It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Mustang III and Recording With Garageband
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:53 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'm trying to record through Garageband by plugging my USB cable from amp (Musatang III) to computer. Garageband recognizes the amp under input source, monitor is set for "on" but "recording level" cannot be adjusted, and the "automatic level control" box cannot be checked.

I get no sound for my guitar track. What am I doing wrong?

Post subject: Re: Mustang III and Recording With Garageband
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:06 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Interested to know as well. Have a III & like it enough to get a I as a deskside unit.

I'm hoping it'll sound as good in Reaper as it does coming out of the amp.

If it does - Oh Happy Day

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:27 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Rob J wrote:
I'm trying to record through Garageband by plugging my USB cable from amp (Musatang III) to computer. Garageband recognizes the amp under input source, monitor is set for "on" but "recording level" cannot be adjusted, and the "automatic level control" box cannot be checked.

I get no sound for my guitar track. What am I doing wrong?

I'm having the same issue here as well. Any info on how to actually record something useful would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:38 pm 
Fender Staff

Hey Guys,

There is no input level control but you can adjust the track volume. Since you're making a digital (amp) to digital (computer) connection, there shouldn't be much signal loss or noise due to raising the volume.

480-596-7195

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:55 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Loren Howard - Fender wrote:
There is no input level control but you can adjust the track volume. Since you're making a digital (amp) to digital (computer) connection, there shouldn't be much signal loss or noise due to raising the volume.
I record in GarageBand with my Mustang II - a couple of tricks I use to get around the input control limitations is enable compression on my guitar tracks (for a bit of a boost) and then check "AutoNormalize" under "Advanced Preferences" when exporting out to iTunes. If you balance everything with the guitar, this setting will make sure the overall mix is boosted to have the peaks (loudest bits) come right in a 0db. Works very well for me.

Loren is right - with the digital to digital link, it's a very quiet connection and you can boost the track volume with a minimum of noise. I used to use the built in amps in GarageBand, but I really like the Mustang tones better - and the stereo tracking is a huge plus!

With all that said, I'd love to be able to adjust the recording level straightaway... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

hmm… is there a way to boost the output volume from the amp over USB? I'm finding that even with the volume knob on the amp (G-Dec 3) up all the way, (I have headphones plugged in so it's not deafening), and the track volume maxed in Garageband, it's still a pretty low output in the recording. Is it just an issue with GB?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:44 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Is there any word from Fender on whether this is a Mustang III or GarageBand issue?

Even with the new firmware update I still have virtually no volume.

I can bypass the Mustang and go directly into GarageBand with m-audio or duet but prefer not to spend the extra money if I can go from the Mustang III through the USB to GarageBand.

Any undated info since February 2011?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:12 am 
Fender Staff

Hey wlloydw,

If you're getting no volume at all, there is most likely a problem. If you're getting low volume, you can raise the volume in your DAW as mentioned previously.

480-596-7195

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:22 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I am getting extremely low volume. What is DAW?

I don't find DAW mentioned earlier?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:27 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I found this from the GarageBand side of the issue:

Quote:
Q. Why is the volume slider in Track Info, the Create Track dialogs, and/or Guitar Tracks disabled?
A. Some devices support software control of their volume, others don’t ... the one you're using doesn't. If the slider is dimmed the device should have some kind of controls on the device itself, or possibly some software of its own to control its volume (like the PreSonus Inspire).

IOW, don't ... panic! This is normal, and it does not affect the recording volume. If it is disabled, it's because it can't affect anything. Use the controls on your interface.

Additionally, some people have mistakenly thought that this controls the Monitor level. Again, if it is disabled it doesn't affect anything.

Seems there must be a control on the amp to increase the volume because raising the track level does almost nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:43 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

As I showed in the earlier quote, GarageBand DAW software volume control is being overridden by Mustang amp.

It seems to me the Mustang III is really made to use with Fender's FUSE software only.

FUSE is a stand-alone app. Which really makes no sense as there is no viable reason I can think of to not allow GarageBand to have software control.

It should be able to work stand-alone and as a plug-in so one can control the sim inside the daw...including level.

Since this is a consumer amp and Garageband is one of the largest consumer DAW's in the marketplace, why is the amp marketed to work well with my Mac through the USB connection, if it only works well with the FUSE software?

Can someone from Fender please explain why the amp overrides Garageband's DAW volume control?

This would be a valuable firmware upgrade...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:57 am 
Fender Staff

Hey wlloydw,

It appears there is a bit of confusion. The amp will work on any computer, Mac or PC, with any software that supports ASIO on Windows or Core Audio on Mac OS X. There are plenty of users that are using their amp with Garageband. I use mine at home with Logic all the time.

The Garageband volume control does not interfere with the amps volume control and vice versa. These are two independent gain stages. Furthermore, FUSE is simply a preset editor/librarian for the amp. It has no sound of it's own, nor does it ever pass any audio signal to the amp. This is why you can't use it as a plug in, it has no sound.

We have heard reports from users that would like a "hotter" signal to be sent from the amp through USB to the computer. That's something we've considered adding.

480-596-7195

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:16 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you Loren,

A hotter signal would be great. would that be a firmware upgrade?

What setting are those using Garageband using. Loren, how high is your volume on the amp when you send it to Logic?

Letting the software control the recording level would be even better. It is my understanding from Apple that some hardware support software control of the volume. Can that be changed in the firmware also. Because the only way I can control Recording volume input is having the volume control on the amp at 10. Then I get a signal at about 1/3 strength. The then have to reduce the backing track and other instruments compensate.

That should not be necessary.

I was given the impression that it would work normally with Garageband not at a 66% reduction. I hope this is a easy firmware fix. I am surprised that it has not been resolved sooner since this post started in January 2011.

I love the amp. It is great for modeling, I just wish it worked with Garageband better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:31 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi,
I've the same issue using the G-DEC 3. I like the amp but this is annoying. I was searching what I'm doing wrong now since hours. Would be great if you would let the core audio have access to input level.
For me the other ways to get it working are only work arounds... Is there a release date you can give when the software for Mustang and G-DEC 3 can be fixed?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:15 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hiy guys,
I'm a very new user and just been fiddling with options having had the exact problem as above.
May seem obvious, you may have already tried this but as the mustang 3 is quite loud i've had the volume on my amp really low (as may many of you).
What boosted the signal for me was turning the volume right up, but compensating by turning the master vol down low enough to be manageable in my room.

The master vol has no effect on the signal in GarageBand but the amp model volume will boost your signal.

Worth a try, worked for me anyway :D

edit: New issue, logic won't recognise my mustang. Any advice?