It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender highway one strat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:56 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello everyone,
My electric guitar is a highway one strat. I like this guitar very much but I don't really understand what is new or unique with these guitars. Can somebody make this clear for me?
P.S: I have recently heard that fender discontinued highway one in 2011. Why?

Thanks anyway!

Post subject: Re: Fender highway one strat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:03 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Have you checked the specs on Fender.com? That lists what is unique about the Highway 1 Strat. The short answer is they have the "greasebucket" circuit that is supposed to roll off the treble without adding bass. They also have a satin nitro finish body, and their own hot single coils (you don't say if your guitar is HSS or SSS). Cosmetically they have the large 70s-style headstock and the large CBS-style headstock decal.

I have never seen any confirmation from Fender that the Highway 1 has been discontinued. However, Fender did bring out a very similar model called the American Special in 2010 - the American Special has Texas Special single coils and has a urathane finish on the body but it has the same "look" with the large headstock and 70s-style decal. There has been a lot of speculation that Fender is simply phasing out the Highway 1 and replacing it with the American Special, but again I've never seen any confirmation from someone at Fender that this is the case.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:37 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

They're still in stock at SamAsh, GC, MF, etc... $729.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:00 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

As mentioned above the Highway 1 has the Greasebucket circuitry which allows the high tone to be rolled back without adding bass. Depending on the year it was made it may either have the large (after 2006) or small headstock. It has the matte Nitro finish on them. Some models are SSS and some are HSS. They came with either maple or rosewood fingerboards. I am not sure about the pre-upgraded Highway 1’s but the up-graded ones have either 3 hot AlNico III single coil pickups or 2 single coil pickups with an Atomic Humbucker in the bridge. They also have the vintage 6 point tremolos and 2 string trees on the headstock.

Here is what mine looked like before I modified it:

2007 Fender Highway 1
2012 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2012 Fender American Deluxe
2010 Fender Blacktop FR
2013 Modern Player
1987 Fender Avalon Acoustic
2011 Mustang V head and cab
2012 Marshall DSL 15 watt head

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:37 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

The first edition of Highway Ones (2002-2006 iirc) were unique for their satin acrylic lacquer finishes and for being an American Fender at a pretty low price point.

The upgraded models are unique for having a nitro finish, jumbo frets, and alnico III pickups (which handle distortion better than other single coils or humbuckers imo 8) ) and some would say for the 70s headstocks they sport. Again, they are also a low price point for MIA.

All I can say is these guitars are fanstastic value and the upgraded ones have the most amazing necks. I own 3 Highway One Strats :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:51 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I LOVE them so much....that I bought the ENTIRE color spectrum of the HSS line!!

ALL of them are heavily modded....or IMPROVED...as I like to call it!!

AND....I found this guy on E-Bay who had these special engraved neckplates that I bought for ALL my babies!!

To add to the insanity....I picked up this cool Fender DaVinci Dickies type work shirt....I just HAD to have it!! It's what I call my closet....The Highway One Mod Shop!!

Last edited by HWY1Strat on Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:53 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Amongst other mods, I shined up my Blonde Highway 1 (later model) and it really does toughen up the alarmingly soft nitro finish. Honestly, that finish will chip under the slightest knock or scratch. I'd love to get my hands on RKreisher's 3 tone sunburst pictured above, and give it a good polish.

They'll never look like high gloss poly finishes do, but in my opinion, they instantly look 50% better for having that treatment. It brings the colours to life and gives their look a real depth. (And actually, given that just the natural rubbing of your wrist and forearm will very quickly make shiny patches, you'll need to do it in order to straighten out the finish and make it look consistent across the whole top.)

And it's so easy to do. I did mine with "Brasso" metal polish (yes really) and it took just 10 minutes. I'll try and post a picture to show the difference..

I'm a big fan of the Highway 1 Strat, but think the pickups need to be upgraded. Mine now has 3 Seymour Duncan alnico 2 Pros and it sounds top notch. I also dabbled with a set of noisless SCNs, but they sounded really sterile and flat. (All of which of course is a problem. Many people will rightly point out that once you've added the cost of new pickups to the original Highway purchase price, you're virtually back to the cost of a US Standard Strat. And I have to acknowledge the truth of that.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:53 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

adey wrote:
I'd love to get my hands on RKreisher's 3 tone sunburst pictured above, and give it a good polish.

As mentioned that picture was before I modified it. Still working in the carnuba wax for more shine. Here is what it looks like now:

2007 Fender Highway 1
2012 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2012 Fender American Deluxe
2010 Fender Blacktop FR
2013 Modern Player
1987 Fender Avalon Acoustic
2011 Mustang V head and cab
2012 Marshall DSL 15 watt head

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:14 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Nice.

Like the scratchplate and the way that the polish has lifted the colour and made it much less flat. Did you find the finish to be very fragile before you polished it?

Good job.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:38 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

i totally love hwy1strat's hwy1 strats.
they look sick

oogway, kungfu panda 2008

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:16 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

adey wrote:
Many people will rightly point out that once you've added the cost of new pickups to the original Highway purchase price, you're virtually back to the cost of a US Standard Strat. And I have to acknowledge the truth of that.)

If ANYONE has come to that realization....it is I!!

Regardless.....IHMO....the look of/coolness factor of the Highway One is light years above a US Standard Stratocaster!!
ANY ONE of my babies will decimate a US Standard and even some Custom Shop models!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:16 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

itaiarad1 wrote:
My electric guitar is a highway one strat. I like this guitar very much but I don't really understand what is new or unique with these guitars. Can somebody make this clear for me?

They also don't have the Bi-Flex truss rod that the American Standards have -- they have the old fashioned vintage type.

Member #26797
My other guitar is a Strat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:53 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Yes, the Highway One strat is a great guitar. I have a 2007 and replaced the pickups with a set of Fender Custom Shop 69s. Man, the Jimi Hendrix Mojo on those pickups are unreal. Made a huge improvement in the tone IMHO. The string spacing on the bridge is also narrower on the Highway Ones compared to the Amercian Standard. Not sure if the bridge string spacing is the same on the Amercian Special Strats.........I have one of those also.

By null at 2011-09-26

http://www.youtube.com/user/gmlasam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:54 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Here is my Highway one recorded straight from a Tascam DR-03 portable recorder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjA44YykPxg

http://www.youtube.com/user/gmlasam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:53 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Those are all really cool.
I been looking at them also.