It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Decisions, Decisions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:34 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'm new to this board but not new to Fender or Guitar playing. I have been playing off and on for over 30 years. Started trying to learn on my uncle's old Yamaha 6 string acoustic when I was 10.

I have never played out. I've never recorded. It's something I do for fun and relaxation. Although, I'm seriously thinking about asking to join the Church praise group.

I have owned everything from Jacksons, Charvels, LP Custom (junk) and Strats. I have owned a few Fender tube amps from the 60's - 70's, back when no one like them. I have also owned a Peavey Vypyr 75 (crashed all the time), Ampegs, Rolands and now have a VHT Special 6 Ultra.

I recently sold my only guitar, a Gretsch Corvette and I'm going to reinvest $600. I layed away a Squire VM Thinline Tele. Never owned a tele but this a thing of beauty to play and the tone was great! I got the tele for $225 after rebate.

The local dealer has a(no rebates included) Mustang III for $299, Mustang IV for $450, G-Dec3 15 for $200, Marshall Class 5 for $399 and just took delivery of a pair of Jaguar Modern Players for $399.

I'm like a kid in a candy store! I really like the Mustang III & IV but I'm afraid that they will have the same issues as the Peavey Vypyr 75 had. Solid State and kept crashing, popping etc. Plus after a while, all the SS modeling starts to sound the same. I like the G-DEC's backing tracks and looper. That's a lot of fun. But, Fender stopped making G-DECs. It's only a matter of time before all support ends on them.

The Class 5 is a nice little amp but I already have a nice tube amp.

Then I played that danged MP Jaguar in black. The action was near perfect. The finish was near perfect but when I played it through the Mustang III, on bridge only or neck only, the soapbar single coils hummed very badly. So, that sort of turned me off. I can't stand loud humming like that. Then I saw the reviews online for the Marauder!

What is Fender trying to do to me?!!!!

If only the Mustang Floor had a looper. I think that would seal the deal for me. I don't understand why they would leave that one feature out.

I haven't been this excited about a line of products from one company in 20 years! I could go for another guitar or a better amp to play in church or a Mustang floor and plug into the PA. I think I'm going to need counseling!

What's your thoughts!?

Chris

Post subject: Re: Decisions, Decisions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:09 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a slew of amps both tube and SS - just picked up a Mustang I for practice (I use headphones) and I'm in love with it. Mustangs are amazing! If I was still giggin' (my giggin' was in the 70's using a Marshall 100-watt Superlead full stack) I probably would have opted for a IV or V for the better and larger speakers but for me the I is all I needed. Can't stop playing the lil' bugger.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:28 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I would get a mustang floor instead of the mustang III or IV amps because then you will not have to worry about the fizz problem with the mustang amps,you can run the mustang floor into a stereo power amp and then into a 2x12 or 4x12 stereo cabinet or even into a P.A. system but i think a power amp into a 4x12 cab would sound very good with the mustang floor in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:39 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Strangedogs wrote:
I have a slew of amps both tube and SS - just picked up a Mustang I for practice (I use headphones) and I'm in love with it. Mustangs are amazing! If I was still giggin' (my giggin' was in the 70's using a Marshall 100-watt Superlead full stack) I probably would have opted for a IV or V for the better and larger speakers but for me the I is all I needed. Can't stop playing the lil' bugger.

I have a Mustang 1 too. It is my amp for getting lost in with headphones and the one I use for my recording, any time of day or night. The aux in is great too. For the money, I am very happy with it. I also have a Bronco and a Super Champ X2. Each one is a gem. The Fender line-up has something for every taste and wallet. Sometimes tastes exceed wallets, but that's a personal problem. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:56 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Quote:
Solid State and kept crashing, popping etc

I've never had that problem with my Mustang and have never seen anyone else report that sort of problem, so just because another amp once did that, don't let it put you off the Mustang.

Quote:
VHT Special 6 Ultra

I've read good reviews about that, I was contemplating getting one myself! If you already have that as a low-power valve/tube amp, then I'm not sure the Marshall Class 5 adds anything else? I'd agree with other suggestions to go with the Mustang Floor: you can use that with your current amp, and/or (as you suggest) connect it to a PA.

Quote:
If only the Mustang Floor had a looper

I suppose there's a limit to what Fender can (or want to) include at that price-point. You can get multi-fx units with built-in loopers. But they cost more, and the loopers are quite limited. If it were me, and a looper were important, I'd buy a separate dedicated looper that has longer recording times and more features than the wanna-be loopers within some multi-fx units.

Quote:
all the SS modeling starts to sound the same

I'd disagree, at least with the Mustang's modelling. Modelling technology is improving all the time, and many people say that Fender's latest offering in the Mustangs is a lot better than many other manufacturers' products. Although obviously I realise that what matters is what it sounds like to your ears, rather than anybody elses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Been playing since 1968, and I've had trailer fulls of gear that I've owned, horse traded, etc.

At the moment, I have three tube amps (Goldtone 30w-2x12, Deville 4x10 Marshall 60w combo with an 2x12 ext. cab.) hauling around a 60lb pedal train case around and 70~80lb tube amp gets old at my age.

so I picked up a mustang III thinking if it did what it was touted to do, I would only need the amp, the two foots witches, and a guitar for pickup gigs and jams. So picked an MIII up in May, it is exactly what I was looking for.

Loaded with tons of usable amp models and settings right out of the box, very easy to edit. I've had the Vox modelers, as well as some line 6 gear, the Mustang is by far the best at reproducing touch/pick attack dynamics, and just the entire interface is superior IMHO to anything I've tried recently

With the dual foot switches (2 and 4 button) you can just do just about everything you need from the floor pedals, even engage the tuner. It's the bomb...

my brother in-law has the G-Dec 30 -- to be honest with you, I don't like it.

I've let a few of my guitar buds try the MIII after which, they soon had one. Mine does not have this FIZZ people are noticing and I don't think my friends do it either.

so they don't all do it.

by the way, you can probably get them for 250 on line.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:47 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

KidBlast,

Thanks for your insight!

I'm going back and forth between the Floor and M3. I can get the M3 for $275.

I'd prefer to buy through the local store even if it's $25 more. I like them. They let me play anything I want for as long as I want and never give me grief. They are good people and have tried to earn my business.

They have an acoustic that I tried that really shocked me. Looking at it, I thought it couldn't be much at first glance. But it played and sounded great! A Fender Kingman. Although I do love Elvis.

What did you dislike about the G-Dec?

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:48 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I can't disagree with going with the store purchase, and they will usually match the online prices, but there's some draw backs,

limitations on returns is a probably the most glaring. If they only had "one" of what you bought, and it's screwed up, most places will have to reorder, they are usually reluctant to return the money.

Store credit is ok for something that cost ya 50 bucks, but if you lay out 300 dollars for an amp, and it's not working right, or you just get it home and hate it, well, you're now sort of screwed if they have no more in stock and there is nothing else you're at all interested in. Now you're left to arguing with them to get your money back, It's happened to me too many times, I understand their position I guess, but as a customer, see it as a negative.

Places like Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, etc, have very customer friendly return policies, within a week or two, it's a "no questions asked" policy full refund, hard to beat that.

The other issue is your always buying floor models, buy online the stuff is in the factory packaging. Just a nit for me, but something I consider often, who knows if it matters, but - it's a bit reassuring when you are opening a factory sealed box with some new gear contained inside.

But if you are comfy with these guys, and they have costumer friendly return policies, go for it.

about the G-DEC, my brother in-law brought it with him along with his 6 string electric when the family went to a wedding in North Carolina a few summers ago. so I spent some time with it, comparing to the mustangs, it's not even in the same ball park.

IME, I found a lack of usable presets and the editing capabilities are very limited. It did have a few usable sounds, but comparing it to the mustangs, it's not even in the same ball park. The technology leap frog in the Mustang from the G-DEC is significant.

So good luck with this, let us know how it works out.

/KB (Ray)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:39 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Do you ever play with a looper? I was thinking about being able to play with backing tracks like the G-DEC offers but I don't want another small, cheesey amp.

I was hoping that the Mustang Floor would have that capability but doesn't.

Anyone use an Boss RC-3? Or use a Mustang Floor with RC-3? Does the Mustang Floor have stereo out?

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:38 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I think you're on the right track with an external lopper.

as for the outputs. It appears to have both balanced and unbalanced stereo out.
see owners manaul @This link

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guita ... _rev-B.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:09 pm 
Fender Staff

Hi robinsoncr,

We will be happy to assist. It seems like you are getting great advice by other Forum members. Thanks for the feedback regarding features, we will make sure it gets passed along to the right people here at Fender. Please let us know if we can assist further.

480-596-7195

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:50 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Fender Staff, I do have one question. It's regarding all this discussion of the "Hiss". What's Fender's stand on this well documented issue.

If I try out an amp and hear a slight hiss and make a determination that it's acceptable. That's one thing. What is scaring me is that it is reported to worsen over time and that if its discovered after the initial phase of the warranty, there is no recourse.

What say you?

thanks,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:50 am 
Fender Staff

Hi robinsoncr,

I understand where you are coming from. My best suggestion would be to take your time. Be sure to fully audition the amp that you are looking at purchasing, regardless of which one that ends up being. Thanks.

480-596-7195

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:15 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Hi Fender-staff

I noticed you did not answer the question, let me reiterate it for clarity

"...it is reported to worsen over time and that if its discovered after the initial phase of the warranty, there is no recourse.
What say you?"

Can you please confirm or rebuke the fact that audio quality of the Fender 3-4-5 amps degrades over time? Can you provide some specifics?

Please let me state the obvious in that not answering the question is the worst possible answer you can provide in this case...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:33 pm 
Fender Staff

Hi jedi2b,

We understand your frustration here. And we are not trying to be evasive. The previous response is our best advice in this case. We apologize that we cannot offer additional information regarding this for you.

Regards,

480-596-7195