It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: High End Tube Amps
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:53 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

There are so many amps.

Does this amp sound 5 times better than a DRRI?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... -combo-amp

There are sooooooooo many options other than Fender. Seems like Marshall makes about 252 models all in the same power range that are tube but have some effects, all looking identical.

Is it just a given that everyone should get a DRRI or Princeton for moderate or home volumes or do I just think that because the only type of musical equipment I've ever owned is Fender and this is the only internet forum I frequent?

I was in another thread where it was pointed out that DRRI's price of $1,000 or so is like $200 in 1965 and it is *not* a "high end" but rather is a starter tube amp today.

So there are $5,000 amps.

I want the cleanest most perfect clean tone possible.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... -combo-amp sounds 5 times better than DRRI?

(not that I can afford it due to my ex wife's thievery, but I'm just wondering)

Post subject: Re: High End Tube Amps
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:05 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I bought this because it had more clean headroom than the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
It also has a better drive channel nor the problems the HR DLX has.
It is also under a grand.

http://traynoramps.com/guitar/ycv/product/ycv40wr/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:11 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Her Wanna wrote:
I was in another thread where it was pointed out that DRRI's price of $1,000 or so is like $200 in 1965 and it is *not* a "high end" but rather is a starter tube amp today.

In point of fact, the original Deluxe Reverb (and the companion Deluxe) were considered by the company to be "student" models. In '65 they retailed for around $265 ($245 for the non-reverb edition). They would later become the paradigm for a grab-and-go combo that offered legendary Fender tone, professional utility for small-to-medium venues, and the reliability that Fenders of that era were known for.

Then as now, you can spend more but I'm doubtful you'll actually get more.

JMOOC

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:14 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

you could try and pick up something 2nd hand that won't break the bank try an old peavey classic (50w) plenty of clean headroom for the house ) or one of the newer peavey 30 watt tube amps , these can be picked up for a good price if you shop around . Also check out the epiphone valve jnr 5 watts , i have the head version which has been modded and it sounds sweet through a 2x12 or 4x12 cab 8) , and don't rule out the smaller vox amps as well i use an ac 15 and it can pull off clean and chimey no probs , hth , cheers
Alan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:31 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

alanssaab wrote:
you could try and pick up something 2nd hand that won't break the bank try an old peavey classic (50w) plenty of clean headroom for the house ) or one of the newer peavey 30 watt tube amps , these can be picked up for a good price if you shop around . Also check out the epiphone valve jnr 5 watts , i have the head version which has been modded and it sounds sweet through a 2x12 or 4x12 cab 8) , and don't rule out the smaller vox amps as well i use an ac 15 and it can pull off clean and chimey no probs , hth , cheers
Alan

Thanks and not trying to be a jerk: are these clean and chimey tones as clean and chimey as "the classic Fender tone" that everyone wants? It seems like there are two camps, already reflected in this thread: (1) proponents of various non-Fender amps that can be great crunchy and also have good cleans; and (2) people who talk about "the Fender clean tone" as if it cannot be equaled by anyone else. It also seems (perhaps just my impression) that those who fall into category 1 don't really put quite as much "emphasis" on caring about shimmering cleans (???).

It might not matter to me. I happen to think my $99.00 Line 6 Spider 15W solid state 8" speaker has a nice clean and also is way louder than anyone in my family ever lets me get close to if they are home (LOL).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:32 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
Her Wanna wrote:

In point of fact, the original Deluxe Reverb (and the companion Deluxe) were considered by the company to be "student" models. In '65 they retailed for around $265 ($245 for the non-reverb edition). They would later become the paradigm for a grab-and-go combo that offered legendary Fender tone, professional utility for small-to-medium venues, and the reliability that Fenders of that era were known for.

Then as now, you can spend more but I'm doubtful you'll actually get more.

JMOOC

Arjay

Thanks again, as always, for your input. So you're in the camp that holds that the "legendary Fender tone" cannot be beaten (or even equaled?) by anyone else. Not even a $5,000 Two-Rock? Not challenging that view; just asking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:45 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Hi , the vox might sound a bit different to the fender , it is british after all , i also have an old peavey mace 160 watts :D , it's a stadium killer but for clean headroom i know of nothing that will touch it , it also uses the 6l6 valves that fenders run , try out some of the peavey amps in a store against the fenders and see what you think , cheers
Alan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:49 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

ps , i have never owned a fender amp in 30 odd years of playing , i have played through a few mind you , all i can re suggest is go and try out some amps , you might find you'll like something other than a fender or marshall , cheers
Alan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:12 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Her Wanna wrote:
Thanks again, as always, for your input. So you're in the camp that holds that the "legendary Fender tone" cannot be beaten (or even equaled?) by anyone else. Not even a $5,000 Two-Rock? Not challenging that view; just asking.

I'm saying that 'legendary Fender tone' (as envisioned and designed by Leo Fender himself) stands in a unique sonic genre. Many people regard it as the benchmark. Thus, Fender "cleans" do not sound like Vox "cleans", Marshall "cleans", Mesa-Boogie "cleans", or -- to my knowledge -- anybody else's "cleans". Not to imply or suggest that those companies haven't produced some great products, they have. But Leo's creations remain iconoclastic among the myriad of amps manufactured over the years.

As for the $5K Two-Rock, I've not seen them or played them and I'll reserve judgment until those occasions actually occur.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:10 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I’ve been researching good quality tube amps for about six months, so I can give you some feedback. There’s an amp to serve every purpose, so you need decide what you’re going to use it for. If you ever plan on gigging with it you need more power than if it’s going to stay home it’s entire life. You also need to make a list of features you want and only consider amps that have those features, otherwise your head will never stop spinning because there’s so many amps to choose from.
Power should be a main deciding factor. I regularly play at two open mic nights and both supply the amps. At one, I use a Vox AC30, and have it totally cranked because the band tends to play very loud. At the other I use a small tweed Fender, I’m not sure of the model, but it keeps up just fine because the band tends to play more jazzy stuff. My current amp is a Vox AD60VTX. It always has plenty of power, so I’m looking for amps in the 50w – 65w range.
I want an effects loop, direct line out and adjustable power switch. I’ve been surprised at how many good quality amps don’t have an effects loop. I’m probably going to go with a head and separate speaker cabinet to make loading easier.
I’ve decided to get an Egnater. It has a feature you might be interested in. It has both 6L6 and EL34 power tubes and an adjustable dial that lets you pick the blend of these tubes. The 6L6 will give you more of a Fender clean sound, the EL34’s will give you more of the Vox crunch. Here’s a link to the amp I’m thinking about, though I’m also considering the next model up. I hope this all helps some.
http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProdu ... de112.html

'07 Les Paul Standard Faded LCPG #82
'14 Carvin ST300 Transparent Black
'12 Carvin CS424S Honeyburst
'66 Guild Starfire IV w/Bigsby

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:12 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I'd like to mention that I typed the above post and when I tried to submit it I got an error message and it made me very cranky. I'm glad it went through the second time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:22 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Drew365 wrote:
I’ve been researching good quality tube amps for about six months, so I can give you some feedback. There’s an amp to serve every purpose, so you need decide what you’re going to use it for. If you ever plan on gigging with it you need more power than if it’s going to stay home it’s entire life. You also need to make a list of features you want and only consider amps that have those features, otherwise your head will never stop spinning because there’s so many amps to choose from.
Power should be a main deciding factor. I regularly play at two open mic nights and both supply the amps. At one, I use a Vox AC30, and have it totally cranked because the band tends to play very loud. At the other I use a small tweed Fender, I’m not sure of the model, but it keeps up just fine because the band tends to play more jazzy stuff. My current amp is a Vox AD60VTX. It always has plenty of power, so I’m looking for amps in the 50w – 65w range.
I want an effects loop, direct line out and adjustable power switch. I’ve been surprised at how many good quality amps don’t have an effects loop. I’m probably going to go with a head and separate speaker cabinet to make loading easier.
I’ve decided to get an Egnater. It has a feature you might be interested in. It has both 6L6 and EL34 power tubes and an adjustable dial that lets you pick the blend of these tubes. The 6L6 will give you more of a Fender clean sound, the EL34’s will give you more of the Vox crunch. Here’s a link to the amp I’m thinking about, though I’m also considering the next model up. I hope this all helps some.
http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProdu ... de112.html

Thank you very much for this, both for the info and also because this perfectly illustrates *exactly* what I’m saying. For the same or less money, these egnater amps (like super kid bought one option) and many many others like blackstar, marshall, etc. have sooooooo many features like ability to mix tubes, turn down the wattage, clean and overdrive channels on board, etc etc etc etc etc….whereas by comparison the Fender DRRI, Princeton, and Twin have basically ZERO features other than “the legendary Fender tone,” yet DRRI is still a huge seller, right? I’m not saying it should be otherwise; I’m trying to learn.

I’ve been to many many small club type gigs (as a member of the audience) and I have seen DRRI about 739 times but I’ve never noticed a blackstar or egnater amp on stage. Not once.

So despite all these features, does the Egnater’s tone not measure up to the Fender DRRI, which can still be crunchy with pedals?

Egnater with all these features vs. DRRI…similar price..... even if one wanted high gain stuff….I still see people using the DRRI.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:46 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I don't think there's one answer to your question. I've used the Renegade at rehearsals and I know I can get good tones with it. I want certain features along with good tone more than I want to achieve one particular tone, whether legendary or not. I owned a '66 Twin Reverb for many years and I know how great they can sound but that's not the amp I want at this point in time. You have to make the same decision. The amp has to be right for you regardless of how many you see on stages.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:17 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Her Wanna wrote:
I’ve been to many many small club type gigs (as a member of the audience) and I have seen DRRI about 739 times but I’ve never noticed a blackstar or egnater amp on stage. Not once.

They're out there, though at present they remain (seemingly) in the minority......

I don't which model this Blackstar happened to be but it was a 2 x 10 configuration with a few on-board effects. It didn't sound too bad (for modern tones) but it lacked the balls of my 20-watt Spankmaster Reverb and never quite cut through the mix when the gentleman went for a solo.

Arjay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:28 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
Her Wanna wrote:

They're out there, though at present they remain (seemingly) in the minority......

I don't which model this Blackstar happened to be but it was a 2 x 10 configuration with a few on-board effects. It didn't sound too bad (for modern tones) but it lacked the balls of my 20-watt Spankmaster Reverb and never quite cut through the mix when the gentleman went for a solo.

Arjay

I'm purposely not bringing any pedals to open mic nights so I can learn to make my guitar and amp do the work. I took my '10 American Deluxe with me Friday and last night. Straight in, I was heard when needed. It renewed my affection for that guitar. Actually I didn't even use the passing lane switch as that was way too loud.