It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Stratocaster Deluxe American Standard?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:19 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi, do you know this type of guitar? How much does it cost? I've got offer to change it for my gibson ghotic explorer. Seller told me, that it is limited edition of 400.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Tom.L.Bouda/FenderStatocaster1990#5615202884322340258
http://hudebnibazar.cz/inzerat.php?ID=645644&page=1&kategorie=0&nabpop=vse&region=&ins=50&order=datum

Post subject: Re: Fender Stratocaster Deluxe American Standard?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:59 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I don't think these were a limited edition; if I'm remembering correctly they were only made in 1989 so there really aren't that many of them out there. Basically it is an American Standard with the gold-logo Lace Sensors used on the Strat Plus (but without the other Strat Plus hardware like locking tuners and the roller nut).

As such I wouldn't price it as a limited edition, and frankly having that hang tag is very important for these guitars because without that provenence most people will think it is just a modded American Standard. I would consider it worth about the same as any other Fender American Standard where you are located; here in the USA these would be worth about $800, maybe a bit more. I've never priced a Gothic Explorer so I'm not sure of their current value used.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:00 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

John C wrote:
I don't think these were a limited edition; if I'm remembering correctly they were only made in 1989 so there reallych aren't that many of them out there. Basically it is an American Standard with the gold-logo Lace Sensors used on the Strat Plus (but without the other Strat Plus hardware like locking tuners and the roller nut).

As such I wouldn't price it as a limited edition, and frankly having that hang tag is very important for these guitars because without that provenence most people will think it is just a modded American Standard. I would consider it worth about the same as any other Fender American Standard where you are located; here in the USA these would be worth about $800, maybe a bit more. I've never priced a Gothic Explorer so I'm not sure of their current value used.

While $800 may be what similiar guitars are listed for on eBay Buy it now listings, its not the real value, its probably around $650. If you look at GC used pricing, or on CL, thats about the value. Though on Ebay, it probably would be $800, which is too much money.

That being said; a 1990 American Std with Lace pickups, is a more desireable guitar than the Gothic Explorer (not saying its better, just more people will be willing to buy it over a Gothic Exp, so it's easier to get rid of down the line. It looks like a really nice guitar. If I was in your shoes, with the what i own now, id do the trade, but i own several humbucker equipped guitars already. If I didnt own any other humbucker'd guitars, I'd probably second guess it. I guess it depends on whether or not you have other guitars to fill the humbucker void or not. I think the Strat is worth more than the Explorer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:19 am 
Amateur
Amateur

I would say the Am Std Dlx is worth more than the Gothic Explorer. They didn't produce them long because for the difference in price between these and the Strat Plus, the Strat Plus was a better value. As a result it didn't sell well.

It still could be worth money some day as long as you keep the hang tag for proof that it's not just a standard with Lace Sensors added as an after market upgrade. I also agree that the strat will be easier to sell later on compared to the Goth Explorer. The Gothic Explorer in particular is targeted towards a fairly specific market while the strat is pretty universal.

Someone else made a good point also... if you are used to humbuckers and need a guitar that has that sound consider that the Lace Sensors with the gold logo are supposedly voiced to sound like vintage Fender single coils. That being said, you may want to have another humbucker equiped guitar in addition to the strat if you take the trade because while neither 'buckers or single coils are better; there is a difference in sound. While technically you can use any guitar to play any style of music, certain sounds lend themselves more easily to humbuckers and vice versa.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:16 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

That will be an infinitely better guitar than the Gothic Explorer. As I recall, the Gothics were pretty 'meh'. The '80s Strats have a great feel to them, as well as a very cool sound. Very specific to the '80s- have a listen to Love And Pride by King and Let's Hear It For The Boy by Deniece Williams for that quintessential sound. 8)

"Without music, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines and dates by which bills must be paid."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

It probably is a FSR guitar.They come out with them all the time. Serial # wont show anything different. For example, I had a Strat that had a 57 body and a 1960 neck. It was the only 2-tone production they made with a rosewood fretboard. It didnt add anything to the value though, it was still just a reissue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:42 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

windwalker9649 wrote:
It probably is a FSR guitar.They come out with them all the time. Serial # wont show anything different. For example, I had a Strat that had a 57 body and a 1960 neck. It was the only 2-tone production they made with a rosewood fretboard. It didnt add anything to the value though, it was still just a reissue.

No, this predates the FSR program; it was a regular production model made in 1989 to "split the difference" between the American Standard and the Strat Plus. It only lasted a year, probably because it was priced closer to the Strat Plus than the American Standard - most people who wanted the Lace Sensors decided to spend the extra $50-75 and get the Strat Plus to also get the roller nut, locking tuners, and trem-setter.

When I priced it for the OP at around $800 I was trying to split the difference of what I had seen some of the '87-'89 American Standards and Strat Pluses going for around here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:04 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thak you for your answers. I will probably take this offer.
P.s. Do you know what type of wood is body made?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Latam wrote:
P.s. Do you know what type of wood is body made?

I'd imagine it'd be alder.

"Without music, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines and dates by which bills must be paid."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:05 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

This strat is very closely related to the Eric Clapton Signature strat. Well worth the trade for a Gibson Gothic Explorer.

facebook.com/313DBC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:00 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

bonjour;

j'ai exactement la meme guitare et je me pose la meme question.

Hy;

I got the exactlly the same guitars (same colors and same flycase). If you got more information please tell me...
thanks

a french strat player.;.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:57 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

trade him and play the crap out of it 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:27 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

DetroitBlues wrote:
This strat is very closely related to the Eric Clapton Signature strat. Well worth the trade for a Gibson Gothic Explorer.

Forgot to mention, someone around here locally is selling a Gibson Gothic Explorer for $550. That strat is worth at least $1k.....

facebook.com/313DBC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:44 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

I think you're making a good choice. Does the one you're trading for have a TBX tone control like the Strat Plus? If so it's even closer to the Clapton signature of the time. Clapton used an active mid boost instead of the TBX but the tonal possibilities are very similar.

When I go up to Ontario in a weeks time I'm hoping to score a 87 Strat plus I foud on the website to a vintage shop in the GTA area. They're only asking $799, which is a steal for that guitar given it's age, and historical significance to the Fender brand. '87 is the first year that Fender made a production model on US soil after the company was sold by CBS. It might not be a collector's item yet, but should be soon. Also add to this it's the first year for the Strat Plus. Really hope it doesn't sell before I get there.

If it does, I also noticed an add on Kijiji for a '95 Strat Plus for $1000 came up last night. It's a 50th Anniversary model and also I believe it's the first year for the roller nut that appeared on the final years of the production run. Unfortunately I'd have to wait 2 weeks time to try and grab that one if the '87 doesn't pan out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:29 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So i bought it and I am very happy with my new strat :) Thank you all.