It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 2004 Fender american made Strat 5oth Aniversery?s
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:44 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Looking at a used 2004 american strat 50th anniversiery hss? Was this a good year? any thing i should look for? Is it worth 600 with hard shell case?
http://www.bismanonline.com/2004_fender ... aniversary

Last edited by kingding on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 2004 Fender american made Strat 5oth Aniversery?s
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:29 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

kingding wrote:
Looking at a used 2004 american strat 50th anniversiery hss? Was this a good year? any thing i should look for? Is it worth 600 with hard shell case? Thanks for any comments.
not sure how to post pictures?

Good year - Yes

Look for - Nope

Worth - I guess - you bought it

Post pictures - Read the FAQ under posting/formatting or something like that.

You know, it really never happened without pictures?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:44 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Unless it's a sss Strat Am. in 2-solor-sunburst, a gold MIM sss Strat w/ tweed gig bag, a CS '54 Annvis. model or a sss Strat dlx, it's not a 50th Anniv. model.

It might have the 50th Anniv. neck plate (which many Strats did), but it's not a 50th Anniv. Model.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:20 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I took a look at the photo; it's been modded with at least the mirrored pickguard. The photo isn't great, but it kind of looks like it has the LSR roller nut and maybe even the locking trem bridge - but again I just can't tell because the resolution isn't great.

I would try to get the serial number and run it past Fender's Consumer Relations at consumerrelations@fender.com . However, they may be closed tomorrow for MLK Day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:27 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Looks like a modified American Deluxe Strat HSS LT.

One of the clamps from the locking saddle securing the low E string is missing.

The colour is not standard for the USA Deluxe Series, I think the body has been stripped down and refinished.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:40 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

chromeface wrote:

Looks like a modified American Deluxe Strat HSS LT.

One of the clamps from the locking saddle securing the low E string is missing.

The colour is not standard for the USA Deluxe Series, I think the body has been stripped down and refinished.

The body looks like Chrome Blue to me, a standard color on American Series Strats at that time - particularly the HSS and HH models. I can't tell if the headstock decal is chrome or regular from the photo. Also it would be helpful to see the back of the guitar to see if it has the contoured neck heel or the regular neck heel to see if the body is a refinned American Deluxe or if it is an American Series body.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:21 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Chromeface is right it was the guys friend, he needed money and helped him out. It was oraginaly sunburst and he had some blue paint left over from painting his bike and had a body shop paint it, he also did something with the finish on the neck to make it faster but not sure what he did. it is a hss LT, 2004 he had all the paper work it cost 1149.00. he had the papers on the rolling nut, and wiring diagram. Like mentioned it has the 50th anversary neck plate, the neck is straight, the paint job is good, the frets nor the fret board have no wear, no cracks, no buzzing all the way down the neck, no buzzing on the pickups or the volume nobs or pickup selector switch.Also came with 2 other pick guards the original white one,and a like deluxe white one. He told me he'd take 500.00 with hard shell case for it! so i took it. I will replace the pick guard with a Brown Deluxe or a Black Pick guard. Some questions

Good deal? Please say i didnt get screwed. (Even though its custom paint job)
Should i have got a new fender lonestar or G&l Comanche cheaper ones for 600?
Are the scm singles coils good?
What does scm stand for?
What is the humbucker pickup?

What are the nobs on the back of the tunners for?

Whats the LT Stand for?

Thanks for your support, just need a good amp now all i have is a super champ xd for now, need a fender or egnater. and ill be giging this summer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:56 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Well count me as saying "good eye" to chromeface as well - I though it might have been an American Series HSS with the roller nut and locking trem added to it instead of a refinished American Deluxe - of course per Occam's Razor you should always go with the simplest solution, which chromeface did.

kingding wrote:
Good deal? Please say i didnt get screwed. (Even though its custom paint job)

Even with the refin it's a good deal; a stock American Deluxe HSS Strat should go for between $800 - $900. From the photo it appears to be a decent paint job. Not sure about doing something to the neck to make it "play faster"; these already had a satin finish that was pretty "fast". Maybe they stripped the finish and put on an oil-and-wax finish like an Ernie Ball, Peavey Wolfgang, or EVH Wolfgang?

kingding wrote:
Should i have got a new fender lonestar or G&l Comanche cheaper ones for 600?

I don't think so; as long as it played well I would go for a used USA over the new Fender Lonestar that is Made in Mexico or the G&L Tribute Comanche that is made in Indonesia. There is nothing wrong with MIM Fenders (or the Lonestar) or the G&L Tributes, but you would pay $600 for them and have them be worth $300-$350 in resale the minute you walked out the door while you can resell this Strat for the $500 pretty easily.

kingding wrote:

Are the scm singles coils good?
What does scm stand for?

Actually the pickups are “SCN”, which stands for “Samarium Cobalt Noiseless” pickups. They were designed by Bill Lawrence for Fender and they are a type of stacked single coil-sized humbucker. I think they are okay but I’ve always preferred regular pickups to any of the noiseless pickups I’ve tried – which includes Fender’s “Vintage Noiseless” (which was used on American Deluxes from 1998-2003; I had a 1998), Fender’s SCNs (used on American Deluxes from 2004-2009; I had a 2004), and Kinmans (had them on a custom build). I thought the SCNs were the best of the three, but I still prefer a good 1960s-style single coil on a Strat but that’s just me.

kingding wrote:
What is the humbucker pickup?

I think the humbucker on these is a Fender Atomic humbucker; these used to be called the “DH-1” pickup but sometime around 2004 they changed the name to “Atomic”. It’s one of Fender’s own pickups.

kingding wrote:
What are the nobs on the back of the tunners for?

The guitar has locking tuners; the knob on the back of the tuner locks the string into the tuner post. To restring you loosen the knob on the back to release the string from the tuner, pull the new string straight through the tuner, pull it tight so you don’t get any winds around the post, then tighten the knob on the back to lock the string inside the tuner post. The knob controls a small pin that holds the string in place.

kingding wrote:
Whats the LT Stand for?

The “LT” stands for “Locking Trem”. The trem has locking bolts on it like a Floyd Rose bridge (in fact this bridge was called the “Fender-Floyd Rose” bridge during the 1990s while Fender was the exclusive distributor for Floyd Rose products).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:26 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Why don't people ask these questions BEFORE they spend their money? I've noticed this alot lately. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:52 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Fender officially renamed the DH-1 as Atomic in 2010/11.

The DH-1 is the most popular Fender humbucker which came as an OEM on many USA and Mexico-made guitars.
It is also available with zebra bobbins.

Even the HWY1s and USA Specials came with the DH-1.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:57 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

If they did a good job on the paint you came out good. I think it looks sharp. Plus, now you have a one of a kind Strat. Good job.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

All 2004 Stratocasters had the Anniversary logo. Doesn't mean much. But if its an American Standard with a HSC, that is a good price, even if its not perfect.

facebook.com/313DBC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:52 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the replys guys, I think im going to put the white pearl pickguard on it that was in a bag he gave me. Thanks again.