It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Lace Sensor Golds VS. Blue/Silver & Red.
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:55 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

I heard some You Tube demos of Lace Sensor Golds that were very impressive. Much like vintage 50's Strat sounds. Does anyone have any experience with the gold sensors? How would you compare them to the mixed color set?? I understand that Lace Golds also come in different outputs, as if for the bridge position for instance. Thank You.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:52 am 
Amateur
Amateur

I have an '89 Deluxe Am. Std. Strat with the LS Golds. They are a good hi-fi type pickup, good for recording, quiet. I blow hot-and-cold on them though-They are a bit glassy and compressed-sounding, and I have to admit I like my other Strat with CS69's better-more growl and chime. Good excuse to have two Strats...

Post subject: Lace Golds vs. '69's
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:37 am 
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks for your input. So your CS 69's are not noiseless? I think I know that they're not. Some people say that noiseless pup's lack a certain "realism".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:47 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Hello!

I don't own a set of Golds but I've tried both Clapton and Buddy Guy Strats that were fitted with Gold Sensors and the Fender Mid-Boost Kit and I agree with bobbya's description,
bobbya wrote:
They are a bit glassy and compressed-sounding

That was until I got the mid boost on about 8. Along with a welcome boost in the mids and the output, it thickened the bottom end (just enough), increased the sustain and brought out a really nice bite the bridge and middle pups.

I do however, own a set of Lace Colours (Red, Silver, Blue). I've been banging on about how great these pups are quite a bit on these forums so I'll keep this short. They're great all round pups and my personal favourite at the mo!

As far as a comparison goes, the colours have much more output and tonal variance than golds IMO.

Lace get some pretty rough reviews especially when compared to traditional or “true” single coils. If I was after a traditional strat tone, I wouldn't buy or recommend Lace Sensors as they are a very contemporary sounding pups. I have no experience of the Fat 50's but I'd bet money they'll sound very different from the Golds simply by the vast difference in design. The 50's won't have that Hi-Fi compressed tone that's so dominant in the Golds and will probably have a greater dynamic response to different playing / picking styles. For example; you'll notice a greater difference in tone between playing hard or soft with the 50's.

Slightly off topic......

I also own a set of Hot Golds and feel that Lace have produced a winning pup here. They have retained all the good aspects of the original Gold sensor and given them a some balls! IMO much more versatile and slightly more “real / true sounding ” than the originals. My set has the 13.2k bridge pup which despite being double the resistance is still (to my ears) very well balanced with the other two pups. They're wired up to the Fender S-1 switch and the Clapton Mid Boost kit (there's a thread for how to do this). All-in-all a winning combination in my book.

I'd put the Hot Golds in-between the Golds and the Colours as far as tone and output go.

Hope this helps

Enjoy!

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:33 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

I have heard good things on the Hot Golds, and I do like Silvers quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:06 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Sorry for coming late to the party. I have a '96 Deluxe Strat Plus that came with R/S/B FLS PUPS. The Red was very distorty. To the point that it wouldn't do the clean bridge or the quack in pos 2 very well. Also, the Blue sounds more like a P90 to me. Okay, but not very Strat-like. Couldn't get that Hendrix/Trower neck bluesy tone. I ended up moving the Silver to the bridge and got 2 Gold FLS for the mid/neck. Now they sound very much like a Strat with a slightly hotter bridge, more like a quiet CS54 set. Pretty much specs out the same. As far as "a bit glassy and compressed-sounding", I don't really notice any " compression" and the low noise is a real plus. I mostly use this Strat with modler/processors for church due to ease of switching various amp/fx sound combinations. Also, Lace Sensors are the only true low noise single coils. All others use dual coils to reduce hum and to me do not sound like single coils.