It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Whats a New 1989 Fender Eric Clapton Stratocaster with tweed
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:50 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Whats a New 1989 Fender Eric Clapton Stratocaster with plastic all still on and candy with tweed case worth?

Post subject: Re: Whats a New 1989 Fender Eric Clapton Stratocaster with t
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:05 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

The one thing that you need to look at is how it plays because it is so clean the question begs to be asked why was it not played? Second how does the guitar play to you? And you can determine how much you are willing to pay. I have seen 850.00 to 1150.00. I have had 2 and was only able to get the right around 1,000.00.
Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

For a NOS '89 I would say $850 to $1200 depending on condition and playability. Just because it has it's pigkguard plastic doesn't mean it plays great and sometimes the plastic can cause issues with the finish of the plastic if left on for years. If you can get it for under $1K your getting a good deal I would think, especially with the original case and case candy.

FWIW

T2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:59 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

If it is nos and really clean' an easy $1200. I would not take less if I owned it...and I do have a pewter 89 Clapton Strat!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:24 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Id love to see a picture of this guitar cant imagine that many years and never played I know there are closet classics out there but I would have to play it!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:50 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Xhefri wrote:
If it is nos and really clean' an easy $1200. I would not take less if I owned it...and I do have a pewter 89 Clapton Strat!

I also. I'd say mine was an 8/10 as far as condition, not a bit of rust on it, and mint looking from a distance. I paid $1850 for it on Ebay 4 years ago this season, because I wanted that guitar and had no intention of losing it to someone else with the same mindset. It also has a low 3 digit neck date. It's a pity they don't go for more. You can inquire of Vintage Guitar magazine, or Gruhn's Guitars if you want a ball park figure on the going rate. Also keep in mind that neck dates and body dates during that period of time are a bit skewed and you may find them far apart. IMHO, if you want that guitar badly enough buy it. You'll pay much for a new American Standard with less charisma.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:23 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Xhefri wrote:

X Lets see that '89...here is my '89!

T2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:49 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

The "Signature" Blackie did not officially appeared until 1991, though Fender produced a few EC Strats in Black prior to that date.

Here's a black 1989 (not mine).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:35 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

We've discussed how this came to be elsewhere and often. I've always taken exception to the fact that they slapped the word 'BLACKIE' on the face of the headstock. It was unnecessary IMHO. We know that to add a black finish to the line was Eric's idea and when, even to the history of, and who built the prototype, but no evidence that it was his idea to name the guitar. I would expect, however, that anything that went on that guitar would have to pass muster with him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:40 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Ah yes...the signed guitar, of which you have spoken before. Such a busy forum that one tends to forget the milestone posts. Nice back line too.! For me, Pewter is the iconic finish for this model.[...though Chromeface will remind us that he also played the red and green, and I've also owned a black one]..in that is was a prototype which he played most often, cigarette burns and all. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:11 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

This is my 89 Eric Clapton Strat. As ZZDoc was pointing out, the serial number might not really indicate the actual date of manufacture. I need to pull the neck off and see for sure. Mint though!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:41 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

ZZ...I would agree whole heartedly that the Pewter (called Anthrocyte back then) is the best color from the first version...but I wouldn't mind having one of the custom shop daphe blue versions too :mrgreen:

X...That is one clean example and nice photography of it too! I did not know there were any black guitars prior to the official release. I read that EC didn't want to do the black at first.

FWIW

T2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:00 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

T2Stratman wrote:
ZZ...I would agree whole heartedly that the Pewter (called Anthrocyte back then) is the best color from the first version...but I wouldn't mind having one of the custom shop daphe blue versions too :mrgreen:

X...That is one clean example and nice photography of it too! I did not know there were any black guitars prior to the official release. I read that EC didn't want to do the black at first.

FWIW

T2

At inception black was not included. Then he got to thinking that a black guitar was in order. The first prototype, built by Mike Stevens, was sold at auction as Lot #86 in 2004. The neck end is stamped 2/23/88. It was one of two neck Stevens had built. It was Eric's main stage guitar from the summer of 1990 until March of 1993...used on the Journeyman tour, 24 Nights, and the Japan Tour with George Harrison, to name a few. There's a thread entitled '1987 Clapton Signature Strat Prototype George Blanda 7 of 12 which was posted on the Let' Talk Custom Shop Forum by jk456 on August 14, 2009 in which we carried on a rather intense discussion which came to include this guitar. It will serve to read the entire thread including the links which are included in some of the posts because the chronology of the evolution of this model is a bit convoluted in terms of dates, parts, and finishes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:03 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I had a newer black Clapton Strat, for 2 days, then I sold it to get a Strat Plus Deluxe.

The Clapton strat had the noiseless pickups. I always wanted a early Pewter one with Lace Sensors, so hopefully someday I'll end up with one of those.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:24 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

The CS did a limited-edition run of Clapton signatures in EC Grey and Daphne Blue.

Personally I never seen those LTDs with Lace Sensors, though I bet that everyone can swap the VNs with Clapton's "previous" pickup configuration.

I say "previous" because Eric still uses Lace Sensors when he went into the slide repertoire.