It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: '68 reverse strat question....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:17 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

hi all...new forumite here so go easy on me :lol: struck a deal to pick up a '68 reverse headstock strat. it's the voodoo strat that is not a voodoo strat. this is the made in america version and not the MIM.

can someone tell me what type of finish is on here, poly or nitro? thanks in advance for the replies. :D

Post subject: Re: '68 reverse strat question....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:36 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Welcome to the forum...poly finish. And we like pics here so post a couple. :D

T2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:19 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

back on this nitro/poly question. the guy selling me the '68 reverse said this was included when he bought the guitar. says it's nitro?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:48 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

just bringing this up again hoping for a response from a Fender rep. can anyone advise of another way i can get a confirming answer from someone from Fender? thanks for the help thus far.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ok I'm not a Fender rep but I've got two MIA 1997 Fender Voodoo Hendrix Stratocasters and they're both poly. In '98 the model was discontinued after a complaint from Jimi's estate. In 2001 they "reissued" the model but had it rebranded as the '68 Reverse Stratocaster and they were also finished in poly. There was then a MIM model that was released for a while in the early 2000's and that was finished in poly as well.

The only way the body of an original MIA Voodoo or MIA/MIM Reverse Strat could be finished in nitro is if it had an after-market refinish, in which case it wouldn't come with that Fender certificate. The alternative is if a Voodoo/Reverse neck was put on a genuine Fender nitro finished body, either way no MIA Voodoo or MIA/MIM Reverse strat came with poly as standard from Fender.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:09 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Fender switched to poly in '67. Original '68s were poly so re-issues of them (and reissues based on them) are poly too. They may come with the reissue hangtag that describes the proper care for nitro, but that's just because some reissue models have nitro finishes.

Anyway, there's an easy way to check if you still have doubts. Take off the rear trem cover, the jackplate, or the pickguard (some place that'll be covered up after you do the test), dip a Q-Tip in acetone (or nail polish remover), and gently rub a small portion of the finish with the damp end of the Q-Tip. Poly will be completely unaffected by acetone, nitro will dissolve. If it's nitro and you're gentle and don't wipe the wet nitro off, it'll reharden as it dries and just leave a slightly rippled matte spot where you tested.