It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Medium jumbo & 6105 frets
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:07 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Can someone help me with understanding terminology concerning frets used on Custom Shop guitar?
My Rory has medium jumbo frets + 9,5" neck radius whereas the Nocaster has vintage frets + 7,25" radius. Leaving aside the neck shapes for a moment, the Rory is easier to play especially bends etc. IS this more due to radius, frets or both? How are these 2 fret types different? I have rread that different fret manufacturers refer to frets with differing standards so I would like to know the situation specifically regards the CS.

thanks

anthony

Post subject: Re: Medium jumbo & 6105 frets
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:35 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey Anthony,

Medium Jumbo frets are Fender proprietary wire. They are wide, but relatively low. They are also known as American Standard frets or Standard frets in the after-market (Fender part number 0991998000).

6105 frets refer to a Dunlop Accu-Fret wire that is narrow and quite tall. They are often referred to as Narrow Jumbo frets.

Vintage frets are a Fender wire and are essentially both low and narrow.

That's the basic facts. What follows is essentially opinion; others may have a different interpretation.

Due to the height of the frets, the 6105's generate sustain and good lead tone, while bending well. The downside for rhythm is that they can go sharp on bar chords if you press down too much. Also, some players find these frets a bit like railroad tracks (bumpy) when sliding.

Vintage frets don't have the sharp issue and play fast because of the low small frets. However, (for most mortals) they are harder to generate tone from relative to larger frets.

Medium Jumbos tend to be a good compromise in the middle. The larger width allows for good bending and generates sustain. The low relative height makes for reasonably good sliding around.

Personally, I wished that the Fender Custom Shop would equip more guitars with Medium Jumbo frets. I'm guessing that they use 6105s so much, in part, to differentiate the product line from the Fender production line guitars.

One last point: the radius does matter quite a bit. The flatter radius (9.5 inch and greater) allows you to bend easier without fretting out. The fretboard also seems roomier on a 9.5 inch radius guitar versus vintage 7.25 inch, although that could be my imagination.

Hope that helps.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:10 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Well explained.

"The fretboard also seems roomier on a 9.5 inch radius guitar versus vintage 7.25 inch, although that could be my imagination."
Flatter anyway..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:16 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Now that is what I call a great explanation! I love this place...
Thanks very much.
I am still getting to know my Nocaster but I suspect it might be nice to have medium jumbos. I will take a look to see if this beast exists without going MB which is a bit rich for my finances.

I will be in Paris for the SIMA trade fair and if I see a guy with lots of CS guitars I will buy him a drink.....

ciao

anthony

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:57 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I have a Strat with 6105 frets and I just don't care for them,it's a great guitar except for that,I have a '62 Hot Rod Strat with frets that I really like,could you tell me what those are? I'm probably going to replace the 6105 frets on that one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:37 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Rebelsoul,

If they are original they are most likely medium jumbo frets.

The specs for production line guitars are listed under the Products heading on this site (Electric Guitars - Stratocaster - Vintage Hot Rod).

I have re-fretted a few CS guitars from 6105 to medium jumbo and they came out nice. It worked best on the guitars with 9.5 inch radius.

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:09 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thanks Paul,
I was wondering how a refret would come out,I like some things about the 6105 frets,but they do feel like a railroad track. :)
It has the 9.5 radius and I think I'll take it to a good luthier and show them the HR Strat and tell them that's what I want...I do all the work on my guitars but a refret might be better left to a pro,Nashville has several well known guitar techs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:29 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

You see here horses for courses. I have 6105 on my #1 and would take them anytime before medium jumbos on the previous one. It all depends of how you play and what feels the best.

+1 on the detailed explanation above.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:55 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Found this in the Ask ME forum:
http://fendercs.com/news/index.php?display_article=424

This talks about vintage jumbo and medium jumbo I have not heard of vintage jumbo before. Anyone know what guitars use vintage jumbo? I presume my Rory has medium jumbos.

regards,
anthony

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:56 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hate 6105 frets and would never purchase a guitar that had them, but love Medium Jumbo and Vintage frets. Good thing Fender has em all.