It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Neck Pickup only
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:06 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello all...
Stratocaster American Standard 2009

I just order my Warmoth custom Pickguard sporting only the neck pickup and the volume ( wich is taking the place of one of the tones) I will only have my neck pickup connected to the volume control "THAT'S IT" I just want to validate with you the way I will connect my neck pickup, See the image, feel free to comment... 'f course the Volume will be relocated... Thanx

Post subject: Re: Neck Pickup only
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:39 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

That's good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:01 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Merci StratTélé59

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:16 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Anyone knows what I can expect as the sound of my neck pickup ( original Alnico V ) once this mod is done? I love the sound of my neck pickup and wondering what will be the differences I can notice once its connected like this. - Tx all...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:02 am 
Roadie
Roadie

Sighter wrote:
Anyone knows what I can expect as the sound of my neck pickup ( original Alnico V ) once this mod is done? I love the sound of my neck pickup and wondering what will be the differences I can notice once its connected like this. - Tx all...

I'm not to good at given written descriptions of a sound! It will however sound a little different from the sound you have with a tone pot in line and of course, it will only be one sound (although of course volume can affect the sound, but you get what I mean I'm sure!). Have you thought about putting in a tone control too? I'm assuming there's a particular reason you don't want one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:36 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

For the next year and so on for, I hope a long time I am playing with that band where the tone I want out of the strat is strictly the neck Pup, I barely have any break when we play, meaning I'm solo all the time and I am never using anything else on the strat.. I have a Superbe Telecaster for and if I need the clean wich is amazing, and a Liberatore for Heavy sound, again if needed, but right now 98% of the need I have for the strat is neck and sometimes when I play I get a little excited and I want nothing in the way, hehehhe, I'm adjusting the tool for me, not me to the tool... ;-) I know it's lazy but hey, got to give it a shot..!

BTW, I am using a complete different Pickguard and volume control, so besides the fact that I am moving my Pup to the new Pguard I am not modifying any of my original parts..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:41 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Let me see if I can help.
You only have it connected to a vol with no tone control or capacitors.
The neck pickup will sound brighter, edgier.
With zero capitance, from a tone pot of 250k and a .022 mf cap, it might sound like if your
Amp has the treble all the way up.
Try it, I'm interested to see the final outcome.

Personally, IMHO a Strat with one pu is, eh a one trick pony.
I would at least wire it like a telecaster a neck and a bridge with tone pots
and caps.

oogway, kungfu panda 2008

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:20 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hell Low...

SHE IS, a one trick pony right now, she got an amazing Tele with Texas Special by her side and my incredible Liberatore... and as far as I'm concern if it's not too dramatik I could get more treble on the neck.. as soon as my PickGuard arrived I'll set it up and report back here.. thanx

Been rehearsing with the band for over a month now and besides having all the switches and pots in my way when I get a little excited, I never move the position anywhere else... and I have to admit I am curious about the result ( I am not modifying any original parts ;-))
that original neck Pup in my .50 Caliber plus Boogie is amazing

Weird look, but right now my results with the band are more important than the look...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:41 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Stevie Ray Vaughan had a Strat with only one pickup in the neck position. He named it "Butter" and/or "Yellow" based on its color. It was stolen in '87 and never recovered, and when he had it he didn't use it very often so it's one of his lesser-known Strats.

In this pic of him playing it the finish looks like sparkle/metalflake, but that's just film grain:

It might be a bit cliche to put your initials on it, but that big empty space under the strings is a great place to put a sticker or decal.

Have you already got the custom pickguard and done the mod, or is the pic you linked just a mock-up of what it'll look like?

The cheap and easy way to do what you want is to use the stock guard, leave the 3 pickups in place, remove the switch and two of the pots and just connect the neck pickup. Hardware stores sell "panel plugs" to fill the two empty pot holes (round, slightly domed plugs that just clip into place). With the empty switch slot and the plugs it won't look quite as clean as a custom pickguard, but with the two inactive pickups in place it won't look quite as weird.

If you haven't already paid to have a custom pickguard made, I'd definitely try that approach to see if a 1 pickup Strat will be as satisfying as you hope it will be.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

An example of a panel plug (also called hole plugs) -- they're commonly available in white, black, and chrome: