It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender USA Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Strat
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:45 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi guys to start of with i just joined today so if anyone has written about this before or asked the same questions, im sorry to pee anybody off.....

firstly ive come across the above at my local guitar dealer. Its a white voodoo strat, lazer etched plate, olympic white with a rosewood fret board, comes with original case and all the goodies inside, its second hand but its in excellent condition, as in almost never played. Now heres my questions ......

..... it doesnt come with a certificate of authenticity, does this matter? the dealer is a trusted one but to be honest this piece would be more of an investment that my main go to guitar, so when i heard this i was a bit skeptical. Also how collectible are they? its around £1300 and i was wondering if i could get your opinions on this (this would be my first strat by the way but have always wanted one, and just saw this) ive been told sig guitars are just fads and its normally best to get anything without a name attached to it, im not so sure, but in this case i heard they are very limited as the hendrix "family" have pulled out from theyre association with this guitar ....

any advice plz

Post subject: Re: Fender USA Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Strat
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:49 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

digital.ronin.dm wrote:
Hi guys to start of with i just joined today so if anyone has written about this before or asked the same questions, im sorry to pee anybody off.....

firstly ive come across the above at my local guitar dealer. Its a white voodoo strat, lazer etched plate, olympic white with a rosewood fret board, comes with original case and all the goodies inside, its second hand but its in excellent condition, as in almost never played. Now heres my questions ......

..... it doesnt come with a certificate of authenticity, does this matter? the dealer is a trusted one but to be honest this piece would be more of an investment that my main go to guitar, so when i heard this i was a bit skeptical. Also how collectible are they? its around £1300 and i was wondering if i could get your opinions on this (this would be my first strat by the way but have always wanted one, and just saw this) ive been told sig guitars are just fads and its normally best to get anything without a name attached to it, im not so sure, but in this case i heard they are very limited as the hendrix "family" have pulled out from theyre association with this guitar ....
any advice plz

Have you checked the prices for new ones?

used ones? sold auction prices?

Have you compared the guitar store's serial numbers
and features compared to the original Hendrix models?

Buy it and ask the dealer if the guitar is not as described,
will he take it back?

Toppscore 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:47 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I never seen a white one with rosewood fretboard. I didnt think they made them on that model.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:09 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

goodinbed wrote:
I never seen a white one with rosewood fretboard. I didnt think they made them on that model.

Well, that leads to three conclusions:
1) It is the most rare one-of-a-kind.
2) There are others, but are so good and prized that nobody will sell.
3) That one you know is a good fake.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

These were never made with a rosewood finger board. Maple only

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:56 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

tbazzone wrote:
These were never made with a rosewood finger board. Maple only

I thought the VooDoo Strat (it was the right-handed Strat with a lefty headstock and reverse-angled bridge pickup) was available with both maple and rosewood. The Hendrix Tribute was maple board only.

I guess it's possible that Fender add the rosewood option after the Hendrix family pulled out of the deal and the VooDoo guitar became the "American Special '68 Reverse Strat" (or whatever the hell they called it then). I have played one of the post-Hendrix named ones with a rosewood board.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:25 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey John, when you played it how was it? does it play any different to any other strat? yeah i though that the voodoo strat came in both..... hmmmmm well, i sent an email to fender customer service division, and i guess ill have to wait to see if they will provide me with more information.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I think ill wait for fender to get back to me and then ill make a judgement. Starting to think its not really worth it. Spoke to a guitar dealer today and he was telling me that only really rich people and musicians collect guitars nowadays and its a dying thing, not sure if this is worth buying to play and keep as a piece to sell on later.....

its difficult to check for prices of news ones also because they stopped making these in the late 90s i believe, i think it was a short run of like 1 year, so pretty much all of them out there will be second hand..

once again guys, thanks for all the input

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:26 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/ ... 00183.html

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:03 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Ask Mike Eldred. He will know more about this than anyone else.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:26 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Mike will only know about the CS version.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:28 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

digital.ronin.dm wrote:
Hey John, when you played it how was it? does it play any different to any other strat? yeah i though that the voodoo strat came in both..... hmmmmm well, i sent an email to fender customer service division, and i guess ill have to wait to see if they will provide me with more information.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I think ill wait for fender to get back to me and then ill make a judgement. Starting to think its not really worth it. Spoke to a guitar dealer today and he was telling me that only really rich people and musicians collect guitars nowadays and its a dying thing, not sure if this is worth buying to play and keep as a piece to sell on later.....

its difficult to check for prices of news ones also because they stopped making these in the late 90s i believe, i think it was a short run of like 1 year, so pretty much all of them out there will be second hand..

once again guys, thanks for all the input

Well for me this was one of those play for a minute or two and hang back up on the wall guitars. The neck was a fairly thin in depth "U" shape - and frankly those always kill my left hand and after you've played for years you know which ones to walk away from quickly. It wasn't Ibanez Wizard thin, but it was thinner than an American Standard or AV '62. Nice guitar but would never work for me so I moved on quickly. Since this was circa 2001 it was that '68 Reverse Headstock Strat, not the Hendrix VooDoo, but the only difference is the later version didn't have the Hendrix etching on the neck plate and it came with a regular Fender strap and cable instead of the coiled cable and the ACE strap.

From what I remember the Hendrix VooDoo was made for almost 2 years (1998-1999) then the '68 Reverse Headstock Strat was also made for 2-3 years (2000 to either 2002 or maybe into 2003).

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:17 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Resident expert here.

The 1997 Hendrix Tribute strats were full left handed guitars turned upside down. Those were only made in Olympic White and came only with maple fretboards.

The 1997-1998 Voodoo Strat and the 2001 '68 Reverse Headstock Strat (same guitar as the Voodoo strat minus the Hendrix-engraved neckplate) came in Olympic White, Black, and Sunburst, available with either maple or rosewood fretboards.

I say jump on it. I don't think I've ever seen one with a certificate of authenticity. At least not on the second-hand market. So that's not too weird. If it is real it should have all the typical features you're familiar with. It should have a TN7 serial number regardless of the year in which it was made. All the necks were made in 1997, even though the various projects got halted at some point because of legal troubles. Thus some were not released until 98 and after 2000.

If it's all original it should include the ACE style guitar strap and a white curly amp cable. The case should be black tolex and it should be the type with the Fender amp badge on the outside.

If it has all these things, it's more than likely real/I don't know how else to assure its authenticity short of taking it apart. The only other thing you can check, is if it has the tremolo cover removed on the back, there should be either a V or a 68 written in permanent marker on the body underneath the springs. Anyways, it wouldn't make sense for someone to go out and buy the case and case candy to try to fake it, seeing as how the straps alone can run hundreds of dollars, as well as the Hendrix-engraved neckplate.

As far as the guitar itself- these things are unique. I am personally obsessed. Tonally, they are distinct from any other strat you will play. And if you are a believer in "vibe", then it seals the deal. I love everything about my Voodoo Strats/68 Reverse. I literally can't stop buying them.

Regarding the investment value, they will definitely appreciate. They are simply rare in comparison to a lot of other models out there, and they happen to be attached to the name of the most iconic stratocaster player. I would try to talk them down on the price, but I know a pristine Voodoo Strat with all case candy included can go for up to $3000-3300 USD. Highly used ones will hover around $1700-2200 USD. Based on eBay auction-watching alone, I can say that mine have definitely appreciated in value since I bought them not all that long ago.

On the other hand, these things beg to be played. Sure, don't take it out and gig it if you're trying to preserve its pristine condition for investment value. But the value appreciation is marginal enough that you won't change anything playing it around the house. In fact, you should. I tried the whole investment thing. Didn't work out. I gigged both my white one and my sunburst one. The black one was pristine enough that I decided to preserve it, but I'd almost rather sell it than see it sit.

Bottom line, if the only reason you're buying it is to try to turn a profit, there are better ways to do that in much less time. You're going to have to hold onto it for a long time to justify that. If it's not vintage, people generally aren't collecting it solely for investment value. On the other hand, if it is a guitar that really interests you as a guitarist, and the fact that it will appreciate in value is simply another reason in favor of pushing you to get it, I say go for it. You will not regret it.

[edit: the Cypress Mica Strat in the pic is a one-off, not a Voodoo strat of any sort. The black and the sunburst are both Voodoo Strats, and the Olympic White one is a '68 Reverse Headstock]

Tunes for any mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO6xhc71KyE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV5Hm3tScm0

Last edited by mthomps07 on Thu May 31, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:58 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

mthomps07 wrote:
[edit: the Cypress Mica Strat in the pic is a one-off, not a Voodoo strat of any sort.
The black and the sunburst are both Voodoo Strats,
and the Olympic White one is a '68 Reverse Headstock]

Hi, MThomps07! Excuse my ignorance. Which one of your's is 1997 Hendrix Tribute?
Or, maybe I am not looking at any 1997 Hendrix Tributes and therefore,
your displayed Hendrix guitars are not what I am describing.

Remember, I'm not questioning your expertise, as I'm more trying to understand.
So, please appease me :D Thanks.

http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/archives/000183.html#tribute

http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/archives/000183.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=1997+fender+hendrix+tribute+stratocaster&start=10&hl=en&sa=N&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=hS3HT8rxIujq2AWfx9j2Cg&ved=0CKcBELAEOAo&biw=1400&bih=913
"For starters, the Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster, which is built in Fender's factory in Corona,
is a LEFT-handed model strung RIGHT-handed and then reversed,
with the strap button on the lower horn, so that right-handed players would appear
as Jimi did when looking at themselves in the mirror."

I thought the strap button would be on the short horn to flip/reverse the guitar body
for right handed players, rather than the natural long horn.

Flipping the Strat with the strat button on the short horn, would more limit
the right-handed guitarist's access to the 18th-21st frets as the fretboard
would be a bit "blocked" for Right handed players?

Are you left handed or right handed?

Also, the tuners, IMHO, should follow the side of the longer horn on the bottom.

All of your guitar's tuners are on the side of the short horn,
which allows for more fretboard access.
Also, the guitar strap buttons seem to be naturally on the long horn.

I am guessing that none of your guitars are 1997 Fender Hendrix Tributes.

Basically, your four (4) guitars look like regular Strats with reverse necks?

Please correct me as I believe the links to the above posted pictures show strap buttons
on the shorter horn and the tuners on the bottom side along with the longer horn.
Maybe I have it all mixed up. PLMK

Thank you for your patience. Toppscore 8)

Last edited by Toppscore on Thu May 31, 2012 2:07 am, edited 12 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:22 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

mthomps07 wrote:
Resident expert here.

The 1997 Hendrix Tribute strats were full left handed guitars turned upside down. Those were only made in Olympic White and came only with maple fretboards.

The 1997-1998 Voodoo Strat and the 2001 '68 Reverse Headstock Strat (same guitar minus the Hendrix-engraved neckplate) came in Olympic White, Black, and Sunburst, available with either maple or rosewood fretboards.

I say jump on it. I don't think I've ever seen one with a certificate of authenticity. At least not on the second-hand market. So that's not too weird. If it is real it should have all the typical features you're familiar with. It should have a TN7 serial number regardless of the year in which it was made. All the necks were made in 1997, even though the various projects got halted at some point because of legal troubles. Thus some were not released until 98 and after 2000.

If it's all original it should include the ACE style guitar strap and a white curly amp cable. The case should be black tolex and it should be the type with the Fender amp badge on the outside.

If it has all these things, it's more than likely real/I don't know how else to assure its authenticity short of taking it apart. The only other thing you can check, is if it has the tremolo cover removed on the back, there should be either a V or a 68 written in permanent marker on the body underneath the springs. Anyways, it wouldn't make sense for someone to go out and buy the case and case candy to try to fake it, seeing as how the straps alone can run hundreds of dollars, as well as the Hendrix-engraved neckplate.

As far as the guitar itself- these things are unique. I am personally obsessed. Tonally, they are distinct from any other strat you will play. And if you are a believer in "vibe", then it seals the deal. I love everything about my Voodoo Strats/68 Reverse. I literally can't stop buying them.

Regarding the investment value, they will definitely appreciate. They are simply rare in comparison to a lot of other models out there, and they happen to be attached to the name of the most iconic stratocaster player. I would try to talk them down on the price, but I know a pristine Voodoo Strat with all case candy included can go for up to $3000-3300 USD. Highly used ones will hover around $1700-2200 USD. Based on eBay auction-watching alone, I can say that mine have definitely appreciated in value since I bought them not all that long ago.

On the other hand, these things beg to be played. Sure, don't take it out and gig it if you're trying to preserve its pristine condition for investment value. But the value appreciation is marginal enough that you won't change anything playing it around the house. In fact, you should. I tried the whole investment thing. Didn't work out. I gigged both my white one and my sunburst one. The black one was pristine enough that I decided to preserve it, but I'd almost rather sell it than see it sit.

Bottom line, if the only reason you're buying it is to try to turn a profit, there are better ways to do that in much less time. You're going to have to hold onto it for a long time to justify that. If it's not vintage, people generally aren't collecting it solely for investment value. On the other hand, if it is a guitar that really interests you as a guitarist, and the fact that it will appreciate in value is simply another reason in favor of pushing you to get it, I say go for it. You will not regret it.

[edit: the Cypress Mica Strat in the pic is a one-off, not a Voodoo strat of any sort. The black and the sunburst are both Voodoo Strats, and the Olympic White one is a '68 Reverse Headstock]

Thanks alot mthomps07...... i was thinking exactly what you said, it would be definitely something id play just at home, but the fact it might appreciate is always a bonus, and much much cheaper than a les paul with half the quality, and to top it off im such a jimi hendrix $@!&# ...... :shock:

Ive been looking all around the net in the uk to see if i can find any others ...... none (im sure there might be some around the world but the customs charge and tax is not worth it) so i might have to buy this rare lil thing, i was also thinking of adding this to my collection too.....

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric/v6mrhdxlarge.jpg

thanks for all your help guys! this place is truely kind :) :D

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:10 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Toppscore wrote:
Hi, MThomps07! Excuse my ignorance. Which one of your's is 1997 Hendrix Tribute?
Or, maybe I am not looking at any 1997 Hendrix Tributes and therefore,
your displayed Hendrix guitars are not what I am describing.

Remember, I'm not questioning your expertise, as I'm more trying to understand.
So, please appease me :D Thanks.

Hi there,

No problem. You are correct. None of my strays are Jimi Hendrix Tribute strats. Three of my strats are Jimi Hendrix Vooodoo strats. Many people don't realize it, but Fender has release many versions of Hendrix signature models over the years.

The Tribute strats are fully left handed guitars with the strings and strap button flipped for right handers. The Voodoo strats, on the other hand, are right handed bodies, with reverse headstocks, and left-handed pickups, but made for right-handers. Basically, the Voodoo strat sought to mimic the appearance and sonic qualities of Hendrix without sacrificing the playability by having the guitar fully flipped with the bigger strap horn in the way of the upper frets.

The reason I mentioned Tribute strats is because someone said they've never seen a Voodoo strat with a rosewood fretboard. Correctly, Tributes never came with anything other than Olympic White and a maple fretboard. Voodoo strats (which the OP is interested in) came in three colors with the option of either rosewood or maple fretboards. Thus the fact that the strat in question has a rosewood fretboard does not make it a fake.

One thing is for sure, both models are official Fender Jimi Hendrix Signature models. The naming scheme is just slightly confusing because normally artists only have one signature model which is simply signified by their name being attached to it. Since then I think Fender has standardized the naming schemes such that "tribute" models are designed to replicate the exact features of the artist's original guitar (think SRV #1 or Clapton's Blackie), whereas other various signature models simply add certain distinguishing features, but don't necessarily recreate the exact instrument of the artist (think the regular production versions of SRV and Clapton strats). In hindsight, the Hendrix strats are sort of in line with this as the Tribute model more closely mimics Hendrix's actual white strat whereas the Voodoo strat just incorporates certain features. (but note, none of the Hendrix models we're discussing we're made in the custom shop as tribute models now are. Other Hendrix models were made in the custom shop though. See the Monterey Pop strat or the Woodstock strat).

Hope that clears everything up. Again, all of my strats but the green one are Hendrix models (versions of the Voodoo strat in particular).

Tunes for any mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO6xhc71KyE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV5Hm3tScm0