It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post subject: Strat Plus/Ultra Custom Builds
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:35 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I think what I will do is instead of making many threads of various builds, I will just keep using this one over and over for a while. I have a guitars finished that I will post as I go along and then some in the making. Man, I hope these picts are not too big!

For a long time I have wanted to build a Strat Plus Ultra using a custom ordered body. I just picked up this one from Warmoth with a highly flamed Maple top. (Mr. C. I said I am a sucker for flame!) This body is very nice. Since Ultra's and Plus' come with the micro-tilt adjuster on them, I added one to this body (I know a lot of people do not like these but.... the neck plate has the hole and I don;t mind using them! LOL!)

The maple top is laminated to a nice selection of Alder which is stained a dark color which blends nicely over the edges of the top.

The marks you see on the back are finger prints and reflections. I picked up a nice Ultra neck a while back. They have Ebony on the fret board (one of the few Strats to come with Ebony as far as I know) and of course has the chrome plated locking tuners. I just finished a nice fret polishing and cleaning of the whole neck and mounted it on the body. I will be doing the Ultra pickguard in black with black Lace Sensors wired, of course, like an Ultra. I laid a lot of different pickguards on this body and black just seemed to bring out the flame the best and with the Ebony fretboard, well it was my choice. What do you think?

More to come soon....

Fender Play V2
Post subject: Re: Strat Plus/Ultra Custom Builds
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:43 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Xhefri wrote:
What do you think?

it's amazing and I wantz one. :)

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:27 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

You have impeccable taste, Mr. Xhefri

I applaud your visionary capabilties - what a nice Warmoth! 8)

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

It is going to look amazing. Beautiful body, looks great with the ebony fret-board. I love it.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:14 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The only improvment I can think of is no pickguard at all. :wink:

Plus wiring or a custom job?

How much $$$ when it's finished?

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:14 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Which type of bridge you plan to use? a normal American 2-point or a deluxe locking type?

Good news, though, Fender still produces the deluxe locking bridge (http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 1996510100) despite the rumours saying that this product has been discontinued in 2007.

Esthetically this Strat Ultra build looks amazing with its beautiful flamed maple top over the slick 3-tone sunburst finished-alder body. The 3-ply black pickguard suits perfectly the 22-fret dark ebony fretboard. A Lace Ultra pickup set with black covers would complete the overall look.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:15 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

chromeface wrote:
Which type of bridge you plan to use? a normal American 2-point or a deluxe locking type?

Good news, though, Fender still produces the deluxe locking bridge (http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 1996510100) despite the rumours saying that this product has been discontinued in 2007.

Esthetically this Strat Ultra build looks amazing with its beautiful flamed maple top over the slick 3-tone sunburst finished-alder body. The 3-ply black pickguard suits perfectly the 22-fret dark ebony fretboard. A Lace Ultra pickup set with black covers would complete the overall look.

Since I parted out an Ultra to build this I will be using a Fender Floyd Rose II deluxe locking bridge. That will go on after I wire up the pickguard. One of these projects I will build a back loader so there will be no pickgaurd at all, when I buy one of those $500 bodies!

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:37 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

For this Strat Ultra FMT you can't go wrong with kinda something different from a traditional Lace Ultra configuration: Light Blue (neck), Burgundy (middle) and Emerald/Purple Dually (bridge). Try this, you'll not be disappointed!

I would be very glad if you build a Strat Ultra with a highly figured abalone-inlaid Warmoth birdseye maple neck (because you've picked a Warmoth alder body with an extremely flamed maple top for you current project).

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:55 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

chromeface wrote:
For this Strat Ultra FMT you can't go wrong with kinda something different from a traditional Lace Ultra configuration: Light Blue (neck), Burgundy (middle) and Emerald/Purple Dually (bridge). Try this, you'll not be disappointed!

I would be very glad if you build a Strat Ultra with a highly figured abalone-inlaid Warmoth birdseye maple neck (because you've picked a Warmoth alder body with an extremely flamed maple top for you current project).

I really like the Ultra Ebony fretboard with abalone dots......

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:08 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

While waiting to get back to this project, I thought I would show you one I just finished. This is a 1997 Solid Ash Strat Plus with a nice dark Rosewood fretboard that has been upgraded with a DiMarzio DP194 Classic humbucker in the neck connected to a tap switch to split off one side of the coils for a more single coil sound (if wanted.) The DP194 creates a nice vintage PAF tone.

The middle pickup is a Chrome Dome Lace pickup to give that nice quack when mixed with the neck or bridge pickups. I am using a 5-way Fender Super Switch switch which does this:

Position #1 = The bridge pickup in combination with a 3-way Mini Switch. The Mini Switch alone gives several variations, which are really cool. Here's what it does to the Dually Bridge Pickup (and remember too, that these settings can be mixed with the other pickups in Positions #2 & #3). Up) splits off the back pickup, so since the distance is farther away from the bridge, it creates a cool Strat hollow sound, which then can be mixed with the middle pickups with the 5-way switch. Middle) has the bridge pickups in parallel creating a hot humbucker sound. Down) splits off front pickup on the bridge to give a Strat single coil bridge sound.

Position #2: The Bridge and the Middle pickups mixed together, which can get a multitude of Strat out-of-phase tones because of the Mini Switch and the TBX tone control.

Position #3: Here is where we depart from standard Strat wiring. The Neck PU with the Bridge PU like on any 2 PU guitars, such as a Telecaster. Again, with the Mini Switch you can shape the color of the sound. Full, rich rhythm sounds. And both tone controls are also combined in this position too. Sweet.......

Position #4: Is the Neck and the Middle. At any time you can split the Humbucker into a single coil.

Position #5: The Neck Humbucker PU.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:06 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Howdy Mr X!

Lov'in the Flame Maple Top. I take it your keeping the mighty Fire Engine away from that one eh? :wink:

All your guitars just look so damn cool! Everytime I see one I think "Why don't I stop building my own and just send all my money to the X man and get him to build be a proper strat!" :lol:

Keep 'um coming X Man!

Andy

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:21 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Hey Andy, Don't even think that way. You have way too much talent!And besides, half the fun is build'in one...... And you have done some nice ones!

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:50 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Andy I've been pestering Weapon X for ages to sell me a guitar. Particularly that nice Firebird he has.
By the time I've wore him down to sell me one, I'll likely be skint.

Great, ever tastefull work there Mr X. You really ought to share those wonderfull wiring schemes. :wink:

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:09 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

nikininja wrote:
Andy I've been pestering Weapon X for ages to sell me a guitar. Particularly that nice Firebird he has.
By the time I've wore him down to sell me one, I'll likely be skint.

Great, ever tastefull work there Mr X. You really ought to share those wonderfull wiring schemes. :wink:

Sorry mate, I sold that Firebird....... I do need to post some wiring diagrams though as my Ultra wiring is modded from the stock Fender version. Also Niki, this build will be so bright sounding due to the EBONY fret board that I might have to turn the treble down all the way on the amp! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You know how those fret board woods do that! :P

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:19 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Xhefri wrote:
Hey Andy, Don't even think that way. You have way too much talent!And besides, half the fun is build'in one...... And you have done some nice ones!

Too kind! But your right, building 'um is bloody good fun!

I'll do you a deal. I got a few builds in the planning stage at the mo but once those are done, I'll build a Strat and if you like the look I'll do you a trade. A Custom Big Hairy Geet for a Weapon X Special.

And It won't be a train wreck like the last one. I'm thinking caved top Pensa-Suhr style Strat, with some proper pimped out switching. Should be ready sometime in the next five years (Nick will probably have several Weapon X Strats by then)! :D

Cheers!

Andy

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next