It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Mustang Amps vs. Tube Amps vs. VG-99
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:29 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have an Egnater 2X12 cab ready to load and was looking at getting a new 2 channel Egnater Tweaker 40 to throw on top down the road. However, I've debated on selling the cab and just going all modeling vs. save up and wait to load it with some Scumback speakers and get a few cool pedals like the Eventide TimeFactor etc.

Since I'm new to amps (all I've used is modeling with my VG-99) I was wondering for "those in the know" what you thought about a great tube amp vs. the Mustangs. Do you notice an audible difference between tube & modeling or is it more of the "Feel" factor?

I also thought about keeping the cab... throw in some Scumbacks... getting the Mustang V head... and then later get the Tweaker 40 (choices eh?) :lol:

Thanks!

SEA

Post subject: Re: Mustang Amps vs. Tube Amps vs. VG-99
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:28 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Please do check this post on the Mustang V heads, dual output (stereo) channel speaker requirements
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=54868

Connecting a single output channel cab to it, like the Egnater would require is not recommended.

It would be possible to wire the cab with 2 x 8ohm speakers, each with its own input jack for the Mustang.
Then rewire it into a 4ohm single channel cab for the Egnater when you get it.

You may get a lot of one sided responses to this question there are many zelots who only believe one type of amp is the correct one to use :)
I use tube (guitar), solid-state (bass) and modeling (fun!) amps, all have their place.and uses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:33 am 
Amateur
Amateur

Given the choice, I'd take a good tube amp over the Mustang. Obviously, it's all personal preference, but that's mine.

Some considerations, though, are price and volume. Obviously the Tweaker 40 is going to run quite a bit more than the Mustang. And I'm not sure how they sound at low volume. Many tube amps need to be pretty loud before they really sound good. I have a Marshall JVM that sounds really great at bedroom volumes...and even lower. But it was the first tube amp I found that did. My previous amp was Mesa F50...the thing could sound great, but definitely too loud for the basement! It didn't have to be fully cranked, but still too loud! So, at bedroom volumes, the Mustang would be a better choice than the F50, at least in my opinion.

I think your idea of getting a Mustang head now and getting a tube head later makes good sense...the Mustang isn't all that pricey, and will give you a great range of good tones until you get the tube amp.

One note...while I've heard good things about Scumback speakers, they are pretty pricey! You might also check out Warehouse Guitar Speakers...they're priced great and are getting some great reviews! I have their ET-65 and it's a great speaker, and I'm likely to get a couple of their Reaper 55s here before too much longer.

And I agree with peterp...there is a "fun" aspect to modelling amps, and that's kind of what the Mustang is to me...something to play around with late at night when the fam is in bed!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:52 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks guys for your replies!

Currently I'm just writing and recording in my home studio. Volume isn't too much of an issue... just like to get a good sound on tracks.

For that I hear modeling is a good way to go, but for live many like tube amps.

One day I'd like to get an AXE FX Ultra for live and studio (but that's $$$ down the road) :mrgreen:

Last edited by sea on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:08 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Yes that is exactly what I have found the mustang to work well with, it seems to record well and is great for late night practice.

Although it doesn't seem to want to get along with my Boss RC-20xl looper :(

sea wrote:
Currently I'm just writing and recording in my home studio. Volume isn't too much of an issue... just like to get a good sound on tracks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:46 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

peterp wrote:
Yes that is exactly what I have found the mustang to work well with, it seems to record well and is great for late night practice.

How do you record? Out of the USB?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:45 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a Dec 1964 Fender Princeton Reverb here and my MIII replicates it so close i doubt you could tell the difference. I also have a 1987 red knob twin here that i can replicate with my MIII.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:51 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

rolling56 wrote:
I have a Dec 1964 Fender Princeton Reverb here and my MIII replicates it so close i doubt you could tell the difference. I also have a 1987 red knob twin here that i can replicate with my MIII.

SWEET! :mrgreen:

I'm looking at getting a Mustang I but would really like to get a Mustang III. I saw a demo version for $229 and WISH I had grabbed it.

However, since I am only working in the studio with the unit (and practicing from room to room) the Mustang I should be sufficient for starters :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:52 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've owned (among others) a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Jr, Peavey Classic, Vox VT50 and 90's Marshal combo. My Mustang III is by far my favorite amp. The others had good sounds but were one (or two) trick ponies and/or needed to be way too loud before they sounded good. The Mustang sounds great at any volume and is way more versatile than any other amp I've owned. It has replaced my Boss GT10 and Line6 HD500 for my live gig. I've never been this happy with my live sound! YMMV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:48 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

vintagevibe wrote:
I've owned (among others) a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Jr, Peavey Classic, Vox VT50 and 90's Marshal combo. My Mustang III is by far my favorite amp. The others had good sounds but were one (or two) trick ponies and/or needed to be way too loud before they sounded good. The Mustang sounds great at any volume and is way more versatile than any other amp I've owned. It has replaced my Boss GT10 and Line6 HD500 for my live gig. I've never been this happy with my live sound! YMMV

ya i don't even get my Princeton Reverb out of the roadcase anymore and the Twin stays covered up most of the time while i play my MIII ......... also YMMV

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:19 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

peterp wrote:

Although it doesn't seem to want to get along with my Boss RC-20xl looper :(

sea wrote:

Sorry, I know this is old... but what are the problems with the looper? I haven't bought any pedals since I've had my mustang, but I wondered... do you use it between the guitar and amp, or in the effects loop? From what I've read that seems to be basically a sampler that will loop the samples, so I wondered what types of issues the amp could cause with a device like that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:08 am 
Amateur
Amateur

If you ask me i am all the way for the economic solution.

I''m ok with the fact that a mustang is not a "perfect" tube amp replacement, but the gap is really too small to legitimate the huge money expenses.

On the other side the mustang is well capable of getting out a range of tones (different amp) that you cannot get with a single valve head. With i valve head you are stuck with the tone that the head was bulid for...

---------------------

You can find all my Mustang tips here:
http://ridingthemustang.blogspot.it/
An Unofficial guide to Fender Mustang Effects here:
http://ridingthemustang.blogspot.it/p/unoffcial-guide-to-fender-mustang.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:31 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I think for someone who doesn't know what they want or what sound they would like to achieve, then a modelling amp like the Mustang series is the way to go, as it will hopefully give you all the options and tools you need to find that sound of your own. And if you intend to be in a cover band then the Mustang is very versitile and gets you those song sounds you would require.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:24 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

For those trying to decide between a good quality modelling amp (i.e. Mustang) and pick-your-flavor of tube amp, I have found there are 3 factors to consider:

-the practical aspect: you are new to guitar playing, or even better you are NOT new but you want to experiment new things. Would you like to, turning a knob go from a jazz ultrawarm tone to a zombie-apealing death metal tone? and all that without having to fiddle with tons of pedals and equipment. Or what about going around with your "rig" carrying all you need in one hand, weighing less than 40 pounds? In other words would you like to spend more time playing or building lego-like rigs? if you are here to play guitar, maybe the Mustang is the best choice.

-the cost and resale value aspect: with a tube amp you get an expensive (or VERY expensive) piece of equipment with technology dating back to the 1940's, fragile, costly to maintain and with a good reselling value. With a Mustang you get an inexpensive solution that you will use until you decide to trow it away, probably 5-10 years from now. Oh, and with the Mustangs you will not hear ever again your wife complaining that you need yet ANOTHER pedal for that damn guitar.

-the glamour aspect: lets' say you have long fingernails, you want to cut them short, you have the option of buying a diamond incrusted fingernail clipper vs a deluxe swiss army knife. If you would ratter have the deluxe swiss army knife, get yourself a Mustang!

Then of course to finish this all, you get the feel/touch/mojo/vibe tone factor, or whatever you want to call it. This is a very interesting comparison somebody did recording with a Mustang and with a Fender Deluxe amp, then asked people to recognize which recording was made with which amp...

-A/B comparisson of Mustang (300$) with Deluxe reverb reissue amp (1050$)
-same sound clip recorded on the two amps, you have to decide which one is the real deluxe
-52% says the real deluxe is the clip A
-47% says the real deluxe is the clip B

I will let you judge how real the tube tone is on the Mustangs :)

this is the link to the poll
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... 2-DR-model

BTW most people identified the recording made with the Mustang as the one made with a "real tube amp"! LOL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:32 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Quote:
what are the problems with the looper? do you use it between the guitar and amp, or in the effects loop?

I'm not aware of any problems with loopers. You would normally put a looper in the amp's fx loop. If you have a Mustang V2, be aware of the fx loop position, you may want to ensure all presets you're using with the looper have the same cab simulation. Other topics discuss this in more detail so I won't repeat here.