It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How do I record backup tracks with Mustang III and computer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:38 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi Everyone!

I play Bass, Guitar, and an Eastwood Airline Electric Mandola, what I would like to do is record a backup track. and have it on CD using the guitar and bass so I can play my mandola live. I'll play the CD through my Tascam Guitar Trainer using my Bass amp (Ampeg 115) and play the Mandola through the Mustang III. I have a Mustang III that's about a year old, Ableton Lite Live 8 (8.09) and Windows 7. I can connect the Mustang III to the computer using the USB cord and I think I can connect the headphone output on my computer to the AUX input on the amp and hear the full sound through the amp headphones but I'm not sure, I haven't tried it yet. After I get the connections right and get into Ableton, I'll try to muddle my way through that using the Ableton info. My big question is can I record using my amp into Ableton and then convert it over to CD, will this work? Everyone by now has figured out that I don't know much about anything, so....If your kind enough to help me out..... please keep it simple, I'll get lost real quick. I just turned 21 for the third time (63) and I still haven't learned much!

Also, is there a better, simpler, and easier way to do this. I'm not locked in to any particular method.

Thanks very much!

Post subject: Re: How do I record backup tracks with Mustang III and compu
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:38 am 
Amateur
Amateur

For recording:
for cheap 'n cheerful you could try Audacity (it's free) - very basic and much, much simpler than Ableton. I use it on a laptop for grabbing quick ideas from the Mustang.
For multitrack I use Reaper - inexpensive and easier to use than Ableton.

For the headphones you should just use the PC headphone out - if you plug that back into the Musty aux you will get feedback I think.
The aux is for playing a CD, or your PC's audio output, for you to play over.. so that will do the other half of what you want..
Playback from a PC while recording to same PC may not be so easy to set up without a proper sound card.

As for creating a CD, just export the audio as WAV files then make the audio CD (not a PC data cd) using the supplied Windows tools

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:25 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

What markcc said. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:08 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

This thread has moved over to "Mustang II + Ableton by Juhaj