It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: MIJ System III locking nut
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:08 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

A friend of mine has given me his MIJ Stratocaster Contemporary and asked me to restore it to its former glory.

However, aside from the missing hex key Trem arm, the "height-adjustable" locking nut has pretty much exploded. Three of the retaining blocks are missing and the male section of the locking arm is snapped and sheared off while the lock lever itself is missing.

Can anyone advise me where or even IF a replacement can be found? A thorough trawl of the web throws up almost nothing. System I trems seems to be fairly easy to get hold of but there's very little on the System III and nothing whatsoever on the locking nut.

It would be a doddle to lob some after-sales locking nut on it but my friend would really like this guitar to be as close to "as built" as possible. Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks all,

Jim

PS - I've contacted Schaller in Germany who manufactured this Kahler style trem for Fender but have not had a squeak out of them as yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi there Jimbo101, I may have some of the parts that you are looking for. I own Three of these models with the system three trem, and another one that I bought just for parts. I LOVE THESE GUITARS.

One question, are the retaining blocks for the locking nut rounded or square (block shape)? I've run into both types. I have the lever for the locking nut, but the pin is snapped and haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, I haven't needed to so far.

I believe I have an extra trem arm, and saddles for the system III.

I will check my parts bin and get back to you if you are interested in the parts that I have. I may even be interested in selling a guitar for parts, although this guitar had the nut replaced with a standard nut. The pick ups in this guitar sound amazing.

Zig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:28 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi Zig,

The blocks I need for the headnut are the rounded ones (square on three edges, rounded on the fourth) although if you only have the square ones that would be fine.

The bits that I'm after are those headnut blocks, the clamp arm and pin (that goes through the retaining blocks) and a trem arm. It would probably be easier to buy the entire headnut and replace that than fiddling around with the blocks, pin and clamp. No need for the bridge saddles.

If you would let me know how much you would like for those parts I will get on to my friend and ask him if he's happy to meet your price and if it's a yes, then we'll sort out some payment and delivery options (I live in Sweden).

Please bare in mind though that he told me about a week ago that he would be happy for the guitar simply to be playable and would be satisfied with any kind of replacement locking nut. However, me being a perfectionist (and believing that instruments as unusual as these should be kept as close to the way they were intended to be as possible) would much rather be able to hand back the guitar to him looking like it should!

Cheers mate!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:30 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

This site sometimes has parts for the system III, but I didn't check to see what they currently have, but yeah System I is easier to find parts for.

http://www.fretsonthenet.com/new_page_2.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:32 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi Zig,
Maybe you can help me with an issue on my system III (Contemporary strat).
When I play with the whammy, up-down... no problem, it comes back to tune perfectly.
As soon as I bend a string, any string from the High E to Low E, that string becomes slightly flat.
Hit the whammy down again, comes back in tune.
In other words, to stay in tune after bending, I need to lower the whammy and the strings come back to their position.
Any ideas? Does yours do that?
I heard some kahlers do that too, not sure if it's a normal part of this type of trem system.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,
Prosper.

Post subject: Whammy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:43 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey guys!

I've been reading your post and was wondering if someone can help me out.
I just bought one of these awesome Contemporary Fender Strats with the system III and can't find a whammy bar ANYWHERE for it as mine didn't come equipt with one.

I went on the website posted and asked if they have anything and they don't :(

would anyone know where I can find one? they are mighty hard to come by and I'm running out of ideas!

Thanks in advance!
K

Post subject: Re: MIJ System III locking nut
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:28 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Folks - I too am in a situation where the Contemporary Strat with a System III bridge/nut that I bought in 1986 had the pin break on me and unfortunately, the pieces that I had for the nut (blocks, pin and lever arm) have gone missing. If anyone out there has the aforementioned parts, I would be eternally grateful as I've been looking for them for years with no luck.

BTW - I had a "guitar tech" do a setup on my strat a while back and he told me my guitar was "worthless" and it was "Fender's worst year (1985)". What a maroon!

Cheers,
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:25 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I need a lever locking nut for a 85 MIJ Contemporary Stratocaster.

Bill Scarlett
AB5PJ
ab5pj@windstream.net

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:52 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'm restoring my '86 MIJ strat I'm also looking for blocks for the locknut. I now have 1 round grey/black one and the others are the metal colored type. Any help will be much appreciated!