pickups)
3. Lone Star Strat (an HSS American Standard with two Texas Specials and a Duncan Pearly Gates + humbucker)
4. Big Apple Strat (an American Standard with 2 Duncan humbuckers - a '59 and the Pearly Gates +)

"Plus" Family (all have roller nuts and locking tuners):
5. Strat Plus (gold label Lace Sensors, regular American Standard trem, tremsetter)
5. Strat Plus Deluxe (blue, silver and red label Lace Sensors, "Fender/Floyd Rose" trem with locking saddles, ash veneers front and back)
6. Strat Ultra (blue, gold, and dual red label Lace Sensors - "Dual" is two Laces together in a humbucker configuration, "Fender/Floyd Rose" bridge, figured maple veneers front and back, ebony fingerboard only)

Special Series:
7. Floyd Rose Classic - a USA Strat with the Original Floyd Rose trem, available in HSS and HH pickup configurations - should still be Dimarzio humbuckers (PAF Pros I think).

Artist Series:
8. Eric Clapton Strat - would have 3 gold label Lace Sensors at this point in time, has active mid-boost, V-shaped neck, blocked vintage trem, maple fingerboard only
9. Yngwie Malmsteen Strat - would have a 22-fret neck, 2-post trem, DiMarzio pickups, scalloped neck, small headstock, maple or rosewood fingerboard
10. Jeff Beck Strat - would have 4 gold label Lace Sensors (it would have 2 in the bridge position like a humbucker), pushbutton to split the 2 Laces at the bridge, 2-post trem, roller nut, locking tuners, should still be the very fat neck with rosewood fingerboard only
11. Stevie Ray Vaughan Strat - reissue-style strat with medium-thick neck, pau ferro fingerboard, Texas Special pickups, left-handed vintage trem, gold hardware, sunburst only
12. Richie Sambora Strat - 22-frets, Original Floyd Rose trem, HSS pickups with a Dimarzio humbucker, mid-boost (half the output of the Clapton with a pushbutton to turn it on and off), star inlays

USA Reissue Series:
13. USA '57 Reissue Strat - maple fingerboard only, 21 vintage (i.e. small) frets, vintage 6-screw trem. By 1996 the neck could be a bit more "V" than in previous years, but they didnt' get to the vintage small V shape until 1998.
14. USA '62 Reissue Strat - rosewood fingerboard only, 21 vintage (i.e. small) frets, vintage 6-screw trem.

I think that's all the USAs (not counting custom shop). There were probably anywhere from 5-10 MIM models by then as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the great info. It looks my 96 falls into the Standard American catagory and my 2011 in the American Special Series.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:50 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

The 1st generation YJM Strats do have 21 frets like the large headstock models and not 22 as erroneously cited. They had a pair of HS3 humbuckers in the neck & bridge and a Fender AlNiCo 5 single-coil in the middle - in the form of an HSH configuration. Other features included an American 2-point bridge, TBX for the middle/bridge pickups and an EasyGlider string tree.

The floyded Sambora Strat with the stars and the bridge humbucker had the full 25dB boost. The gain has been reduced to 12dB when Richie opted for a more traditional guitar in 1999.

Floyd Rose Classics came initially with DiMarzio PAF Pro humbuckers. Fender replaced them with their own Atomic in 1998. Renamed American Special Strats with Floyd Rose in 2001. Diamondback humbuckers replaced the Atomic a few months before the discontinuation of the series in late 2003.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:21 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

John C wrote:

I think that's all the USAs (not counting custom shop). There were probably anywhere from 5-10 MIM models by then as well.

Hi John,
I think you forgot the US Buddy Guy Signature Stratocasters in honey blonde and two tone sunburst. :wink: (they started before 1996 of course and the 2-tone sunburst even went well into the 2000s)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:20 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

chromeface and smokin' frets - thanks for the updates. For some reason I thought the original Malmsteens were 22 frets, and I just forgot that the original Samboras had the full boost. And I just plain forgot about the Buddy Guy signature. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:56 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Only the MIM polka dot is still into production.

The USA Artist series has been dropped in 2010, there were rumours saying a new version of the USA BG is currently in the works - modeled after Buddy's current stage guitar - with Vintage Noiseless pickups and passive circuitry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:13 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

chromeface wrote:
Floyd Rose Classics came initially with DiMarzio PAF Pro humbuckers. Fender replaced them with their own Atomic in 1998. Renamed American Special Strats with Floyd Rose in 2001. Diamondback humbuckers replaced the Atomic a few months before the discontinuation of the series in late 2003.

Pretty Sure they came with Dimarzio Tone Zones My friend has two of them and I researched them quite a bit. his both has Tone Zones stock.

Rob Schwarz Comfirmed for me that a Diamondback is a Dh-1 which is an Atomic and a Hot Rod. They are all the same 16.5 ohm Alnico 5 Bridge pickup. He said they simply change the name and model number depending on the guitar it goes in but they are all the same pickup.
He knew exactly what I was talknig about. Fender only makes 5 actual humbuckers.
Great pickup by the way I replaced everyone of my strats with this 16.5 Alnico 5 model in the last few days.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:40 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Another cool, but rare MIM model is the Tex-Mex. It ran for a year or so, but then became the Jimmy Vaughan Signature Strat... Only difference was the fretboard radius I believe.

facebook.com/313DBC