It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Squier Standard P-Bass Special Pick up Question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:48 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi All,

I purchased a Squier P-Bass Special a few years back and just started playing it (I love it!).

I have four "beginner" questions.

1. The pick-up screws are not all the way tight, and you can push the pick-ups down a little. Do I need to tighten these or is that simply to allow the pick-ups to be adjusted to different heights?

2. I assume the controls are (from the bottom) overall tone, J Pick-up volume, P Pick-up volume... is that correct?

3. I hope to one day play Jazz (I can thump through basic basslines now and play along with some songs on CD). Is the P-Bass Special a Bass suiatable for Jazz music or should I update at some point to a Squier Jazz Bass?

4. I saw that you can buy a pick-up set for about $110 by Dimarzio specifically for the P+J pick-up combination. Would this be a huge upgrade to what I have now? would I be better going with Duncan pickups (do they make them for this set-up?) or am I better just sticking with what I have?

Any responses are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:16 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Hi Kerouac75, some legit questions you have there.

1. It's suppose to be "loose" for adjustment on how you want the sound, by variying the distance between the strings to pup and by the way you pick/finger the string as far as distance to pick up the string vibration by the pup. So leave 'em be.

2. Correct! :)

3. Yes, it's how you play that makes the sound, the pups/amp/bass is your tool to extend it. The Precision pup does have a fatter sound than the Jazz pup. I have both on my '87 Fender - Power Jazz Bass Special.

4. DiMarzios are an upgrade compared to the stock pup. Most out there like BassLines (Duncans), LF, EMGs, are upgrades, but they have a dinstinc sound that make the specific manufacturer famous. EMG in particular give a fat, almost jazzy, that heavy metal guys like. It's a matter of pref. If you really like to play Jazz, have you ever considered the Noiseless or other Fender aftermarket pups? I don't know what the Squier PBass Special sound like, but maybe like my '87 before the EMGs, altho mine had active pups as oe.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Good luck.

'07 VM '70s Jazz Bass-BadAssII
Project PBass-EMG PX, Schaller BM Light Tuner
VT Bass
Hartke TA5000 w/XL Cabs(210, 410, 115)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:19 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you Rez! Much appreciated. It didn't even dawn on me to just buy Fender pick-ups... as daft as that sounds. Not sure if once I get better if this will become my main bass or not. I am learning all the blues I can right now (12 bar style) and kinda want a telecaster bass copy. I have always loved the telecaster style both guitar and bass.

Does the "finger" rest on the vintage models get in the way if you play with a contemporary fingerpicking style (2 finger), any thoughts on that? I like the '51 reissue a lot.

I am still amazed at what quality and how playable the Squiers are. For home "hobbyist" musicians (non-working), I can't see why people on a budget would buy anything else. (I am on a serious budget)

Squier P Bass Special (Indonesia)

Currently focusing on the 12 Bar Blues

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:23 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

A lot of the reasons imo when Fender started to remove the finger/thumb rest is because people started to play diff't styles of bass picking/fingering and complained that the rest was in the way. I've never found that to be true personally, altho I never had one on any of my basses, I've played with basses of friends that had it.

As far as why people don't buy Squiers, badgewh*rism. On this forum, as to be expected, it's a Fender forum, so more people are into Fenders, and only Fender can do right. Squiers are the value(cheap) arm of Fender, and quality was very bad at one time (late 80s/90s) that it wasn't worth spending the $150 (then). Now they're quality have improved so much, if someone were to look for a bass to tool around with, you'd be crazy not to ck it out. I by the way was guilty of this badgewh*rism too for a long time, so I wasn't trying to insult anynone on here. For the money, the higher end Squiers are nothing to sneeze at.

VT Bass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:32 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Mine definitely could use new pickups. Other than that it is great. Granted I am not a studio level bassist. Just play along to all kinds of 12 bar blues tracks and maybe when a friend comes over a little more 12 bar jamming. Most of my friends play acoustic so I don't need a big amp (which is a plus).

I didn't really know what I was doing when I purchased this Squire Bass and just lucked out. It has a great feel. The tone knob is fairly useless. I would kinda prefer it wasn't there.

I will definitely go high end with my next purchase which should put me just under $300 which is all I can really afford. I may go the used Fender Mexi route but I really want the telecaster style.

Thanks for all your help!

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:55 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Nothing wrong with 12 bar blues, the better u are at it the stronger your fingers will be.

$300 is far from high end btw, unless ur being sarcastic :)

VT Bass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:21 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I was saying $300 was the high-end for a Squier. Do they have anything higher than that?

I really want a telecaster styled bass. I really like the look of the 50's Squier that they have coming out. If I am really in the money and with the blessing of my fiancee, I may think about the Sting Model. I really think that is cool too. We will see. I am a year or two away from that anyways.

at some point I am going to want to ditch my Squier BP 15 amp and get something a little nicer as well. I need small and spare bedroom friendly, so I am thinking of a 25 or the next step up of Rumble. I have plenty of time to get better, find my sound, and make these decisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:57 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Gotcha. I've had higher end basses in the past. The most expensive being the Stu Hamm sig that I paid $1100 for in '97. It was the 1st Stu Hamm signature - short scale bass.

The Sting sig is a nice bass. I'm not into the Tele style bass, I know they're nice basses, just not digging the look.

BTW, an amp would make such a difference in your sound too. I play thu a Hartke head (500w) and a KMD cab - 2 8" and 15". Give it some time, wait before u buy, play a whole bunch of diff't amps b4 u decide. Get the one that fits ur budget and your need.

VT Bass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:55 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

When I finally get "my amp" I want something vintage but I don't want to bother with tubes. I will also want a combo with either 1x15 or 1x12. That's all I know at the moment.

I was watching Muddy Waters on You Tube today and that didn't do anything but fuel my interest for telecasters. I think I like the simplicity of the design. Bells and whistles just confuse me. I just want pure guitar/bass sound.

Ah, the good ol' days....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:57 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Kerouac75 wrote:
When I finally get "my amp" I want something vintage but I don't want to bother with tubes. I will also want a combo with either 1x15 or 1x12. That's all I know at the moment.

Ah, the good ol' days....

Tubes give you that warm sound. Try a Hartke combo, they have mixed tube/solid state.

Good ol' days??? If it was good, it would still be here, now is the good ol' days my friend, more options to look at, better electronics, better constructed instrument(s) and amp(s), now is the good ol' days... :D

VT Bass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:10 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

That's funny... that is what I always tell people about the pro baseball players. Bigger, stronger, faster, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:18 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Just like the best ball player science can buy (lol roids), the instruments now are the best due to the technology. :)

VT Bass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:22 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

LOL... I don't think it is necessary to hand over the cup to my PB-15 Squier Amp... I am going to say it is safe to say that it is 'rhoids free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:17 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

problem w/the 15w amp is you want it to take steroids so it'll cut thru the mix :lol: My 1st amp was Peavey basic 50. 50 watts of nothing when the band got together. It did the job when I was practicing, but not when the band was practicing. I graduated to Fender M80 combo, then to a Trace Elliot 350w, then to my current set up, Hartke Transient Attack 5000 w/KMD cab.

VT Bass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:58 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I do most of my lessons and practicing through my headphones. Although, I am going to take a couple of the Berkley School of Music's online courses so I will be looking for a little more punch.

The few people that I play with all play acoustic guitar..... usually just one but sometimes 2 (the squier doesn't really hold up to 2)... so I am thinking at least 50 if not 100 watts for my combo.

I wish they made more combo amps (especially vintage style ones) for bass like they do for guitar. Those hot rod series amps look cool. They dont have much like that for bass that I have seen though. Behringer has a little 15 watter that has a nice look to it, but I need something substantial.