It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Mustang III speaker change
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:03 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Any thoughts on changing out the MIII speaker with an Eminence Cannabis Rex? The primary issue would be the Mustang III is a 100W amp whereas the Cannabis Rex is only rated at 50W. I realize this is an obvious mismatch but what would it really take to have an issue and smoke the speaker? There was no pun intended.

A. Mc.

Post subject: Re: Mustang III speaker change
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:20 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

First, a 50w speaker is woefully inadequate & will likely blow as soon as you crank the amp - and you could even damage your amp. You might get away with a Celestion 75-80w speaker as Celestions are very conservatively rated....but not a 50w speaker (not even a Celestion).

Second, the stock 97dB Celestion G12T 100 is I decent speaker with good bass response that I would honestly leave in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:35 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Well I was just hoping cause I like the sound of the CR speaker...and I like to tinker. I bought my MIII second hand and don't have any warranty so that's not an issue. Thanks for saving me from myself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:44 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The Tonkerlite is the one that folks at Eminence recommend for a replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:01 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've run both a Cannabis Rex and a Governor in my III without any issues - IMHO, the Cannabis Rex is a fantastic speaker for the Mustang (I run a pair in Stereo with my Mustang V too). I typically don't run the volume much above 4 (never above 5), so I doubt there is any chance of blowing it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:21 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

tkdunn17 wrote:
I've run both a Cannabis Rex and a Governor in my III without any issues - IMHO, the Cannabis Rex is a fantastic speaker for the Mustang (I run a pair in Stereo with my Mustang V too). I typically don't run the volume much above 4 (never above 5), so I doubt there is any chance of blowing it.

Well that's what I was initially thinking...I just play in a bedroom size space. On the other hand the Tonkerlite sounds pretty good and will handle the power if I get out of control. It would be nice if they built a 100W version of the Cannabis Rex.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:29 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Quote:
It would be nice if they built a 100W version of the Cannabis Rex.

I've thought the same thing. I wonder if it has something to do with the hemp cones? I haven't seen a hemp cone speaker by any manufacturer rated for more than 50 watts... I know the tonetubbies are rated even lower that that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:44 am 
Amateur
Amateur

I swapped the stock speaker several months ago with a Cannabis Rex and have had no issues. In fact, I've had it fully cranked most of the time. Sounds super sweet. Plenty of volume for me for playing in the house.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:50 am 
Roadie
Roadie

Bluesbreaker1960 wrote:
I swapped the stock speaker several months ago with a Cannabis Rex and have had no issues. In fact, I've had it fully cranked most of the time. Sounds super sweet. Plenty of volume for me for playing in the house.

Quote:
(from the Eminence site: THE CANNABIS REX IS AN EMINENCE 12" GUITAR SPEAKER THAT HANDLES 50 WATTS RMS & 100 WATTS PEAK

Hmm - makes me wonder how 'robust' the MIII's 100w rating is then - because in theory a 100w amp fully cranked should blow the cone! :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:57 am 
Roadie
Roadie

@Bluesbreaker1960 - how is it going with the Cannabis Rex? Still OK after almost a year? Any wanted break-up at high volumes or would I be OK with it in my Mustang III? Thanks!

Bluesbreaker1960 wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:52 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

The original Celestion in mine is nice and broken in and the amp models and speaker cab models are designed with that speaker in mind. With all the available cab models and and other tone modification can't imagine why one would change it but to each his own.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:14 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

If you're worried, you can just get a 2x12 Avatar speaker cabinet and put 2x Cannabis Rex in there. Then you add a speaker out jack to the back of your M3, since you're not worried about voiding a warranty. 100-watts handling power, a larger cabinet with two speakers. Sounds pretty epic to me.

Marshall Lead 12 3005 MS
Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Gibson SG Faded Special
Fender American Special Stratocaster
Hagstrom Ultra-Swede
Custom Warmoth Strat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:23 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

anyone want to swap a Tonker for a Cannabis Rex?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:33 am 
Amateur
Amateur

The Mustang III is Solid State. This may be why you don't blow a speaker when cranked. I do believe tube power is much different than solid state... Correct me if I am wrong.

TJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:18 am 
Roadie
Roadie

tjnugent wrote:
The Mustang III is Solid State. This may be why you don't blow a speaker when cranked. I do believe tube power is much different than solid state... Correct me if I am wrong.
a watt is a watt is a watt, tube amps are perceived to be louder only because of speaker efficiency, a tube amp generally costs more and uses higher quality more efficient speakers, there is no difference between watts produced by tubes or by solid state amps, it comes down to speaker efficiency, you could have a 100 watt amp with really inefficient speakers and it would not seem very loud, you could have a 15 watt amp with super efficient speakers and it will rock your face off, it's all about speaker efficiency