It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Super switch wiring for a Strat
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:08 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Please help! I'm rewiring my Mexican strat with American strat parts. The kit I bought came with a fender "super switch" & I really can't work out how to connect it. I know it's not standard, but if someone can illustrate how I might configure it so that I have tone control in the first position (bridge only) that would be great. Otherwise, I'm quite happy to revert to standard American strat wiring.
Cheers Tim

Post subject: Re: Super switch wiring for a Strat
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:48 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi Tim in melbourne,

This is one way to do it, if you have a Standard SSS setup. The super switch is simply four selector switches, with five positions, and 6 terminals on each switch. The standard switch has two selector switches with four terminals each. This wiring will put one tone pot on the bridge, and one tone pot on the neck, with no tone control on the middle. Is that what you want? The numbers at the switch terminals indicate the selector switch position, 1 through 5, with 1 being bridge. Each switch labeled as A, B, C, D. :idea:

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:39 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks shimmilou. I went ahead and did it before I got your post, using the diagram on this link:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46935

I put the tone pots on lugs 1 & 4 of the remaining pole. This should (I think) result in one pot controlling the bridge/middle and the other controlling the neck. As it has turned out, I only get control in the 2nd position (bridge/middle) and 4th position (middle/neck)! Any idea what might be going on?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:11 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Tim in melbourne wrote:
...Any idea what might be going on?

I'm looking at the last picture in the first post from Andybighair, in the thread from the link that you provided. To start with, the drawing in that thread has the numbers wrong, it shows position 1 as the neck. Position 1 is always the bridge position (switch knob towards bottom of guitar). Looks like that whole thread is full of confusion.

Using the drawing in that thread, if you wired the tone pots to the yellow terminals labeled 1 and 4, then you should have one tone control on the "neck" position only, and the other tone control on the "bridge/middle" position only.

In your original post, you indicated that you wanted tone control on the "bridge only". How exactly do you want your tone controls to work? :? Standard Strat wiring gives one tone control for the neck, and one tone control for the middle, with the bridge having no tone control. My drawing has one tone control on the neck, and one tone control on the bridge, with the middle having no tone control. With the super switch, there are many other options, just figure how you want yours to work first. :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:04 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

shimmilou

Actually, I realised after my last post that I do have the tone on the neck position and the bridge/middle position only - so I'm relieved in a way that I just screwed up the switch!

With the configuration of tone pots, I just thought it would be a good idea to have some tone control on the bridge - because it's a p90 and I don't want it to sound too bright. Perhaps I could ask you how you'd configure the pots with this sort of switch and a p90 at the bridge (middle and neck pickups are Mexican strat single coils).

Thanks for your help
Tim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:44 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Hi Tim,

Tim in melbourne wrote:
Thanks shimmilou. I went ahead and did it before I got your post, using the diagram on this link:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46935

I put the tone pots on lugs 1 & 4 of the remaining pole. This should (I think) result in one pot controlling the bridge/middle and the other controlling the neck. As it has turned out, I only get control in the 2nd position (bridge/middle) and 4th position (middle/neck)! Any idea what might be going on?

As author of that thread I apologise for any confusion. I had got the Positions numbered incorrectly but as far as how the switch works its all good.

The following diagram will give you the tone controls you require, wired in the most ergonomic way possible.

Lower Tone pot Controls Bridge and Middle pickups. Upper Tone pot Controls the Neck pup.

Hope this helps

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:17 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thanks Andybighair,

I saved a copy of your drawing for possible future use as a template, it is a good one. I have it in Paint, to remove the wires, so I can fill in any possible wiring configurations quickly. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:51 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

For the record, the company who makes the super switch consider position 1 the neck position, so that can cause some confusion.
If you have visio, I have a wiring template for the super switch.
I like to have one tone for all positions except the bridge which has it's own tone control.
I have a digram for it somewhere.
I also like to add a resistor in series to the tone pot at the Neck+middle position to make it a bit brighter (something thats easy to do with this switch).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:02 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks Andy
Great diagram - I wish I had that a few days ago. Another general question; what do you think about having the bridge/middle pickups on tone 1 and the neck pickup on tone 2? Is that a good setup (remembering I have a P90 on the bridge)?

Thanks again,
Tim