It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Recording Static
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:40 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I was hoping someone might have experience with a problem I am having recording guitar when introducing a Mustang III V1 to my signal path.

Guitar > Mustang (out the 1/8th headphone jack) > External Audio Interface > Computer > Reason

When using this setup I end up with a, sort of digital static, sound that is always there but more pronounced in the pauses between guitar notes. Its certainly clearer when using a high gain model but can be heard on even the cleanest of fender settings.

I've ruled out any other piece of hardware/software/cable simply by the fact that when I remove the Mustang from the path and use a direct line in, I do not have any problems at all.

One more note, I'm fairly certain I've tried to connect the Send to the audio interface directly in the past and still got the digital static so I don't think its the 1/8th jack.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Recording Static
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:09 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

is it present if you unplug the guitar from the amp?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:18 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I might not be explaining the problem correctly, sorry ...

The static doesn't come from the amp directly, it is being recorded on to the audio track of my DAW and can be heard while monitoring the recording and during playback via my monitors or headphones. The amp is in my signal path however and I'm assuming that it is my trouble area since if I remove the amp and just plug the guitar into the audio interface and record a track, I do not have a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 am 
Roadie
Roadie

And your sure that it is not the cable with the 1/8" plug or an adapter jack on the cable?

Have you cleaned the plug ends with a contact cleaner such as DeoxIT (not WD 40)?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:53 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I got a similar noise when plugging the mustang through USB to the PC. In my case the reason is a ground loop (and or ground voltage leakage maybe) between the PC and the mustang.

If you are using a laptop, the easy fix is to unplug the laptop from the power adapter and run on batteries, and they noise is gone.

as time goes by I'm more and more convinced that the only computer worth using for a DAW is a MAC laptop, for this and other reasons.

EDIT: I have heard good things about laptopts running on linux but have no tried those myself

Last edited by jedi2b on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:55 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I don't think its the cable, because I'm using that during the direct line in scenario too, but I suppose it could be the 1/8th adapter. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:58 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

jedi2b wrote:
I got a similar noise when plugging the mustang through USB to the PC. In my case the reason is a ground loop (and or ground voltage leakage maybe) between the PC and the mustang.

If you are using a laptop, the easy fix is to unplug the laptop from the power adapter and run on batteries, and they noise is gone.

as time goes by I'm more and more convinced that the only computer worth using for a DAW is a MAC laptop, for this and other reasons.

If this is the reason I'll be SOL for awhile. Although I guess I could go the Pod Farm route. Thanks everyone for your ideas. I'll take a closer look at all of these.