It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Replacement Pickups For MIM Strat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:54 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

After trying all the Strats they had at the Nashville Guitar Center, an '07 MIM Standard Strat followed me home.
Any suggestions for Replacement PU's for this guitar?
I use this guitar primarily for blues and classic rock.
The stock PU's have a decent tone, but they're more than a bit on the weak side.
I'm thinking of going with the Tex/Mex set from the specs on those, but haven't actually heard them.
Otherwise, the new MIM Strat is at least the equal of the 1970 Strat I sold in 1986, as far as fit and finish, and the fretboard radius of the '07 is far superior of the '70 for my size XL hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:14 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups in my guitar. I went with the SCN's for the bite and higher output and because they were Fender made. I spent about 6 months researching every pickup replacement I could find.

The other options I would recommend are:

Seymour Duncan pickups. They make a ton of replacement pickups with varying degrees of tone and you can mix and match them based on your needs/preferences.

I would also recommend the EMG SA "Gilmour" set. They're active, but you might get away with installing the battery without a rout, if your tech is really good. Being active, they are also dead silent and totally clear.

Another option would be a set of Kinman Noiseless pickups. The "Woodstock Regular" set sounds awesome in the online samples and they are supposed to be really good, albeit very pricey since they're made and imported custom order from Autrailia or someplace. What's nice is that these come with a bunch of switch options and a special "no-solder" harness for players to install without electronic tools. I wanted them, but couldn't afford them.

You may want to raise your pickup height and see if that helps the output. If you keep the stock pickups, definitely shield the guitar or get one of those "noiseless" BPSSC trem cover assemblies.

If you want to stick with Fender pickups, there's also the Vintage Noiseless (Clapton), Hot Noiseless (Beck) and Tex-Spec sets. Then you've got all your other sets like the Custom Shop 50s, 54s and 69s. As far as those all go, like I said I went with the SCNs. It's all a matter of what sounds good to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:18 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Man, the amount of Fender and aftermarket pups is staggering. I can't even imagine how much it would cost in time and effort to try out a decent portion of them.

Hmmm...no foolin ...." FZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:44 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yeah, you're looking at quite a few. That's why I spent months looking into which ones to get. It's amazing how much is out there.

Basically, the only one's I don't care for are DiMarzio. I'm not a fan of active electronics, so EMG is off my list too. That's just my personal opinion. They both make good products, I just don't dig their sound.

Honestly, if you want a Fender sound and you're not sure what to get, use the Fender pickups. You can't go wrong. Worst case, you change them out and sell the ones you don't like. Of course, you can always pick a Fender artist you really like and use what they use.

I'll admit, I'm a little biased - I've kept my Stratocaster all Fender, all the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:46 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

One thing you may want to try is turning your guitar volume up all the way or at least almost all the way, you might find what your looking for right under your nose.

Allot of the time the sound that we're looking for is 50/50 guitar and amp, e.g. tube amp vs. solid state sound.

However, if you have your guitar amp situation zipped tight, then you do have options and you have been given some solid advise so far.

The only other thing I would seriously suggest is doing a nice sheilding job for your new friend, there are aa few different opinions as to what works best I would say have and experienced guitar repair person do it for you and if he has the black carbon paint or the foils that would be what you can do to keep noise and tone stealing signals from your axe. The point is to get the guitar to be grouded, like to the ground, through the guitar through the amp through the wall to the building ground.

By the way check these pups out if you like blues and classic rock;

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Strat_Pi ... ips_W1.cfm

Fender silver face tube Champ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:20 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

radarman wrote:
The only other thing I would seriously suggest is doing a nice sheilding job...

That's definitely great advice. I also highly recommend getting a copy of the Fender Stratocaster Handbook.

Some have said to me that it's not necessary for me to get the guitar shielded since I am using SCNs (noiseless pickups). I don't really buy into that - especially since the SCNs still buzz a bit and are subject to things like neon lights etc. I'm probably going to go ahead and have it done anyway.

What do you think about that Radarman?

I found a really good article from Stew-Mac. It goes into great detail about the topic. If you can't get the job done by a tech, this article and Dan Erlewine's book will help. There's foil pickguards and a whole slew of other items out there for shielding. The ONLY way to avoid buzz is to go with active electronics. But "some" buzz is part of the Strat sound.

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/ts0052_shielding.hzml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:45 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

you could try sum vintage noiseless PU...........but since were talking about replacing PU, i was wondering how a HSS HY1 Strat would sound with a Gibson humbucker in the bridge????? anyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:53 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

redstorm1103 wrote:
Some have said to me that it's not necessary for me to get the guitar shielded since I am using SCNs (noiseless pickups). I don't really buy into that - especially since the SCNs still buzz a bit and are subject to things like neon lights etc. I'm probably going to go ahead and have it done anyway.

What do you think about that Radarman?

Good idea, all of the honest single coil players I've talkd to on this subject will admit that noisless isn't 100% noiseless but I'm sure there are a couple of lucky ones out there. I just haven't met them yet, perhaps one day I will.

By the way the Fender Hand Book is a good idea to have handy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:56 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

stratdt wrote:
you could try sum vintage noiseless PU...........but since were talking about replacing PU, i was wondering how a HSS HY1 Strat would sound with a Gibson humbucker in the bridge????? anyone

Personally, I would avoid putting anything in a Stratocaster that's not designated as a Strat-specific pickup replacement. I believe that other pickups might not be designed with the Strat in mind and therefore, might not sound right. Then again, some of the greatest guitarists made innovative sounds by breaking the rules. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:02 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

stratdt wrote:
...i was wondering how a HSS HY1 Strat would sound with a Gibson humbucker in the bridge????? anyone

It would depend on which set of Humbuckers you choose, but I bet it would sound like an HSS HY1 Strat. 8)