It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How much is my Strat worth?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:04 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello! I am looking to sell my guitar (sadly no longer play thanks to work, school, and family obligations and we are in a tight spot financially) but not sure where to even begin on asking price. I will most likely have to pawn it so i want to go in knowing a good estimate so i know to walk away if they really try and screw me. I was hoping to get some insight here! :D

I have a 2002-2003 Strat that was made in Mexico. (I am aware that the Mexi made guitars are less.) It has a rosewood fretboard and humbucking pickups on the bridge. It is in great shape, with little to no body damage.

Also, it has a black hard case that will be going with it that is also in great condition inside and out, as well as strap, new strings in package, slide, and capo. Hoping that will increase value also.

Here are some pics-->

Please let me know what you think! I appreciate it greatly!

Post subject: Re: How much is my Strat worth?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:14 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

$300 max.

Nothing special about the guitar. Thousands were made. Brand new ones sell for $500 or less. MIM Strats do not appreciate in value.

BTW, I own a 2009 MIM Standard Strat that I love so I am not bad mouthing your guitar.

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:15 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

$300.00 with the case. A pawn shop may only give you $100.00 for it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:45 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I just checked eBay's completed auctions. In mint condition with a hard case you might get $350 for it.

Guitar stores that buy used gear (Guitar Center, Music Go Round, etc) will generally give you half of what they plan to sell it for, and they generally list things at higher than eBay prices. So if they think they can sell it for $400 they'd give you $200 for it -- that's about the most you can possibly hope for selling it to a store. Pawn shops will pay much less.

You'd make much more money selling it yourself on Craigs List or eBay. Or a bulletin board at your church or something like that.

And oddly, you'd get even more money selling everything separately. The case only adds a little value to the guitar -- you'd make more selling the case by itself and the guitar by itself. And you'd make more money off the guitar by selling the neck individually, the body individually, the hardware individually. (On eBay or CL -- stores and pawnshops wouldn't be interested in pieces.) Doing it that way you might get $500 in total.

And before you sell it, unhook the G string from under the string tree (the retainer thingy on the peghead). Only the top two strings should be hooked under the tree. Sharks will look at that and assume you're a newbie and try to screw you with a lowball offer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:22 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate it! I never thought to take it to Guitar Center. I think I'll start there...

I'll also be sure to fix the strings. Thanks for the tip!

As for taking it apart and selling pieces I'm afraid I'm too much of a newb and unskilled to take the risk. But interesting to know you can!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:29 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

tbazzone wrote:
$300.00 with the case. A pawn shop may only give you $100.00 for it.

+1

Perhaps $125 owing to the hardshell case.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:00 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I agree in selling the case and guitar separately if you find GC's offer too low.
And/or go through Craigslist or local paper and try your luck there. CL offers them around $300-350 and I would imagine actual sale is in the $200-250 area.

While the MIM are fine guitars ( I have two of them ) the resale is not very high.

"You can't spend what you ain't got, you can't lose what you ain't never had" ~ McKinley Morganfield

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:24 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

tyronne wrote:
I agree in selling the case and guitar separately if you find GC's offer too low.
And/or go through Craigslist or local paper and try your luck there. CL offers them around $300-350 and I would imagine actual sale is in the $200-250 area.

While the MIM are fine guitars ( I have two of them ) the resale is not very high.

Yup they go about the same in my neck of the woods. Just not much resale value on them.