It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Schaller Locking tuners in Mexican Strat/ Good humbucker?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:48 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a Made in Mexico Strat that I bought a few years ago as a step up from my Squier. I have since gotten a couple Music Man guitars, and now that I'm in a band I'm using a few different tunings, I want to start using the Strat again. Problem is the pickups sound like crap for the type of stuff we're playing (Classic Rock/Metal). So I want to mod it (my first time with stuff like this), and for the sake of simplicity, I just want a single bridge humbucker and volume knob. So do you guys have suggestions for a bridge pickup, preferably Dimarzio, that is great for rhythm/chord playing but also suitable for leads? I'd like it to be warm and fat, kinda geared toward a Les Paul type of sound. I've been looking at the Breed, Tone Zone, and Steve's Special. Do you guys have experience with these?

Next I want to replace the tuners with Schaller Locking Tuners, but I don't want to be drilling any holes. So will I be able to just drop the Schallers right in with no problem? If not, what locking tuners will, or what other methods of keeping the guitar in tune after using the whammy bar would you recommend? I think I remember reading that Eddie Van Halen did something with the trem springs, but I don't know for sure.

And I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out with this: I have no clue what the model of my Strat is. It's Mexican made, has a Satin red finish, and the model was discontinued. It was some kind anniversary model, but I can't remember what the guy said about it. I just remember liking the neck haha.

Oh and what would you recommend for cleaning the body? It's a satin finish, so my Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes didn't work. It's really dirty, my Dunlop 65 polish did a good job, but I can still see some dirt.

I have one last question, and this is just a general question that I've been wondering about for a while. What's the purpose of string trees?

Thanks a bunch!

Post subject: Re: Schaller Locking tuners in Mexican Strat/ Good humbucker
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:44 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

DaPatrooch wrote:
... Problem is the pickups sound like crap for the type of stuff we're playing (Classic Rock/Metal). So I want to mod it (my first time with stuff like this), and for the sake of simplicity, I just want a single bridge humbucker and volume knob. So do you guys have suggestions for a bridge pickup, preferably Dimarzio, that is great for rhythm/chord playing but also suitable for leads? I'd like it to be warm and fat, kinda geared toward a Les Paul type of sound. I've been looking at the Breed, Tone Zone, and Steve's Special. Do you guys have experience with these?

... Schaller Locking Tuners, but I don't want to be drilling any holes...
... what locking tuners will,
or what other methods of keeping the guitar in tune after using the whammy bar would you recommend? I think I remember reading that Eddie Van Halen did something with the trem springs, but I don't know for sure.

I have no clue what the model of my Strat is....

Oh and what would you recommend for cleaning the body? It's a satin finish, so my Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes didn't work. It's really dirty, my Dunlop 65 polish did a good job, but I can still see some dirt.

I have one last question, and this is just a general question that I've been wondering about for a while. What's the purpose of string trees?

Thanks a bunch!

I don't have any experience with DiMarzio full size buckers (I've got a stacked HS-3 in the neck though). I have seen someone recommend a Tone Zone before- actually it was in a user review of a bucker equipped tele.

I have a '97 MIM strat with a maple fretboard that I put a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom TB-11 in. I am very happy with it.
It replaced a Seymour Duncan Custom TB-5 which is too harsh and bright with a maple fretboard.
I wouldn't call my sound warm and fat like a Les Paul. Its a strat.

Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains had a JB in his super stat, as does the signature ESP strat of Michael Wilton from Queensryche.

I would see what the Joe Satriani and Steve Vai signature Ibanezes have in them for pickup ideas.

My opinion is that if you take out the other two pickups it will only limit you. PLUS, the strat neck pickup is one of the best sounds on earth. I would just leave the other two pickups stock if you really don't want to spend money or time messing with them.

In this thread here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... ?t=2278071
a poster said (the 14th response) "yes maple neck strats can sound really fat. I just put a dirty fingers in my strat and it really thickened this guitar up. The jb in the strat above it cuts really well and gets really raunchy, but the dirty fingers has this big dark tone to it. I like it.

Look around, theres lots of great humbuckers out there and each will have a dramatic impact on your sound."

I have the Fender Schaller locking tuners in my warmoth replacement neck, but I believe they require a wider hole at the very top, so that would involve drilling.

Warmoth's site says that standard tuner holes are 11/32" throughout. Go here http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/Str ... thPro.aspx and click the "tuner holes" link on the left for info on the other sizes.
So if you can find replacement tuners that require a 11/32" hole they should drop in, according to Warmoth's site.

To fix trem-related tuning problems, in addtion to getting the locking tuners, either replace the nut with a graphtech graphite nut or put graphite powder in the nut slots (buy a little tube of "Key & Lock lubrication" at the hardware store).

If I were to buy a new MIM strat today I would buy graphtech graphite saddles at the same time and install them the second I got home. They are great and will help with tuning problems.

I don't know why, but in 11 years I've never bought anything to clean the guitar. Cotton underwear and water has worked for me! :)

My 11 year old guitar looks brand new, except for three scratches from putting my guitar down on my bed on top of my wirecutters!

Can't help you with the model- I don't know all that stuff- I just play guitar! :)

String trees keep the strings firmly held down in the nut so they ring out properly when played open.
The Eric Johnson signature has staggered tuners so that the high E and B tuner string holes are closer to the neck, making those strings go over the nut at a sharper angle, making the string trees unnecessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:23 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

I have two strats. One MIM & one Highway one.

On my MIM I added a grapthech nut and that is all I need to help with the tuning. Regular tuners and stays in tune. I do not use the whammy on either guitar. The highway 1 needed locking tuners and then a graphtech nut. The Fender locking tuners I bought for the highway 1 will work with the MIM. You can get them at GC or best buy that sells guitars. The tuners drop right in, no drilling.

On my MIM I changed the the pick ups to an area 67 / area 58 / and a PAF Pro humbucker. The PAF Pro will probably not be the sound you want. For Dimarzios if I were you I would look at the 36th anniversary humbucker or the Norton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:44 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I would get an EMG 89 or an EMG 81tw :)