It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Urban Legends or a fact about Bahama Green
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:50 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Look at this eBay auction and tell me what you know (not think!): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290414965710&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Over the years I have been studying Strat and Tele colors. I have old color charts, books on Fender guitars, talked with Fender reps, not to mention owning and disassembling 100's of guitars, etc. There is one matter I need to know for sure. Is Bahama Green a fact or an urban legend? I have seen various shades of Sea Foam Green (which is what I think this color really is) as well as Surf Green and the rare Taos Turquoise. Do a Google image search for Bahama Green (or the fender site for that matter) and you will find zip. Do an image search for Sea Foam Green and see what you come up with. you tell me: FACT OR FICTION!

Last edited by Xhefri on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:55 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

interesting.... a custom finish maybe? it looks like mtn. dew baja blast......

Melvins
The Jesus Lizard
Cows
Big Business
R***man
Minutemen
Flight
Minor Threat
Big Black
Shellac
Karp
Scratch Acid
Wipers
Pixies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:03 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

check this out, scroll about a little over half way down the page and look at item 17: bahama green!

http://fenderbass.free.fr/divers/couleur.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:20 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Tanner1994 wrote:
check this out, scroll about a little over half way down the page and look at item 17: bahama green! http://fenderbass.free.fr/divers/couleur.htm

Thanks Tanner. :wink:

Very interesting as the fellow with the eBay auction said he saw it listed at color #17. The French translation for the section on the website says "List of all the range of colors used by Fender since its creation." So odd one never see this listed, especially when you go down on that website and see the section called "Rare Fender Couleur Custom" and they list pretty common colors such as (Sea) Foam Green, Daphne Blue, Coral Pink, Shoreline Gold, Candy Apple Blue (really Midnight Blue, as I never heard it call that but applied the same way as Candy Apple Red), and Inca Silver. I have several of these colors in my collection right now and have owned all of them, but never a Bahama Green! Ummmm. So many people mistake Surf green for Sea Foam. Surf is lighter and more milky looking.

Here is a a Sea Foam Green as listed on a pro-refinish website that deals with vintage fender colors (many of the Strat Plus' early on used vintage colors, even though not listed. Plus a Tele in Sea Foam green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:59 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

It sounds like you did the research to prove that it's an urban legend.

Member #26797
My other guitar is a Strat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:08 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

orvilleowner wrote:
It sounds like you did the research to prove that it's an urban legend.

Not really. What I have done is, doing research as accepting it as urban legend until proven otherwise. In dealing with legal matters, as well as in dealing with guitars :wink:, one has to get past the circumstantial, to the factual. And with Fender guitars there are a lot of urban legends.

I do not know how many guitar stores I have seen that have told a customer this Strat is and then they rattle off some color that does not exist. In this case, there are almost no references to Bahama Green really existing other than a website from France, and obscure reference about Fender having it as an option for a short time for some of their Bass guitars years ago, and the fact that Eric Heatherly owning one ( and could have been misinformed by a well meaning guitar sales person or private individual. After all that is how a lot of urban legends get started!) All not great proof for winning case in court! But I am convinced about, 80% Fender might have had a few that were called this and that the color, as admitted by some, was a shade off of some of the Sea Foam Green Strats.

I am not trying to be a know it all or disprove anything. I would simply like to see a real Fender color chart (not something typed up off the internet) that listed the #17 Bahama Green. Then I could rest assured that my quest was really found! :lol: No offense to anyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:18 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Bahama Green? Never heard about.

Did you mean Bahama Blue, perhaps? Take a look at this Suhr 24-Fret Modern pictured below:

Beautiful quilted maple top on this guitar. I guess John has done a very good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:20 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:21 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:30 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I did find on an older Fender forum thread where a guy wrote, "I talked with the folks at Fender today and they told me that Bahama Green is indeed different than Sea Foam Green; Bahama Green is slightly darker. According to their 1988 color catalog, Bahama Green is number 17, Surf Green is number 57 and Sea Foam Green is number 49. Bahama Green is, apparently, quite rare. It's a gorgeous color on a Strat."

So here we have a statement of a person who says they talked to someone at Fender. Are we getting closer to having a 100% fact? :wink:

I want to be careful, as I started one urban legend myself. When I first started my website I could not find this color anywhere so I just called it Aqua Blue.
Image Image
After a long time of digging I found that this color, for a fact, is called Taos Turquoise, which was a vintage Fender color. In fact in 1987-1990 many of the Strat Plus guitars came in Vintage colors, even though not listed as available on the Plus list of colors. And today, if you do a Google search for Aqua Blue Strat, you will find it due to my website! And some places even use my picture to prove it....So on the Bahama Green, I just want to be real sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:12 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I have no knowledge of colours at all, their just not important to me unless their red.

What I would question are the Fender branded Lace Sensor pickups on that guitar. I thought they were a recent thing, that 80's Lace pickups were simply branded Lace Sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:13 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

It's great that you're actually doing research on this,so many people look at a vintage Strat and call it a different color...I had a '65 Sonic Blue that faded to a green much like a Foam or Surf color.If you looked at it most people thought that was what it was....I don't have it anymore,sadly or I would post a picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:41 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

nikininja wrote:
I have no knowledge of colours at all, their just not important to me unless their red.

What I would question are the Fender branded Lace Sensor pickups on that guitar. I thought they were a recent thing, that 80's Lace pickups were simply branded Lace Sensor.

Hey Niki, when Laces first came out in 87 (some experimental models were floating around before that but not released as a feature for sale or promoted, They came in on the heel of fender's Elite pickups) they were as they are on Fender guitars today—called Fender Lace Sensors, with different colors representing the different types of "k" for tone. Since Fender's contract with Lace ended sometime in 1999, when fender came out with their new Noiseless pickups, Lace started marketing their pickups simply as Lace Sensors.

Old ones:
New ones:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:55 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

There's a website that has a bunch of old catalogs online. I know they have fender but not sure if they have 1988, think they have 87 though.
I signed up once to look for something. It's like $10 for 1 month I think.

Let me see if I can find the webpage, think it's called vintage guitar or vintage guitar catalogs, something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

http://www.vintaxe.com/catalogs.htm

Looks like they have serveral different series from 1988.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next