It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Site Layout - Bravo!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

ZZDoc wrote:
Read Brad's launch notice on Facebook. Here's a bottle of Dom for ya :wink:

Much appreciated, sir!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

strings10927 wrote:
at first I was like....

...but then I was like

Thanks ... I think. LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Ceri wrote:
Screamin' Armadillo wrote:
I Like the cleaner lines, but is anyone else having a hard time moving, navigating and enlarging/zooming in on things with an iPhone?

Haven't tried it on Mrs C's iPhone yet, but on my not-iPhone the banner heading is taking up about half the screen, leaving only a rather small letterbox below to actually browse the site. That's a bit of a problem I'm afraid.

Aside from that though, it looks great on a computer screen! :D

I like it. ...What did the old site look like? I've forgotten already.

Cheers - C

Plans for more effective mobile presence MAY be in the works but you didn't hear it from me ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Ceri wrote:
[A few minutes later]

Oo - just seen the 360 degree view feature on the Am Std Strat. That is neat! Nice work, team! 8)

Cheers - C

In that case, you may want to poke around and check out the hundreds of other 360s as well. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

mpr wrote:
The static header takes 1/6 of the usable screen height on x768 resolutions. At least in the forum it's just a hindrance. The non-rectangular shape is also a negative.

A quick fix for Opera:
Create a file (something.css) with this content: "header { display: none !important; }"
Right click on the page, in "Edit Site Preferences \ Display \ My Style Sheet" choose the above file.

I haven't looked into what creates the extra margin at the top, but at least no overlay anymore.

Wouldn't mind seeing a few screen captures of what you're referring to above. Again, I have to be honest: Opera support ranks low on our list of priorities as a general rule but I am absolutely happy to consider it if there is enough specific demand for it here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

tdanb2003 wrote:
:? Ok Where did the guitar builder go? I miss my creations... :(

Retired for now, sadly. Might return in some new form in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:02 am 
Site Admin

mw13068 wrote:
The site is pretty unusable on my Android phone browser. Of course the old one wasn't great either.

On the desktop browser, the clean lines are nice, but the navigation is cumbersome. Side-scrolling is irritating, and non-visible navigation elements (the ones that don't display on the first click) are essentially buried.

Fender: Check your analytics to see how many mobile phone visitors you have. You really need to look into responsive web design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design

Your web design team needs to take some notes from Leo Fender's simple, user-centered philosophy of design.

Quite familiar with responsive design (check out our Guild site) and analytics-derived decisionmaking - though would hardly call a responsive approach "simple." I honestly have doubts as to its longevity and would not consider deploying a presence of this nature over it - at least yet. Will gladly be proven wrong and that's part of the fun of this realm - so many great ideas and it's fun to see which ones do truly take hold and prove to be the ultimate game changers!

Android weaknesses acknowledged - look to a more meaningful mobile experience in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:07 am 
Site Admin

ZZDoc wrote:
mw13068 wrote:
Your web design team needs to take some notes from Leo Fender's simple, user-centered philosophy of design.

I'm sure you know what Brad's official position is at FMIC in addition to Forum Administrator. That's why we're all inputting constructive criticism with love. :wink:

That's OK, Doc - the nature of the beast is that every unique individual has a unique opinion and the role requires absorbing collective input and ultimately deciding what we feel is best, understanding that there is simply no effective way to please everyone ... and all done without getting one's feathers overly ruffled in the process. These same traits, conveniently, frequently work out well with moderation duties as well. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:08 am 
Site Admin

Miami Mike wrote:
ZZDoc wrote:
Read Brad's launch notice on Facebook. Here's a bottle of Dom for ya :wink:

I'm not on FB, but I follow his Twitter feed.

Nice work, Brad and crew!

I honestly had completely forgotten that I synced my FB statuses over to Twitter. Anyway, glad to hear I'm reaching you one way or another. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 am 
Site Admin

mw13068 wrote:
ZZDoc wrote:
I'm sure you know what Brad's official position is at FMIC in addition to Forum Administrator. That's why we're all inputting constructive criticism with love. :wink:

Hmm. I don't. Is Brad the webmaster for FMIC?

If so. Sorry if I was harsh. I'm a webmaster, and I know how it can be.

I was trying to surf the site on my phone earlier, and I simply couldn't. Not even possible to use the top-level product navigation. I'm not sure how it's working for iPhone users, but the Android 2.2.1 browser is having big usability issues.

No worries here at all - I welcome any and all feedback. You're observing something perfectly valid here which is that our mobile experience ain't happenin' yet - I'm just assuring you that we have a different approach in mind than what you were getting at there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:16 am 
Site Admin

pet415 wrote:
The new layout looks better compare to the old one.

Adding one checkmark in the "Yes" column. LOL. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Gorgon wrote:
BMW-KTM wrote:
I definitely like the cleaner look but I have to say I'm not a fan of the big black bar gobbling up all my screen space.

That black bar should really be shrunk down to about a third of that size, it takes up too much room on the screen!

Would love to get a few screen captures from folks just to triply-verify that we're all seeing the same thing here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:49 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Ceri wrote:
it looks great on a computer screen! :D

I like it. ...What did the old site look like? I've forgotten already.

Cheers - C

+1 :lol:

Thanks Ceri, and, thanks Brad it does look great!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:00 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

BMW-KTM wrote:
I have to say I'm not a fan of the big black bar gobbling up all my screen space.

+1

I'm not "feelin' the love" either.

:roll:

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:44 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I'm not groovin' with the "windowshade" that won't go up. That Fender red tag is particular obnoxious. I have to scroll to read a post I click on. If the site functions better, very good. Aesthetically it's a fail for me. Guess I won't be picking up any brownie points for that. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next