It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Mexican fender strat vs american fender strat!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:04 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I wonder what is the difference between the guitars manufactured in Mexico and the guitars manufactured in the United States.
I want to know everything about the guitars and i want to know whats your favourite.

Post subject: Re: Mexican fender strat vs american fender strat!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:17 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Lets put it this way. Out of all the famous Stratocaster players, how many use a MIM as their main instrument. That is the difference.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:49 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

My favorite Strat was a "57" two color sunburst that I found in a pawn shop in Hollywood,ca for $400 in 1976 somebody had painted it white with a paint brush....I had to do a refinn! I must say I really like and own a MIM standard strat and I love it! I know many pro's who play them here in the Phx area. Your mileage may vary tho...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:35 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

thestrokes wrote:
I wonder what is the difference between the guitars manufactured in Mexico and the guitars manufactured in the United States.

Fender guitars manufactured in the United States are assembled by Mexican-Americans while Fender guitars manufactured in Mexico are assembled by Mexicans.

Both lines are equally-fine instruments in my book as are the Fender products made in Japan.

¿Entiendes?

:mrgreen:

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:20 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I own a MIA Strat and have played many MIM's. Both are great players. If you have a choice my advice is to get American made just for the intrinsic value and the heritage to pass down in your family. As I said MIM's are great players, but IMHO the Strat is an American Icon instrument.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:48 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

thanks guys
i probably will buy a mim because its cheaper and its also good quality.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:51 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'd spend 90% of my money on a good amp and 10% of my money on a guitar. Then down the road when you're absolutely positive what you want in a guitar, you won't have shelled out $1000 on something that isn't what you really wanted in the end.

A crap guitar will sound better through a good amp than a good guitar will sound through a bad amp.

Just my .02

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:59 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

rabmag wrote:
I'd spend 90% of my money on a good amp and 10% of my money on a guitar. Then down the road when you're absolutely positive what you want in a guitar, you won't have shelled out $1000 on something that isn't what you really wanted in the end.

A crap guitar will sound better through a good amp than a good guitar will sound through a bad amp.

Just my .02

My cousin has very good amps so i might ask him for one and dont have to spend money

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:37 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

SNick wrote:
Lets put it this way. Out of all the famous Stratocaster players, how many use a MIM as their main instrument. That is the difference.

I do. :wink:

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:55 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I have had and still do have MIM's. The newer ones from 2006 till now are some of the best Fender has ever produced. However, the MIA's during that same period have gone up in quality, fit and finish, and are better overall than 10 years ago. I'm not a snob by any means. It's just the feel and tones from the MIA's are just that much better than the MIM's it's no contest as far as I'm concerned.

Buy one when you can afford one and you will see what I mean.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

thestrokes wrote:
I want to know everything about the guitars and i want to know whats your favourite.

Walked into a guitar shop in Portland, OR. First thing I grabbed, a MIM Strat. First thing I did, bend the 'B' string,*pop* the 'G' string pops out the nut.

Asked the store clerk what was up, his response, "QC on MIM is poor".

Picked up another MIM - poor action.

Picked up an American Standard. The difference was night and day. Picked up a Deluxe and it was better than the Standard - mostly because of the compound radius neck.

To be honest, one of the things that you are shelling out more money for is QC. Guitars are built quickly on an assembly line, the more time it takes to build and inspect one the more that cost is pushed down to you, the consumer. You could find a MIM strat that plays as well as a MIA but your odds are just that, a potential string popping out a nut or poor action, to a lucky specimen of MIM strat that plays superbly. It would likely take many trips to many different shops and then I would suggest finding ones on Craiglist too. A MIM Strat on CL usually goes for $250 - $350. Many of these are just as good as buying one in a shop, as the owner bought it and stopped playing after a month.

As a new player, a poor guitar can be your biggest adversary. If you don't enjoy playing a guitar you bought because it's cheap, you'll be less enthusiastic about picking it up and playing.

One of the things that keeps me playing is that Deluxe strat went home with me. Her names Darla and I'm pretty sure she's a lesbian as she likes to talk about women with big butts. Sometimes I don't even feel like playing, I just can't keep my fingers off her fretboard.

Good luck and if you decide to do a MIM - play A LOT of them in many different shops. Find the one you Ike th best. Play every note, listen for buzz, bend strings, use the tremolo, ask for a tuner, see if it stays in tune after playing it for 15 minutes or so.

Pickups can be replaced - the way the guitar plays is most important IMO. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:40 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

One clear difference between American and most Mexican Strats is that extra fret. That is, unless the Mexican Strat is a Blacktop, which is a 22-fret guitar. Presently, the only Strats that offer humbuckers in the neck and bridge (or even a singlecoil in the middle, or even a Floyd Rose) are the Blacktops, made in Mexico. And of course, Mexican Strats have more colour options. The Blacktop HH/HSH won't quite stand up to an American Strat, but it may just do better than any Ibanez at that price.

I would have opted for a Blacktop HSH, but I can't get one here in India, and you can't trust one of these without trying.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:19 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I have one of each.
2009 Standard Strat
2012 American Standard Strat

My Standard has been and continues to be a great guitar with absolutely no issues. After about 2 years with her I dropped in some CS69 pickups, Graph tech saddles and completely shielded the pup cavity, pup covers, added a blend pot and made sure there were no ground loops in the wiring. A very versatile guitar that can go from pedal steel emulations in country to Hey Joe on the fly.

My American Standard was purchased because Fender decided to drop in the Fat 50 pickups that was part of my pickup search before deciding on the 69's. She is a joy to play and look at. As on now this guitar is far noisier with hum than my Standard, but that will go way soon when I get around to doing the same shielding and ground loop work as I did on my Standard.

I have had several people with much more experience than I play both of the guitars. They have the same opinion as I do. You can't go wrong with either one of them. They both feel, look and sound great. Sure my American has one extra fret on it, but really unless you are playing some very specific stuff and trying to do it as a tribute, having 22 or 21 frets makes very little difference.

Get one, get the other or get them both.

Blues Junior Tweed NOS
2007 Line6 Spider Jam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:37 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Differences;
MIM. MIA
21 frets. 22 frets
Ceramic pickupsSSS Alnico V fat 50s
Bridge pu no
Tone control. Bridge pickup tone pot mid/br no load tone
Plastic truss plug. Walnut truss rod plug
String spacing is different on both
Assmb Ensenada. Assmb Corona factory
It's a matter of choice, play both, feel and sound are gonna be
Diff so play as many ad you can.
This looks messier than anticipated, blame the iPhone lol

oogway, kungfu panda 2008

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:19 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

After reading the good info. from the other posts, I would say now go look at both, new and used and buy the one you like best for what you feel you can afford. Both MIA and MIM are great. You'll be happy you bought a Fender.