It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Rumble Series...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:46 am 
Amateur
Amateur

I use to have the Fender Bassman 250/210 and really liked it. I did get rid of it because I wanted more power. I got a GK MB210 because it's 350 watts and can be used with the 210MBE extension cabinet making the amp a 4x10 with 500 watts.
I noticed Fender doesn't have that particular Bassman Series anymore. Has the Rumble Series combos taken the place of the Bassman combos? I liked the quality and sound of the Bassman. How would you compare the Bassman 250/210 and the Rumble 350 2x10? Also, can an extension cab be used with the Rumble 350? That's the main reason I got rid of my Bassman 250/210...not being able to add an ext cab and to boost the power?
The Bassman was somewhat of a "pro/gigging" amp also. Is the Rumble 350/210 considered to be a "pro/gigging" amp? I know it's a lot of questions but I'm curious. I like the extra power I have with the GK set-up I have but if the specs are right I'd probably go back to Fender. I have a MIA Precision, Standard Jazz, Geddy Jazz, and an Ibanez SR700. Thanks for any info on the questions I asked.

Ibanez SR700
GK MB210 combo
GK 210MBE cab
GK 410MBE cab
Peavey Tour 450 amp head

Post subject: Re: Rumble Series...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:19 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Good question and I have wondered the same thing.

I have a Fender Bassman 250 head and a MIA P Bass and I swear they are a match made in heaven. Like you, I felt that the 250 watts wasn't quite enough. My solution was to augment my rig with a Crown XLS1500 connected to the line out of the Bassman. Now, I have 1500 watts of the awesome, creamy Bassman tone at my fingertips -- complete bass nirvana (of course, I don't need all of that power but better to have too much than not enough).

I have been saying for some time that what Fender needs is something like a Bassman 500 utilizing a class D amp. You would get that great Bassman tone and the benefit of a clean, high power, low cost, low weight class D amplifier.

Fender came close to my wish with the new Rumble 350. Rumbles have a similar tone to Bassmans. It's hard to say exactly how close. With that kind of power, I don't see how anyone could say it is not "gigable." And, to me, if it's "gigable"; it's "pro."

What's the difference between the Rumble product line and the Bassman product line? That is difficult to answer but I can speculate. It seems to me that, for marketing reasons, Fender likes to maintain what is perceived to be an upper tier of products (Bassman, PRO, American instruments, etc.). In most cases, there is nothing wrong with the other tiers; they're just aimed at the wider, more average (average in terms of income; not average musically) market.

It's like asking what's the difference between Fender American basses/guitars and their non-American counterparts. Are there differences? Yes. Does it matter? Not necessarily. There are pros who play with Squier basses. Those basses are certainly capable of doing the job. Is that what you want? Only you can decide.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:39 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I just stumbled across this:
Gig tonight with Fender Rumble 350 2X10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:08 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks for the information. At times I wish I would have kept the Bassman 250/210. I really did like the sound. I just wanted to have more power "just in case". I do like the weight of the GK though. My left shoulder is totally destroyed and being held together with plastic so I opted to get something lighter. I have been looking for another Bassman 250/210 though. I do wish Fender would make something similar to the GK combo though...the ability to bump up from 350 watts to 500 watts with an extension cabinet. To be honest, I've only used the extension cab twice since I got it. I had no real need for the 500 watts. There's too much stuff out there to use...lol. Oh well, maybe I'll run across another Bassman 250 combo with a 2x10 or 1x15.
Question: we don't play through a PA. We use a PA for vocals only. Did you ever encounter not having enough power with just the 250 by itself? I seemed to have plenty with it. I guess I just had the greed or need for more power. Thanks.

Ibanez SR700
GK MB210 combo
GK 210MBE cab
GK 410MBE cab
Peavey Tour 450 amp head

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:42 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

djflats wrote:
Did you ever encounter not having enough power with just the 250 by itself?
Only with an 8 ohm cab. With 8 ohms, the amp may only be delivering about 150 watts.

For gigging, I use a 4 ohm 215. I get the full 250 watts with that. So far, this has always been enough. However, even then, I notice that I have to turn the gain up most of the way. 250 watts probably wouldn't be enough (for me, at least) with a big or outdoor venue -- and we have an outdoor gig lined up for the spring so I needed a solution.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:07 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

It's heavy as all get out but I've never had a problem keeping up with my Bassman 400. I have the head and a 410 & 115. For smaller venues, I usually just use the 410. For larger venues, especially large outdoor stuff, I add the 115. But for small outdoor stuff, I like the sound of the 115 by itself. You can get some real bargains on ebay if you're looking for the 400.