It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Searching for a 62 American Vintage Stratocaster Body
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:49 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I recently traded a mid priced guitar (the brand is not important) for an American Vintage 62 Reissue Strat. Unfortunately the person I got it from tried to "distress" the body and totally screwed up the finish. He also whacked the body with a hammer and screwed up the edges (why do some people do what they do?). I am trying to locate a Sunburst finish replacement body because I have neither the time nor the patience to repair it myself. Does anyone know what model # body I should be searching for? Also, since the damaged body is alder I want an alder replacement. I don't want to stain and varnish it myself so I'm looking for something with a factory finish. Any suggestion as to where I should begin looking? Whatever info anyone can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks, the Prof

Post subject: 62 RI body
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:51 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi the prof,

A good place to start might be eBay, there are individuals and stores that have the body you want. Just do an eBay search for " 62 fender strat body", look for a reputable seller and you can find some good deals. Look carefully, some people like to call the Mex versions "60s Reissue" or other such misleading name. The Mex bodies will look good also, but are all poly finish, compared to the Amer nitro finish. :idea:

http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/Musical-Instruments-/619/i.html?_kw=62&_kw=fender&_kw=strat&_kw=body&_dmpt=Guitar_Accessories

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:59 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

You can find any number of 62 RI bodies on eBay which are Nitro and Alder. Highway One bodies are also nitro, but lack a finished gloss, but are much less expensive. You want to make sure though that you are buying a MIA or USA body. Your current neck is a USA neck. Plus your current hardware will only fit a USA body. Mexican made bodies will have different trem holes because the size is different. So be careful when you are looking at replacement bodies that could be 62 Reissues, but made in Japan or Mexico. Hold out if you can for an authentic USA body to keep your USA parts holding their value together.

You can purchase a licensed body from vendors such as All-Parts, WD or Warmoth. I've found that Warmoth makes a really nice replacement body and the paint is a thinner durable finish. Its not Nitro but you can select whatever tone wood you want. It should also be a little less expensive than a Fender USA body, but you never know when you can find that eBay deal.

If you are looking for a nice Alder Sunburst Nitro body you can look for an Eric Johnson Strat body. The SRV body is really nice, but is a Urethane finish. If the Nitro vs. Urethane is not an arguement for you, then the Urethane finish will stay nicer longer. I have an SRV body (coming of a donor guitar for a custom project) that is beautiful. But you have to determine what finish you prefer. In a body like that you can have that upside down Lefty trem like SRV.

So my best advice is to ask questions from whoever you buy from and make sure you are buying a USA spec body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:44 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Chicagoblue wrote:
You can find any number of 62 RI bodies on eBay which are Nitro and Alder. Highway One bodies are also nitro, but lack a finished gloss, but are much less expensive. You want to make sure though that you are buying a MIA or USA body. Your current neck is a USA neck. Plus your current hardware will only fit a USA body. Mexican made bodies will have different trem holes because the size is different. So be careful when you are looking at replacement bodies that could be 62 Reissues, but made in Japan or Mexico. Hold out if you can for an authentic USA body to keep your USA parts holding their value together.

You can purchase a licensed body from vendors such as All-Parts, WD or Warmoth. I've found that Warmoth makes a really nice replacement body and the paint is a thinner durable finish. Its not Nitro but you can select whatever tone wood you want. It should also be a little less expensive than a Fender USA body, but you never know when you can find that eBay deal.

If you are looking for a nice Alder Sunburst Nitro body you can look for an Eric Johnson Strat body. The SRV body is really nice, but is a Urethane finish. If the Nitro vs. Urethane is not an arguement for you, then the Urethane finish will stay nicer longer. I have an SRV body (coming of a donor guitar for a custom project) that is beautiful. But you have to determine what finish you prefer. In a body like that you can have that upside down Lefty trem like SRV.

So my best advice is to ask questions from whoever you buy from and make sure you are buying a USA spec body.

The MIM '50s, '60s, and '70s Classic re-issue bodies will all accommodate virtually every piece of vintage-spec MIA Fender hardware without need for any modification. And unlike the HW1 bodies, these are correctly routed to vintage specs. They are polyester finishes however.

The MIJ/CIJ re-issue bodies are manufactured to the same specs as the MIM's though some less-expensive models are built of basswood. Like the Ensenada-made bodies they are generally polyester-finished.

The WD Strat bodies are visibily out-of-spec when compared to a genuine Fender part and I would never use one in any restoration or new build. Allparts, Warmoth, USACG,and Musikraft all catalog authentic bodies, with the latter three offering nitro finishes.

HTH

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY