It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Recording with Mustang, Ableton Live & AmpliTube
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:58 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I've had my Mustang I for just about a year, and during this time I was moving and didn't have my primary PC where I could install the Ableton Live Lite 8 Fender Edition recording software. Yesterday I finally had time (and found the Mustang DVD) to install the program and now want to share some tips with future users.

First thing is that Live has two views, Arrangement View & Session View (SV), it's in Arrangement View (AV) where you first want to start to record. In AV you can also view the browsers that list effects and plug-ins.

I always start off with a drum pattern, Live has quite a few drums patterns, here I chose 'Kit - Largen' in AV, Image

But I found that you have to be in SV to select all the elements of the drums to be played Image. I 'dragged' the drum loop to make a 3 min recording.

Next I recorded a simple rhythm guitar vamp using AmpliTube Fender LE plug-in Image

I want to note that I used a Cakewalk UA-4FC USB external audio capture device, I have the UA-4FC selected in the hardware config as the audio-in/out. I also want to note that the you must arm the track (by pressing the icon, see pic) in order to hear what you're playing.

Next I recorded a bass track using my Fender Squier P-Bass and a bass effect plug-in Live

I want to note that you must drag any plug-in or effects into the Audio Effects at the bottom of the recording grid.

Next I recorded a lead guitar using my Mustang, here you have to select the Mustang as the audio input, and in my case, the UA-4FX as the audio output.

You must also have to select Fender ASIO as the audio device. But, I found that the Mustang's input levels were really low. I had to lower the track volumes on the other track in order to hear the Mustang. If someone has a answer about this, please post here.

Next I added a couple of synth tracks using my Axiom 25 USB keyboard MIDI controller. At first I have Live open, and it didn't 'see' my Axiom 25 as a source. I finally remembered that even using Reaper, that I had to have the Axiom connected, and turned on first, than open the DAW software.

After I did this Live 'saw' the Axiom as a external device, and I was able to play the soft-synths plug-ins Image.

I may later render the tracks, and upload later, but this was mainly a test, and to learn Live. I hope this post helps someone to record.

Post subject: Re: Recording with Mustang, Ableton Live & AmpliTube
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:41 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

This is great Tony..Just yesterday ,I too started to mess with Ableton after owning my amp for nearly a year now and am learning how this works.Thanks for sharing.It is not exactly the easiest program to use.

2000 Fender American Series Strat - Natural ash
2010 Fender Mustang 1
2011 Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster -Sunburst
2012 Fender Champion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:30 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

Tony,

This is good stuff. I've been meaning to try out the Ableton software for a while now (but too comfortable with existing tools to make the effort). This sort of simplified recipe makes it sound a lot less daunting; should be a great reference starting point.

Tony wrote:
You must also have to select Fender ASIO as the audio device. But, I found that the Mustang's input levels were really low. I had to lower the track volumes on the other track in order to hear the Mustang. If someone has a answer about this, please post here.

Does this help (from Loren's firmware v1.8 announcement):

Loren wrote:
[...]
This version includes many enhancements and bug fixes including:

Added USB Gain Control feature (hold EXIT and turn the Volume knob to adjust USB output gain)
[...]

PITA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:24 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Isn't ableton such a great program?I did all my recording in it and it turned out great!One of the best things is that anything in a wav, or MP3 for mat can be loaded into the set as a track.

"The one with more guitars wins"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:51 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Quote:
Does this help (from Loren's firmware v1.8 announcement):

Ahh, I had just connected my Mustang to my PC, and the firmware update window opened, so now I have the update with the USB gain. I'm going to re-record the lead guitar and upload the track later.

Quote:
Isn't ableton such a great program?

I don't know, I didn't find it too intuitive, I had to RTFM. I usually use Reaper http://www.reaper.fm/ for PC recording. I only had to look up on how to config my Axiom 25 once I started using Reaper. But, using Reaper helped me to understand Ableton Live's setup.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:12 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Wow, the USB gain works! I went ahead and rendered the tracks and uploaded to Soundclick, mind you, this was just a test recording http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11140099

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:02 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I started another test recording with Ableton Live, the more you record with any DAW, the faster you learn.

I'm learning now that with Live Lite, that software always starts with a new 'Live Set', not with the previous recording session, so you have to remember into what folder the sessions are saved.

Also with Live Lite, you're limited to six effects, and Lite doesn't doesn't scan all the VST plug-ins, only to one folder that you 'point' it to in the 'user options'. I found this because Fender Amplitube wouldn't load after I had scanned my soft-synth plug-ins for the Axiom 25. This caused the rhythm guitar track not to render, because Amplitube wasn't in the effects chain.

Also, I wish that AmpliTube would have included at least one bass rig model in the Lite version, along with the three amp plug-ins.

Again, make sure that you have your 'in & out' routing configured correctly, and that you 'arm' a track to hear what you're playing.

Also I noticed that the Mustang's USB line-in gain will change if/when you select another amp preset, so keep this in mind when recording.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:10 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Why not just use a bass amp MICD?How did you get Amplitube to be a plug in????I still can't figure that out.step by step instructions please. :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:35 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Quote:
Why not just use a bass amp MICD

Because I don't own a bass amp :roll: On this track http://youtu.be/KiInjhN-VY4 I used my Squire P-Bass and COSOM bass amp sim in my BR-800.

The full version of Fender AmpliTube has quite a few bass amp models, and I was surprised that Fender LE didn't have at least one bass model.

Quote:
How did you get Amplitube to be a plug in????I still can't figure that out.step by step instructions please.

When I first installed Live and started the DAW, it did a automatic scan for VST plug-ins and didn't 'see' AmpliTube. I went to 'Options (in the menu bar), and selected 'Preferences', select 'File Folder' and select 'Plug-in Sources' and direct to folder where the plug-in is located.

In this screenshot, I have another folder selected, the reason being, that when I tried to open AmpliTube as a plug-in in a new project, this time Live wouldn't open/see it!

I just sent a email to IK tech support to see if they know a reason why, but must point out that Reaper 'sees' AmpliTube

Now this makes me think that that the problem is with Live, not AmpliTube.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:23 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Ok, I just read that Live amy have a problem with some IK plug-ins http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25171. I submitted a crash report to IK & Live techs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:14 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

As you can see in the screenshot, I solved the problem with AmpliTube.

By default, the VST files were filed in the Steinberg folder under 'Programs' on a PC.

Steinberg's Virtual Studio Technology (VST) is an interface for integrating software audio synthesizer and effect plugins with audio editors and hard-disk recording systems. The technology can be licensed from its creator, Steinberg http://www.steinberg.net/en/home.html.

After remembering about Steinberg, I went to the Steinburg folder and the .dll files for AmpliTube Fender LE & AmpliTube 3 Free were in the program folder.

Live will only scan one custom folder for VST plug-ins, I already had a plug-in folder for my soft-synth plug-ins, so I copied and pasted the two AmpliTube .dll files to that folder.

I than started Live, and the two plug-ins were added to third-party plug-in browser in Live.

Again, to use the AmpliTube or any plug-in, you have to drag the plug-in's icon into the Audio browser of Live, which is located at the bottom of the track view, again see screenshot. Also, you must 'Arm' the track to hear the plug-in, like I showed in a previous post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:31 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

thouston wrote:
As you can see in the screenshot, I solved the problem with AmpliTube.

By default, the VST files were filed in the Steinberg folder under 'Programs' on a PC.

Steinberg's Virtual Studio Technology (VST) is an interface for integrating software audio synthesizer and effect plugins with audio editors and hard-disk recording systems. The technology can be licensed from its creator, Steinberg http://www.steinberg.net/en/home.html.

After remembering about Steinberg, I went to the Steinburg folder and the .dll files for AmpliTube Fender LE & AmpliTube 3 Free were in the program folder.

Live will only scan one custom folder for VST plug-ins, I already had a plug-in folder for my soft-synth plug-ins, so I copied and pasted the two AmpliTube .dll files to that folder.

I than started Live, and the two plug-ins were added to third-party plug-in browser in Live.

Again, to use the AmpliTube or any plug-in, you have to drag the plug-in's icon into the Audio browser of Live, which is located at the bottom of the track view, again see screenshot. Also, you must 'Arm' the track to hear the plug-in, like I showed in a previous post.

Tony,
Thank you man.You are a wealth of knowledge and really helped me with some unanswered questions I had with Ableton.

2000 Fender American Series Strat - Natural ash
2010 Fender Mustang 1
2011 Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster -Sunburst
2012 Fender Champion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:24 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Witch folder do I have to copy and paste?and to what folder,Stpep by step instructions if you can please. :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:49 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Quote:
Witch folder do I have to copy and paste?and to what folder,Stpep by step instructions if you can please.

I already explained that in the previous post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:20 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I cannot find the .dll file.