It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Speaker replacement....
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:58 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey guys - just bought my Super Champ X2 today! The cleans are lovely - it's what attracted me to buy it in the first place. Got home today today and plugged in my pedals and got a little disappointed. With any small amount of gain the amp starts to fart out especially on the low strings - buzzy/farty type deal. This happens both with my TS808 and modded BD-2. I'm quite sure it's the shortcomings of the speaker and so guys - any suggestions on what to change to would be greatly appreciated. I've heard good things of the Raging Cajun and i've checked it out. Any other input though would be lovely.

Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Speaker replacement....
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:52 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey, congrats on your purchase. A lot of value and versatility in the SCX2. No doubt that Eminence offers a number of well regarded options worth considering for a 10" replacement speaker (Legend 1058, Ragin Cajun, Ramrod, etc...) but I would respectfully submit a few other considerations prior to spending the money (and voiding your warranty?):
- Connect the SCX2 to the Fender Fuse software and see if you can't mod the EQ to your liking (EQ is shared by both Clean/DSP channels)
- Consider buying an amp stand to prevent the SCX2 from "coupling" with the floor (can achieve a degree of low end clean-up of your tone by this method)
- Allow the stock speaker to break in. 2/3 months should produce a noticeable change in behavior and tone

If these low cost measures find you still coming up short of your tonal expectations, then by all means change out your 10" stock and let us know your choice of brand/model and your impressions!
Good luck and regards...

Super Champ X2 Combo
Swart Space Tone 6V6se

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:45 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

The stock speaker in the SC is a very nice speaker. Fender does not load its amps with crappy speakers. However, companies like Eminence do not stay in business because there is no such thing as an upgrade. The speaker in a Fender may be an Eminence! The speaker industry is a weird duck. The variations that allow for so many speaker styles would be considered aberrations in a hi-fi sense. Alnico speakers do something with sound that no ceramic speaker can ever do. Is that a good thing? Only you can decide. Is it worth the the cost of three or four ceramic speakers to get a sound that many may not be able to hear? Only you can decide. Tubes also have unique ways of turning a guitar output into sound. All of these things are like an artist making their own colors in painting.

Do not spend money you don't have. Music is ultimately from the heart and fingers.

For many, stock will always be good enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:13 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Good suggestions. I would def allow for the breakin period. It makes a HUGE difference in every speaker from the lowest to the highest. I have the 112 cab version and I find it sounding better the more I use it. As also mentioned previously there are massive tone shaping tools in fuse your mid knob being the first and foremost. Until I tweaked the mids on the models to my liking I wasn't totally happy with the sounds I was getting. I would also suggest giving the onboard pedals a try. I have AB'd my Dunlop fuzz and my Analogman modded ds1 with the fuze fuzz and od pedals and was able to "construct" working models of my pedals that I think are pretty much spot on. (I still love me pedals!) the superchamp loves its own pedals. Maybe it's the platform or the digitalness of it all but the superchamp to my ears responds better to its own effects. It won't replace your whole pedal board but if your just building some good tones its a good place to start. Hope that helps I'm still learning the ropes of this thing too!
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I did put an Eminence Red Fang in my SC. Even stiff and new it has a creaminess and harmonics that are uniquely alnico. I love it and at 102 db it really opened the amp up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:13 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I put in an Eminence Lil Buddy hemp cone speaker, at first I was a little disappointed, as the stock speaker was breaking in nicely, and the Lil Buddy significantly changed the tone. but once the Lil Buddy broke in a little it has become my all time favorite tone at the lower volumes. If I need something bigger I can use my Hot Rod Deluxe, but I actually am beginning to like the tone of the SCX2/Lil Buddy even more than the HRD with the Eminence Tonespotter speaker and am contemplating a hemp cone speaker for the HRD.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:28 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I have finally gotten to play my X2 with some other people and my Red Fang is more broken in. My friend, a drummer, likes the sound of my amp better than the BF DR that he has. It is not a re-issue either. The Red Fang makes the X2 sound huge and the bottom end is full and punchy. The Vox setting is my main voice to use when using that channel. Otherwise it is just the clean channel. I'll get this thing out to a gig yet. The Red Fang is the best high end alnico 10" I have heard. It makes the Celestion Blues and Golds sound anemic in the lower registers. At 50 watts it will take everything the X2 wants to give it and makes the Vox settings sound as close as one can get without EL34/84 tubes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:45 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I have been liking my X2 with the Lil Buddy as well.

After storing my Hot Rod Deluxe in my shed (climate controlled) for several years. Having been playing my Valve Jr, and then the new Super Champ X2, and having no room by my computer desk because there were too many guitars there, (which is where I practice) so when I sold the SG there was just enough room to fit it back in the mix.

Man what a difference, it is hifi compared to my other amps, and by a long shot. Now the HRD is not anywhere near stock, it has souped up tubes from Eurotubes, and an Eminence Tone Spotter speaker, and a Weber Beam Blocker in front of the speaker, all three mods made a small difference, but the three mods together made a huge difference in the clean channel tone. I don't use the OD channel unless the thing is turned up to band level volumes, so I put several stomps in front and wow. I think I am in love again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:39 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I am seriously considering a beam blocker. Might try something homegrown. Weber might be on to something there. I was thinking of building my own cab with a speaker hole cut with a wood band left in place as a blocker. So far, just a thought. Give me a little extra wood to play with and this mad scientist may get to work. :lol: Something decorative on the round part of the blocker is a consideration. Some sort of sigil would be my most likely approach.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sigil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:24 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

There was some noise a little while back and some web based folks spoke of making a doughnut shaped thing out of foam to attach inside the grill cloth instead of the beam blocker. I dunno, taking the speaker out of the HRD is a pain in the keester, so I never tried it after installing the Tonespotter and the beam blocker.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:34 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

@Desertbluesman:
After listening to many of the sound clips over at Eminence, I have to say that after the Red Fang, the hemp coned speakers are the other speakers I like. Going to have to play with one in a separate cab one day. The 12" RF is a completely different beast. The Hemp coned 12'' speakers sound better to me. The ceramic C. Rex sounds very close to the alnico C.Major until single note leads begin and them the alnico shows that there is a real aural difference. I did not say better because, each person has their own idea of what the the right way a note should sound. The Lil Buddy has a really nice tone to it. I would choose it over the R.Cajun although that is a very respectable speaker.

I have to acknowledge Eminence for their artistry with all of these subtle differences in how their speakers make sounds.

Last edited by modwiz on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:50 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I fired up the Super Champ X2 for my 2nd practice session today, using the same guitar as I used for the 1st session. I like the heck outta the SCX2 just as much as the HRD. The HRD is a little more hi fi than the X2, but the way I got it tweaked using Fuze, I think is is almost a match in tonal greatness. I thank the Eminence Lil Buddy for part of that tone as well, although the stock speaker was beginning to break in nicely when I changed out the speaker.

I use the Super Sonic model for overdrives using the twin reverb 2-12 cab setting after trying the 4-12 G setting for a while, and I am pleasantly pleased in how great that little amp sounds both the clean and dirty side. I think the stock speaker setting for the Super Sonic model was SS-2-12, a little too dull for my taste but still a nice sound.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:54 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I think the beauty of the Lil Buddy is in it's ability to negate the pick attack just enough to bring it in line with the rest of the tonal range. At first it was a bit disappointing of the Lil Buddy but after a few weeks of daily use it began to impress me mightily.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:13 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I hear that the hemp cones takes a bit longer than the regular cones to 'come alive'. Makes sense given the firmer fiber. I was reading reviews for the hemp speakers and they all speak of how nicely Fender highs get tamed while also tightening up the bottom and having a smooth mid-range. Truth be told, I consistently prefer the 10" speakers overall. Makes looking for the right 12" a lot more fun. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:05 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Guys,
I bought and sold a SCX2 head. I had installed a Mercury Magnetics Deluxe Reverb output tranny, NOS matched JAN6V6GTs, properly biased, a new Mullard 12AX7 and a Weber 12F150, 50W 8 ohm speaker. I opted to keep my custom built homebrew Tonemaster Reverb. Well, I just sold the TR as it turns out to be too much for this 60 yo fart! Never thought I'd see, or hear the day! After selling the homebrew, my go to guy at Sweetwater, Marshall, sold me an SCX2 and footswitch for a price I could not refuse. The amp is a combo; blonde & oxblood grillcloth. So, I've got a Merc Mag Axiom output tranny for a Princeton Reverb comin' from Pat at MM; a WeberVST 10F150, 50W 8ohm from Weber; a NOS matched pair of JAN6V6GTs to pop in and bias up, and lastly a NOS Mullard 12AX7. I want to keep my tone, but at a lower dB!!! I'll let you know when she all comes together. Any and all suggestions appreciated! Thanks....
2Gs