It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: S-1 Switch
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:59 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Help Please, I am wanting to replace the stock knobs on my AM. DLX H.S.S. STRAT. w/ custom knobs however I don't want to lose the s-1 switching options. Can I PUT IN A PUSH-PULL TONE CONT. and somehow connect to S-1 Inards? Has anyone tried this or other options? Please reply! :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:53 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I spoke to a tech about the S-1 switching. He told me that the wiring inside was pretty hairy and different than the normal switchings. He suggested taking it to a tech, for any work I might want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:14 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Since you´re talking about the s-1 switch, do you guys know if I can buy it to install on my guitar ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:27 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Gustavo Mesquita wrote:
Since you´re talking about the s-1 switch, do you guys know if I can buy it to install on my guitar ?

Why not?....sure you can.I installed the S-1 switch in my strat...the pick-ups i used are SCN's for the neck and middle as for the bridge i used Tone Zone S.

As for the thread starter i dont think swapping the push-pull knob would be ideal if you want to get the same pickup configurations as the S-1.The S-1 switch is fairly complex compared to the push-pull....look at the picture i provided below when i installed in for my strat.I hope it helps....i'm no expert and i could be wrong too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:22 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Gustavo Mesquita wrote:

Fender refuses to sell S-1 switches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:24 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

belphedeus wrote:
Gustavo Mesquita wrote:

Why not?....sure you can.I installed the S-1 switch in my strat...the pick-ups i used are SCN's for the neck and middle as for the bridge i used Tone Zone S.

As for the thread starter i dont think swapping the push-pull knob would be ideal if you want to get the same pickup configurations as the S-1.The S-1 switch is fairly complex compared to the push-pull....look at the picture i provided below when i installed in for my strat.I hope it helps....i'm no expert and i could be wrong too. :D

Ok......I didn't know they sold the S-1 switch. In the past when people tried to get them......Fender refused to see them. I always thought you had to have any repairs concerning the S-1 switch done by an Authorized dealer, so that he could order the switch from Fender.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:26 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

That last thing I posted. I meant to say Fender refused to seel them in the past, when people tried to order them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:26 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I meant "sell". Geez.....I can't type this morning, I'm still waking up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:28 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Syeklops wrote:
Ok......I didn't know they sold the S-1 switch. In the past when people tried to get them......Fender refused to see them. I always thought you had to have any repairs concerning the S-1 switch done by an Authorized dealer, so that he could order the switch from Fender.

Hi Syeklops...you're right that you got to get them from the authorized dealers but i got mine from bonafide sellers in eBay....its brand new taken out from an Am Dlx strat....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:33 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Though I think what loneblueswolf (the OP) is asking is whether he can put a custom knob on top of the pot that has the S1 gizmo underneath.

The answer is - I dunno. I have the S1 on a Strat, but I've never tried (dared) to pull the knob off to see what lies beneath - for fear of damaging it in some way I then can't repair.

loneblueswolf, you'll just have to try it and tell us what you find. Maybe it's a regular push-push pot shaft (not push-pull) within which case it'll work. Or maybe not.

In case I've misunderstood and you are actually asking whether the S1 can be replaced with a push-pull pot and achieve the same pickup configurations: no you can't. That's why Fender use that fiendish little PCB, cos it's the only route to that setup.

I took one look at that thing and quickly screwed my pickguard back on the guitar. Too scary to mess with!

Cheers - C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:43 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Ceri wrote:
I took one look at that thing and quickly screwed my pickguard back on the guitar. Too scary to mess with!

LOL!!!

Anyway guys here is what the S-1 switch looks like....the knobs and the pot itself...

Sorry i dont have a closer picture of the S-1....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:46 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

belphedeus wrote:
Anyway guys here is what the S-1 switch looks like....the knobs and the pot itself...

Excellent - well you're a braver man than me!

Now tell us, does that knurled shaft just work as a regular push-push mechanism on the pot? Within which case the OP can stick any knob on there that fits that size of shaft, right?

...Hmm, or does the shaft look rather short? Does it have to be the special Fender knob to work?

Cheers - C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:57 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Ceri wrote:
...Hmm, or does the shaft look rather short? Does it have to be the special Fender knob to work?

Good guess Ceri....well i guess we all know Fender....it has to be the Fender S-1 knob as the shaft for the pot is rather deep inside for any push pull i've seen so far to reach in and activate it...

Post subject: S-1 Switch
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:12 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

HEY Fellow Stratsmen; Thanks for all the feedback! let me clarify. My hope was to be able to leave the S-1 inside the pickguard put a push-push vol. Or better yet Tone pot.(would''nt get in the way of the trem. bar) in and hopefully find contact points on the S-1 SINCE IT HAS SIMPLY AN UP-DOWN pos. that could tie to the up-down pos. of the new pot. Maybe this is'nt possible because of the complexity of the switch. But hey I knoww with 2 push-push tone pots I could at least get my bridge H.B to single & get the other 2 -4 combinations bridge-neck & all 3 pups AND GET RID OF THE PLASTIC KNOBS!! Sorry I just hate 'em!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:29 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Hi loneblueswolf: the answer to your question lies in the posts above.

The S1 switch is not just about splitting the humbucker: it provides various options of series and parallel pickup connection, and on some models it also offers a "special capacitor" for additional tone options.

You ain't going to achieve all of that in any other way - at least not without a mountain of wiring and switches.

If you like what the S1 does then you gotta keep it, and from what belphedeus says you can't put another knob on there. If you want different knobs then you are going to lose the S1, by the look of it...

Sorry 'bout that...

Cheers - C