It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: EC Strat: Lace Sensor Golds vs. Vintage Noiseless
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:11 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

I'm curious to those who have played both, what are your opinions? Which is "Strattyest"? Which sound more like humbuckers with the midboost cranked? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: EC Strat: Lace Sensor Golds vs. Vintage Noiseless
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:17 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

NeedForTweed wrote:
I'm curious to those who have played both, what are your opinions? Which is "Strattyest"? Which sound more like humbuckers with the midboost cranked? Thanks.

I don't like either model but I will say this: The Vintage Noiseless sound closer to a Strat pickup whereas the Lace Sensors sound more like humbuckers with the midboost cranked.

As always, this is merely IMO where YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:45 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Vintage Noiseless pickups are stacked humbuckers. Lace Sensors utilize a completely different design.

Eric was not happy with the Lace pickups and TBX tone control. Fender sent him a set of Vintage Noiseless pickups for a try. He liked 'em a lot and requested having his personal guitars fitted with VNs and a regular tone pot in place of the TBX. But he also agreed to have the TBX circuit on the regular production and Team Built versions of his signature model. :wink:

Although the Vintage Noiseless pickups were a standard equipment on EC's main axes since March 2000, his signature model wasn't updated until 2001.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:12 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I think the Lace Sensors have a great stratty tone...and yet you can crank the boost and get a fairly good humbucking tone too! I like the Lace Sensors better than the Noiseless, but who am I to argue with "God". The Noiseless sound a bit flat to me...but that could be my hearing too :lol: :lol: :lol:

FWIW

T2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:37 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks, all for your thoughts. I have an EC Strat with VN which is by far my favorite guitar I've ever owned but I'm really interested lately in picking up an early '90s model with Lace Sensors. I've never heard Clapton have bad tone per se, but I'm partial to his 1989-1999 tones most so I think Lace is where I'm headed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:29 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I think gold lace sensors have a great strat tone- they sound with less midrange than my deluxe with SCN pickups- however, I have no experience with vintage noiseless. Personally though, I do prefer them.

I think the pickups martian may be referring to are red lace sensors.. they do sound like progressive/hot humbuckers, then again, they are meant to :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:37 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Blertles wrote:
...I think the pickups martian may be referring to are red lace sensors.. they do sound like progressive/hot humbuckers, then again, they are meant to :)

Nope, I'm referring to the Golds. When they are humped up with midrange via the so called, "Clapton Boost Circuit" or some other means, they definitely exhibit more 'muscle' than the VNs are capable of. FWIW, IMO, all the Reds do is puke midrange naturally.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:40 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Martian wrote:
Nope, I'm referring to the Golds. When they are humped up with midrange via the so called, "Clapton Boost Circuit" or some other means, they definitely exhibit more 'muscle' than the VNs are capable of. FWIW, IMO, all the Reds do is puke midrange naturally.
Sweet! That's what I was hoping to hear.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:33 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Martian wrote:
Blertles wrote:
...I think the pickups martian may be referring to are red lace sensors.. they do sound like progressive/hot humbuckers, then again, they are meant to :)

Ahh yes, true! forgot about that midrange boost curcuit. I dont know why that is on there to be honest, the gold laces sound good on their own without it.. The only time a cuircuit like that has impressed me is the EMG Gilmour setup..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:56 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

frankly I like em both but the real factor is the guitar itself. EC strats are so freakin awesome. I love mine easily the best guitar I've ever played.