It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Satin verses Gloss
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:59 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

A few years ago I noticed Fender was selling a number of Strats with a dull satin finish. Just wondering.... which do you like the best and why? Gloss or Satin?

Post subject: Re: Satin verses Gloss
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:15 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Yep - Fender effectively released a MIM Satin Standard Stratocaster in 2005 and offered a line of Squier Satin Strats with humbuckers during that period.

All these models were discontinued in 2008.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:45 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I love a thin satin finish. The nice thing about satin is you can polish it into a gloss if you like.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:53 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Gloss all the way...a guitar is like a car, they always look best all shiney and new!

FWIW

T2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:13 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Its no secret that a satin finish cuts production costs. The guitar manufacturer can spin a satin finish as a "unique and custom finish" while at the same time actually making extra money on the bottom line. Alternatively, satin finishes have allowed manufacturers to offer US-made instruments at import prices as well... excellent examples being the US Highway One and this...

the Fender Hand-Stained FSR American Special Strat which, in addition to satin finish, is also cost-cut by containing standard pups instead of Custom Shop Texas Specials like the "standard" gloss finish American Special line does. Music Man also had a fairly successful US-guitar-at-import-price series of guitars called the Sub 1 which "prominently featured" satin finish whereas in reality the satin finish actually helped bring the guitar into its low price-point.

I also have heard of guitar manufacturers touting that satin finish improves the tone of guitars.... I think maybe that is true if you have dog or cat ears! Personally, my thoughts are that satin finishes make a guitar look a bit more vintage or retro; especially if it is a satin finish over natural wood as opposed to paint. I think that the choice between a gloss and satin finish should be made solely on which looks the most visually appealing to the prospective owner. But a satin finish should cost you less because it certainly cost the manufacturer less!

my gear:

Fender American Special Stratocaster in candy apple red
Schecter V-1 Hellraiser in gloss white
Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat
Fender Mustang V (V2) and V 4x12 cab
Fender G-DEC 3 Thirty w/ ULT-4 footswitch
Fender Passport Mini

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I like a satin finish on the neck and gloss on the body. The satin neck finish just feels smooth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:01 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I like gloss on a solid colored body. I prefer satin on necks and any transluscent wood finishes. If you go with satin, you have to accept that it will wear quicker. My fadded LP, which isn't technically a satin finish, is showing signs of wear after just one year of regular playing. I'm okay with that.

'07 Les Paul Standard Faded LCPG #82
'14 Carvin ST300 Transparent Black
'12 Carvin CS424S Honeyburst
'66 Guild Starfire IV w/Bigsby

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:03 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Satin on the back of the neck can be nice. Aside from that I want a guitar shiny, though. Finish the job, please.

T2Stratman wrote:
Gloss all the way...a guitar is like a car, they always look best all shiney and new!

Right on. Yesterday I saw a new Bentley painted matte black. To pay so-o-o much for a car and then have it look like it hasn't been washed for 20 years! Sheesh.

Cheers - C

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Ceri wrote:
Satin on the back of the neck can be nice. Aside from that I want a guitar shiny, though. Finish the job, please.

T2Stratman wrote:

Right on. Yesterday I saw a new Bentley painted matte black. To pay so-o-o much for a car and then have it look like it hasn't been washed for 20 years! Sheesh.

Cheers - C

Maybe it was a stealth Bentley? Ya when I saw the satin finishes on some of the Strats, I was thinking it looked like Fender was saving money and a person was buying a road worn guitar. I love wood grain and gloss!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:23 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I thought those looked cool on-line, but not so much in person. Even the Highway 1's were like that, but they looked more faded then the satin paint... Just didn't look right on those...

facebook.com/313DBC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:35 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

how about my satin strat, a proper bonafide satin paintjob as oppose to just not bothering to buff the existing coat like on the AM SP and HWY1's ?

to answer your question xhefri, i love this particular finish. it is very different to the satin finish of my mates HWY 1 tele, and as i said it looks like it was supposed to be finished like it, well because it was. i get the impression this paint colour (and the other handful of colours they done) was never supposed to be gloss, lacquered or buffed.

as for necks, i have both satin and gloss, i dont really mind which to be honest though if i was having a guitar built, it would probably be satin necked.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:16 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

My satin red is one of the prettiest guitars in my collection. The only thing I dislike is that the finish will turn glossy where you rub it during normal playing over time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:42 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Satin finish on the neck [like our Claptons] has more playability IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:51 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I really like satin necks much more than gloss, but I could go either way on the body. I have an '03 Highway One Strat with a transparent red satin poly finish. The picture really can't do it justice.

I also have a black satin nitro Highway One Tele. It's also really cool and I like the feel of the satin finish. The Tele is actually getting shiny in certain places due to wear.

WARNING: Post may contain sarcasm, music humor or sci-fi references. Read with caution. Manufactured in a facility that also produces shameless self-promotion. If allergic to blues, please do not click the following link.

http://www.rebeccalaird.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:25 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Ceri wrote:

T2Stratman wrote:

Cheers - C

A Bently with a matte finish? They should take the car back! That is just SO wrong on so many levels! That is the kind of thing that makes ya throwup in your mouth a little bit. Guitars are one thing, a Bently is a whole different thing!

T2