It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Squier - How much is it worth
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:28 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi,
I've a Squier and i don't have a clue how much its worth and i also dont know anything about it. All i do know is that, it's a Fender Squier Stratocaster and it may be a 1962 judging off a pickboard thats for sale online that is an exact match to mine.

Background
My dad use to own a night club that he use to have rock bands play in, a player had left it there one night and never came to pick it up. My dad wanted me to start lessons so i had to have new strings put on. I played for abit but then got bored. It's been stuck on a wall for the past 5 years, it was only until the other day that i found out it might be worth something.
Any reply will be appreciated!
Thanks.

I will add pictures at a later date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:43 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Squire Strats usually have little interest for collectors. There are some Tonepro strats that may be of interest, but in general Squire Strats used run from $50 up to $300-400. You are probably incorrect about the year made. I beleive Squire started making Strats licensed by Fender in the 1980's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:05 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

paisley strat wrote:
Squire Strats usually have little interest for collectors. There are some Tonepro strats that may be of interest, but in general Squire Strats used run from $50 up to $300-400. You are probably incorrect about the year made. I beleive Squire started making Strats licensed by Fender in the 1980's.

After doing some research i've found that it first came out in the late 50's however they slightly changed the neck end in the early 60's

Just for future reference! :wink:

Snoopysnoop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:05 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Sorry man, but Fender didn't buy Squier until the mid 60's and they didn't start making guitars until the 80's. Here's a history:

Fender, under the ownership of CBS, acquired the Squier brand name in the mid to late-1960s when it bought a USA based string-making firm, but it lay dormant for many years.

In the early 1980s, several events were pushing Fender to produce a second-line brand. Firstly, CBS had sold out to new management without the factories in California. This meant there would be a drop in production before new manufacturing plants could be constructed and commissioned. Also, there was a demand for an inexpensive range of guitars that could not be manufactured in the USA at a low enough cost due to the cost of manpower and raw materials. Furthermore, companies were producing Strat copies at affordable prices to cater to a large market of novice guitarists, and this trend was eroding Fender's share of the market, especially in Europe and Asia.

As a solution to the aforementioned problems, the Squier brand name was resurrected in the early 1980s to distinguish a series of classic reproductions called the known as the Squier JV series. These were surprisingly accurate reproductions of classic 1950s and 1960s Fender guitar models. Soon, a second series followed and these were called the SQ series as seen from the prefix to their serial numbers. They were generally reproductions of 1970s models, the main difference being that they were completely made out of parts made in Japan, whereas the initial JV series used USA-manufactured pickups.

Have you got a serial number off that guitar? We can find out when it was made if you've got one.

Hmmm...no foolin ...." FZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:56 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

According to Vintage Guitar Magazine 2008 price guide "Fender Japan was established in 1982 with Squire production beginning in 1983. Production was shifted to Korea in 1987 and later allocated to China, India(Squire II 1989-90) Mexico and Indonesia." "Fender Mexico started Fender guitar production in 1990"
I have never heard of Squire guitars from the 50's. Don't think that Fender was making copies of their own designs at that time. It could have been there were Squire guitars, but not licensed Strat copies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:31 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Yeah, Snoop is mistaken big time. That Squier isn't worth anything special. Can't imagine where he got that "it made in the 50's" info. Wherever he got it, he should sell that axe to that person quickly before they find out it's worth $50.

Hmmm...no foolin ...." FZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:20 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

people say they are worth a lot
Squier is just a copycat brand
made mostly for beginnning musicians

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:31 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star