It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Ultimate chorus problem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:55 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I am having problems with my ultimate chorus amp. After playing for about half an hour it begins to break down (cutting out and popping back in, muffled sound) then will quit all together. I know it is solid state, so it would seem that a resistor of some sort is heating up then failing. P. S. I use the amp connected to a digitech GNX3. I thought this may have caused the problem, but with it disconnected the problem still exists. Any help out there?

Post subject: Re: Fender Ultimate chorus problem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:09 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

You are probably right about it being heat related. But tracking down the exact problem will require disassembling the amp and accessing the circuit board and the right test gear to check everything. It really needs to visit an ace amp tech or an authorized service center. It will be next to impossible to diagnose the problem remotely. It could be something as simple as a bad solder joint which makes some contact when cool but when it warms the circuit board expands a little losing connection. I'd say it is probably heat related, but finding exactly what it is will almost certainly require a tech.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:59 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The first I would do is pull the board and look for any burn marks or parts and look very carefully for bad solder joints these amps had really bad issue with solder joints. Most of the time its the two big capacitors C84 and C85. Make sure you unplug it. Is it the DSP?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:34 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I took your advise. Took the amp to a repair shop. After tech played long enough to get good and hot, it worked fine for him. He suggested that I check the power supply where I play, that it may be not getting enough power (too many other things on same line), and when it gets hot and begins requiring more power, the inner protective circuitry will begin to shut down. I took it back and played about a half an hour and it shut down again but this time I notice before it completely shut down, it would jump between channels. Is it possible to not have enough power to cause this. Help!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:53 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi garsal,

The very first thing to check is.......<drum-roll>......warranty. Do you have warranty? If so take it back for coverage.

I would not suspect a low power problem, but easy enough to monitor with a volt meter at the outlet while playing. The voltage should be around 110 to 120 VAC, and remain quite steady. The voltage would have to sag quite a bit for it to begin to be an issue. It is possible, but highly unlikely. I would consider improper grounding as a possible issue though. Are you using a three-prong outlet with a definite separate ground? Death to those who defeat the ground! (<--- battle cry)

Did the tech take the amp apart to make sure that the solder joints are good? If not, that should be done after ground/power issues are eliminated as a possible problem. An intermittent problem usually indicates a poor connection. Typically, solder joints are the first suspect in a modern amp if there is an intermittent connection.

Those are the things that I would check; monitor the outlet voltage, proper ground, solder joints. Anything beyond that could get hairy, and solid state amps aren't fun/popular to work on.

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.