It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Can I connect a Subwoofer to my Passport 250
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:44 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'm looking to add more bass when I do outdoor movies or mixing music for outside events. It looks like the Passport 250 doesn't have a sub out connection. Can I use one of the monitor out 1/4 connections for this? I'm thinking that the subout on the 300 and 500 series filters the signal and passes this filtered signal to the subwoofer, but i'm not really sure how this works.

I don't want to upgrade to the 300 or 500 if I can avoid it.

Post subject: Re: Can I connect a Subwoofer to my Passport 250
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:05 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

The Sub Out port for the 300 or 500 does two things:

1: It sends only low frequency sound to the port. A powered sub-woofer receiving this signal receives only low bass notes. Many powered sub-woofers expect to receive the whole signal to pass through and have internal filters to play only the low notes, but none of this matters because the Passport has already filtered out all the high notes from the signal.

2: It removes these lower frequencies from the signal going to its own regular speakers. Since low frequency sound consumes more wattage than higher frequency sounds, this means that the wattage of the a Passport makes those speakers louder than usual when you plug in the sub-woofer.

This is called "bi-amping". One amp plays only low notes. The other amp plays only high notes. It's an efficient way to run a PA system.

Since your smaller Passport doesn't have a sub-out port, it doesn't bi-amp. You can boost the bass as you suggest, but that won't remove the load of those bass notes from the regular speakers, so the treble sounds won't get louder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:33 am 
Roadie
Roadie

I apologize for not thinking of this earlier. Answering another post on a similar topic, I was reminded of stuff I didn't think about when I wrote earlier.

If instead of using the mixer in your Passport 250, you got a small, external line-level mixer, and if your Sub-woofer has pass-through ports (like mine does), you could mix your channels on the external mixer, run both lines to the powered sub-woofer, control the crossover frequency from the subwoofer, then connect the "Thru" port or ports from the sub-woofer into the Passport.

The Subwoofer would take care of the crossover splitting of the frequencies. Your Passport would get louder because it's spared the electrical load of playing the low bass notes, and the subwoofer would give you the thump you can't get from your Passport.

This does assume that your powered sub-woofer has a built-in crossover and pass-through ports. Most do, because most powered subwoofers are used in combination with powered speakers. Your powered mixer, built-in to your Passport, combined with its speakers effectively become powered speakers (the power being in the mixer, not the speakers).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:37 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the response. I'll price out the mixer and sub and see if it makes sense to do that or just buy the passport 300 which will allow me to add a sub and keep the setup simple and clean.