It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Identifying Squier Stratocaster
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello,
I purchased a used Squier 20th Anniversary Stratocaster. From what I've read it was made in Indochina by Cort. My question is, is this considered a Squier Stratocaster or a Affinity Stratocaster? Thanks for any assistance!
Glenn

Post subject: Re: Identifying Squier Stratocaster
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:09 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

If it is an Affinity, it will say so on the headstock. If it doesn't, it's not.

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:37 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

i think everything made by squier in 2002 had the anniversary neckplate, they do that every 10th anniversary dont they?, maybe pictures and the serial number might help you more

Vox Pathfinder 15r

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:25 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

bluesky636 wrote:

Hello bluesky636,
Well, might be time for a eye exam. There plain as day with 20/20 is the Affinity logo on the headstock. Thank you for your time. I was wondering if it was worth trying to put better pots an caps in. Seems to play well.
Glenn

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:27 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

alfunkz wrote:
i think everything made by squier in 2002 had the anniversary neckplate, they do that every 10th anniversary dont they?, maybe pictures and the serial number might help you more

Hello alfunkz,
Thank you for your time and response. Now I have to investigate it compared to a regular squire strat.
Glenn

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:26 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

glennc717 wrote:
bluesky636 wrote:

Hello bluesky636,
Well, might be time for a eye exam. There plain as day with 20/20 is the Affinity logo on the headstock. Thank you for your time. I was wondering if it was worth trying to put better pots an caps in. Seems to play well.
Glenn

You're welcome.

FWIW, here is my Affinity BSB Telecaster that I converted to an Esquire:

New CTS pots, CRL switch, Orange Drop cap, Dimarzio Area T pickup, GFS locking tuners, converted to string-thru bridge, Mil-Spec Switchcraft output jack, Eldrid Mod. Plays and sounds fantastic. Sounds very different from my AVRI 52 Telecaster.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:13 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

bluesky636 wrote:
glennc717 wrote:
bluesky636 wrote:

Hello bluesky636,
Glenn

You're welcome.

FWIW, here is my Affinity BSB Telecaster that I converted to an Esquire

That is a marvelous looking instrument. I like to tinker so I might have a go at mine. I don't know if I have the desire to spend a bunch of money on it though. It is supposed to be thinner than a MIM or American strat, correct. What is your feeling on shielding the cavity and at minimum changing the pots and cap? I run it through a blues jr. and it is very dynamic compared to many humbucking pickup guitars I play with. Thanks for any input in the upgrades. I already tightened all the tuners and the output jack. Had to fill some holes with wood shavings and glue as a few were stripped.
L8tr
Glenn

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:56 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

glennc717 wrote:
That is a marvelous looking instrument. I like to tinker so I might have a go at mine. I don't know if I have the desire to spend a bunch of money on it though. It is supposed to be thinner than a MIM or American strat, correct. What is your feeling on shielding the cavity and at minimum changing the pots and cap? I run it through a blues jr. and it is very dynamic compared to many humbucking pickup guitars I play with. Thanks for any input in the upgrades. I already tightened all the tuners and the output jack. Had to fill some holes with wood shavings and glue as a few were stripped.
L8tr
Glenn

Thanks. I enjoy taking inexpensive guitars and upgrading them to something you cannot buy. I have 5 guitars (soon to be 6) and 1 bass, ranging in price from free to $1600. All have been upgraded with various combinations of pickups, pots, knobs, tuners, etc. to make them uniquely mine. Some people feel it is a waste of money and that I should buy the next higher model or two. Even if I did that, I would still probably mod the guitar.

Yes, the Affinitys are thinner then the higher line models. But they are also lighter. My Esquire is every bit as resonant as my AVRI 52 Tele. I use PAF type humbuckers or stacked humbuckers in all my guitars as I hate 60 Hz hum and I seem to live in a very noisy electronic environment. I shielded the bridge cavity of my Esquire before I replaced the pickup and it helped only slightly.

I buy a lot of my parts for my cheaper guitars from Guitar Fetish:

www.guitarfetish.com

I find their parts to be a very good value for the price. Of course, my more expensive guitars are upgraded with higher quality parts.

Bottom line, do what ou want and can afford to make the guitar yours. And above all, have fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:12 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Howdy,
Sounds like a fun way to learn. That is why I enjoy it. I have never touched one of my babies, but as the years passed I found that on new ones that I don't care about the "original" status, I have had some fun. Little stuff, adjust the neck, set intonation, set the pole pieces. But nothing this radical. Although I did put $200 worth stuff on a $146 Epiphone. Was having a guitar crisis and wasn't ready to trade anything at the time. The pickups would have been next. Got laughed at when I traded it in, but the salesman said it sold almost immediately. Thanks for the site, will give it a go, I like your appraisal of the proper replacements depending on the actual value of the instrument, makes good sense.
Cheers
Glenn

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:54 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

You're welcome. :D