It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: LSR Roller Nut Too High?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:18 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I am pretty new to the forum, and have read elsewhere about a few folks complaining about the LSR roller nut being set too high at the factory on Jeff Beck Signature Stats. I took mine off to see if there were shims underneath, but no luck. I am considering having a luthier adding some depth to the slot for the roller nut, but wondering if anyone on this forum has experienced this.

Post subject: Re: LSR Roller Nut Too High?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:06 am 
Roadie
Roadie

Nope, sorry, mine is just right.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:13 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Could it be that the frets are too low rather than the nut too high? Perhaps through wear/playing?

In my opinion Fender has a tendency to leave nuts cut high. Rarely do I find a guitar that has the nut slots cut to the correct depth. Be that Squier or Custom Shop. Obviously the roller nut designs don't have any room to adjust to suit these issues. Which I view as a design flaw of paramount importance. I questioned the designer of the first roller nut that Jeff Beck still uses, Trev Wilkinson, about low fret intonation. His response as I knew it would be was that you must get those slots cut as low as possible to achieve anywhere near accurate intonation on the low frets. Shame he didn't plan for that on the roller nut.

You could cut the slot deeper but it may be pointless if in six months you end up having new frets put on the neck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:51 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the replies. I also have a Strat Plus Deluxe and the LSR roller nut is cut lower, so the difference on the action between the 2 guitars is very noticeable. Interesting that you bring up intonation, as the intonation on the Jeff Beck strat has also been difficult to get right. I am amazed that Fender has not addressed this after 20 years of selling guitars with the LSR roller nut. You would think with a guitar that lists for $1,500 they would want them to leave the factory perfectly set up.

Anyone else have any advice before I cut deeper on the LSR pocket?

2006 American Standard Telecaster
1975 Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
1985 Takamine Acoustic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:38 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

My advice would be to take it to someone who's familiar with them.

Mine is set perfect on my American Deluxe HSS, FWIW. Truly awesome invention.

"Without music, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines and dates by which bills must be paid."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:36 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

nikininja wrote:
Could it be that the frets are too low rather than the nut too high? Perhaps through wear/playing?

In my opinion Fender has a tendency to leave nuts cut high. Rarely do I find a guitar that has the nut slots cut to the correct depth. Be that Squier or Custom Shop. Obviously the roller nut designs don't have any room to adjust to suit these issues. Which I view as a design flaw of paramount importance. I questioned the designer of the first roller nut that Jeff Beck still uses, Trev Wilkinson, about low fret intonation. His response as I knew it would be was that you must get those slots cut as low as possible to achieve anywhere near accurate intonation on the low frets. Shame he didn't plan for that on the roller nut.

You could cut the slot deeper but it may be pointless if in six months you end up having new frets put on the neck.

Hey Nikininja! Just curious, what is your favorite nut height? I measure from the first fret to the bottom of the string. Stewmac has a nifty tool for this, but I don't own one. I use feeler gauges to stop the files. Stewmac says alot of pros like .010 first string, graduated to .020 sixth string. I think that's quite low.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:41 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I have had 3 LSR equipped American guitars (but not Jeff Beck models) and on all 3 I could not have asked for a better nut height. They were all perfect. The one I still have is still perfect. With modern CNC machining I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of variation unless maybe JB spec'd out something other than Fender Standard specs when they designed his signature guitar.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:56 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

BMW-KTM wrote:
unless maybe JB spec'd out something other than Fender Standard specs when they designed his signature guitar.

"Make it crap, so that all the assholes trying to learn my stuff think that I'm totally awesome for being able to play this guitar."

"Without music, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines and dates by which bills must be paid."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks again for the replies folks. I've got a great luthier nearby, so I think I am going to bring him my Jeff Beck and Strat Plus and simply have him set the LSR on the JB the same as the Strat Plus.

2006 American Standard Telecaster
1975 Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
1985 Takamine Acoustic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:17 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

it could be that the saddles are set too high

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:59 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

RJake

Thats not too far from what I aim for. And I use the same method as you to set heights from the top of the first fret.
I go
Low E, .018"
A .018"
D .016"
G .014"
B .012"
High E .012".