It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Post subject: Stratotelecaster Build.....odd ducks...old farts...
Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Ok, this build is going to be a bit different than the other build treads I have done on the Forum. I am bored with my player ultra/Strat Plus custom and I have a lot of odds and ends around my guitar room that have been sitting for a few years. This is going to be fun…… a hodgepodge amalgamation of Strat and Tele parts, thus a Stratotelecaster. (Is this sacrilege?)

This might take a little bit of time as I have not made up my mind on what all to use but to start out with, this is what I have tossed on my bench. Here is the 'kind-of" list of items so far:

1994 Strat Plus body
1996 Tele Foto Flame neck
Black USA Fender pickguard
Seymour Duncan Twang Banger pickup
Seymour Duncan little 59 pickup

Some of you might remember this body from a thread I had called Building a Custom Strat Plus. http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32056&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 where I replaced this body due to UPS damages. Now the body has been totally stripped of everything, the bridge ferrules and micro-tilt adjustor. I am not sure what length I will go through to fix the body. For now maybe a quick cover up and maybe (years from now) a pro refinish.

There are a few scratches on the body but all that will come out in the wash. Really not too bad:

The neck is off of one of those Fender MIJ 1996 Anniversary Deluxe Foto-Flame Telecasters. You can read about them here: http://xhefriguitars.com/page8.html These have the same specs as the 1962 Teles with Rosewood fret board and 21 small-medium frets—just like off the 62 Custom reissues. The neck is pretty clean.

The pickguard is off a beat up old Strat I had and is a black/white/black. Oh and a Custom Shop logo neck plate.......yes maybe I can sell this on eBay for around $3500 when I am done! :lol: :lol: :lol:

With some body work, buffing, and custom wiring this will be an interesting Strat-0-Tele. Didn't Clapton play a Strat with a tele neck for a while? And what to do for custom wiring? Ummmmm...

Paramount Series
Post subject: Re: Stratotelecaster Build.....odd ducks...old farts...
Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:34 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Location: WNY Just south of nowhere, but just North of somewhere
Looks like this is going to be another good one to follow. Lets go!!!!

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:08 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Hi Jeff. First thing: ooo goodie! :D

Second thing: wow, what a neck! Nice maple. 8)

Third thing:
Xhefri wrote:
There are a few scratches on the body but all that will come out in the wash...

That's a scratch that's going to come out in the wash? Streuth - what sort of washing powder are you using???

This I have to see...

Carry on - C

PS: 'course, you could always pop that bod in the post. I'll wash that "scratch" out for you! :wink:

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:27 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Go on Mr X put a tele bridge on that thing. You'd be building my nearly ideal Fender. It would just need a left handed, maple boarded neck.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:33 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Ceri wrote:
Hi Jeff. First thing: ooo goodie! :D

Second thing: wow, what a neck! Nice maple. 8)

HA HA HA! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Foto like in Photo-flame. Do you know about the Hambugular conspiracy? Supposedly someone who worked at the Fuji Gen Gakki factory actually placed this McDonalds Hambugular's face in the film as a joke! And then he was supposedly fired over it! A myth or a reality? Who knows?

Image Image

Ceri wrote:
Third thing:
Xhefri wrote:
There are a few scratches on the body but all that will come out in the wash...

That's a scratch that's going to come out in the wash? Streuth - what sort of washing powder are you using???

This I have to see...

Carry on - C

PS: 'course, you could always pop that bod in the post. I'll wash that "scratch" out for you! :wink:

Well, I would luv to send this bod too you mate, but it would take toooo much time and $$$. So next will be some solvent washing, grinding, and some type of filler (maybe fiberglass reinforced bondo). Not sure about doing the refin yet, maybe what we called in the body shops, "a spot repair." Just ordered some Floyd Rose after market brass ferrules and bridge pins. They should be here next week and I am hoping they will fit in the stock holes of the fender 2-point bridge ferrules.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:45 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Xhefri wrote:
Well, I would luv to send this bod too you mate, but it would take toooo much time and $$$.

Well, the only $$$ it would cost would be stamps on a package. But you're right about the time, assuming you wanted it refinned in nitro. I guess that should have been planned before the thread started... :lol:

Anytime though.

Cheers - C

PS: yes, I knew about the Hamburglar. Been finding that fella's face on Strats for many years. :D

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:46 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

nikininja wrote:
Go on Mr X put a tele bridge on that thing. You'd be building my nearly ideal Fender. It would just need a left handed, maple boarded neck.

Wish I was as good at wood work as Mr. C i would fill in the trem cavity and part of the swimming pool route and mount a Tele bridge on this puppy. So as a compromise I will use the Seymour Duncan Twang Banger (APST-1) for the bridge pickup. Here is what it says on the Duncan website: "The Twang Banger takes an old Seymour Duncan design and updated it. Seymour's design was first used in the late '80s by Music Man on their Albert Lee signature model guitar and, in later years he modified it for Fender's Hellecaster Strat. One of the twang secrets is the copper-coated steel plate attached to the underside of the pickup. It disperses the magnetic field in the same way as the metal plate on the underside of a Tele lead pickup."

So I will see how she sounds....and I am thinking of the Strat-o-Tele 5-way switching with some type of switch to split off (tap) the Little 59 in the neck.... not all sure yet!

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:58 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I know I'm ready for this one Mr. X!!! 8) :wink:

Nutter is going to have to post this on his thread for builds. 8)

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:35 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Dedicating a build project to the old guys, thank you. :lol: What pup is going in the center?
For switching, how about the push button from the Players Series strat? Gives you the option for neck+bridge, just like a Tele.
Cheers,
John.E

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:34 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

John.E wrote:
Dedicating a build project to the old guys, thank you. :lol: What pup is going in the center?
For switching, how about the push button from the Players Series strat? Gives you the option for neck+bridge, just like a Tele.
Cheers,
John.E

Hey John.E
Have not decided on a middle pickup yet, but I have a middle pickup out of an American Standard I might use. If I do the James Burton wiring, it would be like a standard Strat but position #3 is Neck + Bridge like a Tele. But then I thought about using the Tele Plus Version Two wiring where the switching is a standard Strat 5-way and then you have a mini-switch that turns the bridge pickup on when in position #5 (neck) giving you Neck + Bridge and then in position #4 you can have all three pickups on. I might just do that, as it gives a lot more mixes. Either way I would still use an other mini-switch to split the neck pickup off as well. When you say push button off a Players Strat you talk'in S-1???

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:58 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Back at you Mr.X,
The "Deluxe"(my bad) Players series Strat has a push button in front of the tone controls and the S-1 switch as well. In the up position the button is "off" and the S-1 acts in the usual way. Push the botton and now the S-1 selects bridge+neck or all pups. The pups on that particular guitar are noiseless, don't know if that makes them more flexable when it comes to switching config.

Cheers,
John.E

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:48 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

John.E wrote:
Dedicating a build project to the old guys, thank you. :lol: ....... John.E

Maybe I should have said "old parts"???????? LOL.....was that a typo????

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:31 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Xhefri wrote:
Do you know about the Hambugular conspiracy?

I did not hear that entire story (about getting fired, etc), but I know that's what people call that certain "pattern" in the flame. I did not know that they used the foto flame on necks as well as bodies ...

This picture reminded me of the "problems" that can pop up when one mixes and matches pickups.

The typical Fender pickup has the black lead coming off of the left eyelet. Other manufacturers do the opposite (and maybe not consistently so). You probably know all of this (being an old pro), but it's easy to end up with out-of-phase pickups if one doesn't check the magnetic polarity and the wiring of the mixed bag of pickups being used. A few words about what you got and what you did should be of interest to the "novice" builder/reassembler. Like: depending on their magnetic polarities, you may be able to have a RW/RP hum-cancelling set up in switch positions 2 & 4.

I didn't intend to call you "old", X, replace that word with "experienced" if there's any offense. :lol:

Member #26797
My other guitar is a Strat.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:51 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

orville,
your right on....
thats exactly what happened to me when i mixed texas specials and am std pickups, they werent matching polarity, so i was getting weird out of phase mid range nassally quack.
kindof like running single coils through a wah pedal toe down on a bright chanel.

but also, cant you just reverse the leads to for proper wiring? this is actually a question for me, lol.

oogway, kungfu panda 2008

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:31 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

bluesstrattone wrote:
that's exactly what happened to me when i mixed texas specials and am std pickups, they werent matching polarity, so i was getting weird out of phase mid range nassally quack.

IIRC, a set of Am Std pickups has N/S/N polarity (that's for neck/middle/bridge pus) and a set of Texas Specials has S/N/S polarity. That means that they don't mix together so well!

If you end up with S/S/N, for example, you can get humbucking in the mid/bridge position, but not in the neck/mid position.

bluesstrattone wrote:
but also, can't you just reverse the leads to for proper wiring? this is actually a question for me, lol.

Yes, but knowing which leads to reverse is the trick! What pickups are you using in which positions? Do you have a compass handy with which to double check polarity?

Member #26797
My other guitar is a Strat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next