It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: hank marvin signature strat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:59 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

hello there,
i have a made in mexico Hank Marvin signature strat in siesta red with a maple neck and chrome hardware.
it has a gold 50 anniversary sticker under the headstock and hanks signature on the body (not the headstock).
it also has a fender certificate of authenticity, which states it is no35 of 300 pieces made.
it was purchased it in England around 1998 i don,t think they were sold in the USA!

does anyone out there have some info regarding these guitars?
nobody seems to know anything about this mim model :?

Post subject: Re: hank marvin signature strat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:18 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Hi zzrsteve, welcome to the Forum.

As it happens, we have a noted member of the Forum, Mr alainlafrance, who is a big expert on all things Hank Marvin related. A couple of years ago there was a thread on this subject and Alain posted very informatively. I'll copy what he wrote for you:

alainlafrance wrote:
1)The first one was a prototype made by the CS at the request of Arbiter according to the specs of HBM.
After some months, without any news from HBM, Arbiter gave the green light to the CS to build a first batch of 25.
Then HBM woke up and said no: Arbiter recalled all to retrofit them but 5 escaped So I own one of these "survivors".

2) In 1992 The HBM CS Signature Strat appeared : about 140 made. I had one I sold because of the deceiving sound

3) in 1995 the CS Scratch Autograph (they had two pickguards, one signed by HBM) HBM Strat appeared : 200 made. I still have one

4) in 1998 the CS 40th Anniversary HBM Strat appeared: 40 units, retrofitted by Arbiter with a led decorated neck

5) in 2008 Oasis Music (Arbiter is now out of the picture with Fender which has its own UK Office) tried to sell a 50th Anniversary HBM Strat , a batch of 25 but I haven't heard about them since last year; the one too many

6) Fender Japan issued an HBM Squier in 1992 : about 1500 were made; then two additional batches of 500

7) in 2000 a limited batch of HBM Strats MIM was released: about 200; they were delivered with an additional tremolo bar : the EasyMute. I had one which I sold after retrofitting it with Kinman pick ups.

As of today, that's all, as far as I know.

But each new series is depreciating the ones before: Limited + Limited+ Limited ..etc = Unlimited with all the resale consequences.
Greed Kills. Specially as the Market Target is very narrow: Old European Shadows Fans and Japanese ones. Most of the Shadows Fans can only afford one at best. Roughly an HBM CS Strat still fetches about US$ 7000

I hope it helps

Alain

Does that partially answer you question? If you want to read more, have a glance at this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=17576

Cheers - C

PS - Has anyone noticed; the search facility on this Forum suddenly only goes back as far as the new website makeover? I had to hunt down the above info by... other methods. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:37 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

PS - Has anyone noticed; the search facility on this Forum suddenly only goes back as far as the new website makeover? I had to hunt down the above info by... other methods. :wink:[/quote]

I did notice this and sent Brad a PM apprising him of the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:00 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi
Think I may have the same Guitar. I have not got the Certificate, it would be nice to see what it looked like.
From what I can gather from page 84 of the Fender Bible, around 1997 there were 300 Hank Marvin MIM Stratocasters with specification similar to the Fender 'Traditional series' with the Signature on the Body not the headstock. I to can not find any more info, or pictures of this model, have you got a picture of yours? Mine has a raised signature on the top of the body.
Thanks
JM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:55 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

zzrsteve wrote:
hello there,
i have a made in mexico Hank Marvin signature strat in siesta red with a maple neck and chrome hardware.
it has a gold 50 anniversary sticker under the headstock and hanks signature on the body (not the headstock).
it also has a fender certificate of authenticity, which states it is no35 of 300 pieces made.
it was purchased it in England around 1998 i don,t think they were sold in the USA!

does anyone out there have some info regarding these guitars?
nobody seems to know anything about this mim model :?

Amazingly similar to my '97 California model. If I can get my fingers and brain coordinated enough, I'll post a pic.[img]p1020011.jpg[/img]
I tried dragging and dropping ... ?
Can't seem to find instructions for posting pic's anywhere... sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:13 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

FYI a few Custom Shop Hank Marvin prototypes were featured with Lace Sensors and an Eric Clapton active mid-boost circuit. Only 20 samples were made in 1990 before Hank changed his mind.