It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: SOUND OFF! Your Favorite Rumble Tone & Overdrive Settings
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:31 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

8) :arrow: OK Now. I hope we have enough Rumble bass amp owners to garner some lively participation. :wink:

My owner's manual for the Rumble 75 didn't include any suggested tone settings, but I found that the 150/350 manual did. They're on page 8 and you can download the pdf here:

http://support.fender.com/manuals/bass_amplifiers/Rumble_150_350_OwnersManual_rev-A.pdf

These look to be some interesting tone maps, whether starting points, or destinations.

No matter what Rumble amp you may have, if you :arrow: have a favorite :idea: tone setting (or more), please be kind enough to share it (them) with us. 8)

2012 Rumble 75 Combo - Modified
2013 Rumble 350 + 112 x2
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Post subject: Re: SOUND OFF! Your Favorite Rumble Tone & Overdrive Setting
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:57 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I thought starting with what Fender calls "MAX GRIND" would be fun. :lol:
The Overdrive is totally 'ON'! Gain is dimed (10) & Blend is about 80% :o
Bass & Treble are both boosted about +10db. This was shown on a Rumble 350 front end and the mids were boosted about +8db around the 1KHz frequency

I matched that on my 75 as best I could and just as you might think this is an EXTREME setting with full on distortion and loud! :twisted:

For our more inexperienced bassists this is pretty damned close to 'diming an amp' {turning up every control to '10'} If our controls went to 11 we would be 'Spinal Tapping' :wink: This is a really good way to blow your amp up, so keep your volume under control, or be prepared to be labled an 'axe murderer'.

Max Grinds' next door tone neighbor is named "FUZZY GARAGE". Fuzzy is a bit less extreme in that the overdrive is more of a smooth fuzztone with Drive at 7 & Blend at 50%. The PUNCH shape button is engaged. Mids boosted around the 800Hz freq. Bass +5db Treble +10db. I like this one. Played clean it is plenty punchy. Hit the 'O' (overdrive) and away you go back into the mid 1960's & early '70's. Pretty Heavy $@!& Man! :mrgreen:

2013 Rumble 350 + 112 x2
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:47 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Ahhhhhhhhhh! I love my morning bass workouts. I don't lose any weight, but my heart & soul sure feel better.

I play mostly with my fingers. I'm a plucker much more than a picker. My '76 Precision {lefty: white neck} is my main axe, and I keep it strung in Thomastik-Infeld flats for a classic rock sound. Sounds GREAT :!:

I've been tweaking on my Rumble 75 to find that perfect (to my ears) classic P-bass sound. The Rumbles have a ton of top end and the treble control is voiced at 10 kHz. That's way too high for me, and I've found it best to just leave it alone and keep it flat. When I back it off it sounds a little too constrained/muffled. Leave it alone. Let it breathe.

The Bass control is voiced at 80 Hz and I like it boosted about +5db which is to the second line or mark on the + side.

The mid-range is where a lot bass tonal action occurs. Both mid-range controls are + or - 12db vs 15db for the treble & bass controls.
The Low Mids are voiced at 400 Hz. This is a critical tone zone crucial to the sound I want. I like it boosted about +4db, or to the second line or mark.
The High Mids are voiced at 1.2 kHz. This is where a lot of finger noise and fret buzz live. I cut them back modestly by -4db.

This tone setting is very good all on it's own. At half volume it is: clean & clear; with a very punchy meaty attack that is both full ranging and round.

For Fatness (or phattness :roll: ) just engage the 'Scoop' shape button. It's MAGIC :!: It gives you a very minor, but nice +2db boost at 125 Hz. There is a very drastic cut of -13db at 650 Hz. which is pretty much dead center between the Low-Mids {400 Hz} and the High Mids {1.2 kHz} This is where a lot of the very nasty nasal honkiness resides, and a good area to cut. Then there is a seemingly minor boost of +2.5db 8 Khz. This is the right place to boost the highs. Fender's Sonic Engineers deserve a medal for this one button alone. Yes, it's that good. :D

I've almost always played Fender Bassman tube amps from the '70's, and I do miss that sound. No, I do not want to spend $1,500 to $2,000. for a new all tube Fender Bassman (but I do love them!) Cue the dramatic imperial trumpets :arrow: Enter the Oh-So-Sexy Rumble Overdrive :!: HUZZAH! Set Drive at 2 or 3. Blend at 25-30% and Baby you've got instant thickness and warmth, and a nice tuby vibe. Yes. :mrgreen: It's Rumblelicious!

It's Fenderfication At It's Finest To Be Precise

2013 Rumble 350 + 112 x2

Last edited by linnin on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:55 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

PUNCHFEST!

Quest for the cleanest & punchiest tone settings. Deep without any boominess. Solid & Meaty Mids you could slice with a Buck knife. Just the right amount of highs without string or finger noise.

You would think "Oh that's easy, just engage the 'Punch' shape button." I for one do not like it as there is too much roll off (attenuation) below 50 Hz. Indeed there is a very steep cut of -12 db @ 50 Hz that I just can't abide. There is a +7db boost @ 170 Hz, and I do like that. This shape button maybe good for slappers, but not for my fingerpicking style.

Starting from flat I played around searching for just the right amount of ATTACK!

Bass Guitar: 1976 Fender Precision

BASS @ +6db anymore than this became boomy.
Low Mids @ +6db This is where the meat lives. The Bass & Lo-Mid tone controls are crucial.
High Mids @ -4db Dial down honkiness here. This is as high as I could go without excessive honkiness.
Treble @ -4db. Just a minor cut in tandem with the High Mids reinforces the bottom end punch and solid midrange meatiness.

Please note that my db settings are approximations (damn good guesses). OK?
NO tone shape buttons were engaged.
NO Overdrive applied.

But DO try this setting out and see what you think. I like it. I like it a lot. :)
My volume was at 3, but I did play at half volume (5) just to make sure, and man-oh-man it is soooooo very nice. Yes.

Fender Rumble Putting Meat On Your Tone Table

2013 Rumble 350 + 112 x2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:17 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

O! That Overdrive!

O Yes! Fun with Fender's Rumble Overdrive :D

Tone settings are my PUNCH settings in the previous post. Volume @ 3.
I've made some overdrive comments in previous posts and just wanted to tie them in together with some newer observations.

Fat & Warm Tuby Vibe: Drive @ 2 1/2 Blend @ 25%

50/50: Drive @ 5 Blend @ 50% This is actually a good starting point to play around with the overdrive. This setting is ok but kinda 'meh'. You can do better.

Psychedelic Fuzztone 1967: Drive @ 10 Blend @ 100% This is Extreme :twisted:

Acid Rock: Drive @ 7-6 1/5 Blend @ 60-70% This is a very good sounding range for this overdrive. My tone of reference is Jack Bruce's bass line on Frank Zappa's Apostrophe'.
http://youtu.be/zXP_pr7np-o
This is as close as I could get, and it is pretty damn close! :)

Some people have put down the Rumble's overdrive feature as just a toy. Not true. No it isn't as nice or sound as good as units that cost as much as my amp, but it is a very musical sounding overdrive that can be quite useful and makes the Rumble 75; 150; & 350 that much more versatile.

Also I highly recommend getting Fender's best footswitch to go along with your amp. At first I thought "Nah, I don't need it." Wrong. Get it.

Please note that the overdrive can add a good +5db or more to your volume level, so be advised! :wink:

Stomp On The 'O' And Have An Eargasm!

2013 Rumble 350 + 112 x2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:43 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

This is pretty cool. It looks like you did your homework. Thanks for the manual link, too. I didn't get one when I bought my amp (I got a deal with a brand new, out of the box but never played model and they didn't have one) and the last time I looked (well, it's been a long time) it wasn't in their archives. They just had the manual for the old series. I'm actually terrible at describing these things to people. This is the same reason I couldn't give bass lessons to people. I've been playing since August of 1988, but I took only a few lessons when I first started and I'm primarily self-taught. I can play professionally, and do, but I'm completely lost in how to teach anything.

I generally set my amp flat with some boost in the bass, low mids and I turn the treble down some so I don't get to clacky with the strings. I don't use the tweeter, either. I don't recall if I'm using the shape button, or not. My bass I'm primarily using (a 1994 P-Bass Lyte) seems to be strong on the treble (I nick-named it the "Treble Monster,") so I'm constantly having to mess with it, or my amp. This is one on the annoying things about active pickups, with me. That, and changing batteries. I imagine if I had a regular P-Bass with flats on it, my results would be different. I would still probably not use the tweeter and mute the treble a little.

I've used the overdrive a few times. I like it. It reminds me of the 60's bumble bee fuzz. I've just cranked the drive and blend all of the way for pure nastiness. I believe this is what you called Psychedelic Fuzztone. I never messed with it in any other setting, though. I might do that someday. I like the fact I have the distortion built it, so I don't have to worry about another pedal (when I actually do use distortion) and my friend batteries. I wish there was a decent chorus with it, too. That would be very handy for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:45 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

You're quite welcome BassPaulL. Glad to have been of some service. I really dislike the 'clank'/'clack' of most active pickups. It just sounds so bad to my ears.

The whole point of this thread is to help Rumble owners get the most out of their amps. I think I may make one last post on this thread later today.

2013 Rumble 350 + 112 x2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:57 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

TONE TIPS

:arrow: This is for the begining bassist. I don't intend to insult anyone's intelligence, or come off patronizing or condescending.

1) Start Off Flat. Simple enough. Set all tone controls to zero cut or boost. No Tone shaping buttons engaged. Overdrive Off. Choose a sane volume level (and not too low either) something around 1/3rd volume is good. And just play. Notice the tone - how it sounds. This is your starting point.

2) Pick A Tone Control. I would start with the Midrange as it's the easiest to hear. Play a wide range of notes all over the fretboard. Back the mids off slowly and cut it all the way down. Listen carefully and notice what it does to your overall tone. Now turn it up, boosting the mids all the way, and again listening carefully notice what it does to your overall tone. Then return it to flat.

3) Operate every tone control in the same manner as described above in step 2. This way you'll learn which frequencies a tone control effects in which manner and to what degree. This helps train your ear to dial in good tone.

4) Learn What The Tone Shaping Buttons Do. Place all tone controls flat, and engage each button. Play and notice how it effects your lows; highs, and mids. Engage them both at the same time if you like. It's alright. The amp won't blow up. :wink:

5) Overdrive. Play with it. It's fun. In general parents; neighbors, and landlords don't like the 'O'. :twisted:

6) Zero in on a tone setting that compliments you, your music style & your bass. This takes time just like learning to play. So don't get discouraged - just keep at it. Pick a bass player that you really like. Try to emulate their tone as closely as possible. Keep in mind their multi-thousand dollar rig and/or highly customized bass. As in everything, do the very best you can.

Now get out there and be a ROCK STAR!

2013 Rumble 350 + 112 x2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:13 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

Another thing that really helped me when I started out and I still have a copy of is this book: http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Scale-Manu ... 0825640644

I found it quite helpful and I was a lazy bastard who hated to sit down and practice. I just wanted to jam with people. I learned movable scales and the notes on my fretboard and how they coagulate with keys or chords. This is how I learned how to play. It took some time and effort, but I got there. That and trying to learn some songs by my favourite bands, then I always tried to write my own songs. It also helped to have an opportunity to jam with some decent guitarists and drummer over the years.

This is why I couldn't give lessons. I have no clue how to begin. I basically just learned how to play a major and minor movable scales and took it from there. It sounds primitive, but it worked. I have acquired the knowledge of playing over the years, I just don't know how to explain it where it would be helpful to anyone else. It's funny, If someone told me they were playing blues in G or a chord progression of Am F G, or whatever, I would know what to come up with and even jam on it many different ways, yet I don't know how to say how I can do it without any frustration on anyone's part.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:25 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

:idea: :arrow: TTT :wink:

I just re-read this thread and there is some very good stuff in here. Great Tone Tips Galore!

2013 Rumble 350 + 112 x2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:05 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I just found and read this thread. This was a really good and useful thread, Linnin, even after 43 years of playing bass. Fingerstyle. I have never held a bass and a pick in my hands at the same time. I have a way of holding my forefinger with my thumb for a pick style attack approach. Still, it's all with my fingers.

I don't use a pick with my guitar playing either. Pick one up once and a while, but never for too long.

I was groovin' with a nice Rumble setting with my Bronco. Vintage 15 cab sounded real sweet.

Disclaimer: I think picks are fine. Making music is very personal and whatever works is the sheet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:12 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Just came across this thread. Since I play guitar mainly I only have one bass. Squier 60's Vibe Jazz and I love it. I'm pretty old school with my bass. I keep the 350's EQ pretty flat, don't use the horn much. Occasionally use the scoop. I mix the volume and tone with the controls on the Jazzy. Mostly a 60's type tone. The only time I used the overdrive and actually liked it, was with an old recording by Music Machine called "Talk Talk". But I think they actually had a fuzz on the bass.

I can see using a pick for some songs, but I usually just use fingers. And again, I very much like the Hi-Mass bridge on this bass.

Art

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:49 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Here's a tone thread in the Jazz Bass forum that is complimentary to this one, so if you have a Rumble and a Jazz bass go here > http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=87492

2013 Rumble 350 + 112 x2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:12 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Thanks linnin, I'll check that out.

Art

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:49 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Location: Alabama, Michigan, Florida, Wisconsin, Mississippi and Tennessee seasonally
`
`

Rumble 350-210 settings for single amp on stage (this is Not the way that I set the controls if I am in a larger venue, daisy chaining into the Bassman 250-210, the Peavy Max115 and two fill-in directional subwooders.)

All control settings are listed in clock face numbers:

Volume - 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock depending on the size of the room.
Overdrive in/out - In
Overdrive Gain - 3 o'clock
Overdrive Blend - 9 o'clock
Left Shape - Out
Right Shape - In
EQ Bass - Max clockwise
EQ Left Mid - 12 o'clock
EQ Right Mid - 9 O'Clock
Treble - 12 o'clock
Horn - Off

P/S - I AM heard over the drummer !! ;)

ALA or WIS seasonally.