It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 65 or 68 Princeton Reverb Reissue? Which one to get?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:28 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi all!

I was hoping some of you could help me make a choice between the '65 Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue Vs. '68 Custom Princeton Reverb Reissue. I recently tried the '68 Custom and really liked it a lot--I have not been able to try a '65.

I will only be using the amp for recording and playing at home so wattage is not really the issue. I am aware that the '65 is 15 watts has a rectifier tube and an fx loop and a Jensen C-10R whereas the '68 has no rectifier, is 12 watts, has no fx loop and has a Celestion Ten 30.

To my ears the '68 sounded nice and balanced--nice top end and bottom without the muddy low-mids. I loved the reverb and trem and I hear it takes pedals well. I wanted to know what the $100 price difference is all about? Better craftsmanship? More useable Tones? etc, etc...

Basically, why'd should I go for one over the other?

Thanks for any good tips or advice!

Post subject: Re: 65 or 68 Princeton Reverb Reissue? Which one to get?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:39 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

no fx loop on the '65. It's in the vintage reissue series. They didn't have fx loops back then. I think the price difference has to do with the '68 being made in mexico & the '65 in the States. The '68 is in the vintage modified series.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:11 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi Philipp123,

Yes, there is no effects loop in either amp, both have tube rectifier.

The basic difference is that the '68 is lightly modified, with a different tone stack, and with reduced negative feedback, so it will have earlier breakup while the '65 is cleaner and truer to the original sound.

If you want very clean sound, similar to the original, get the '65. If you like greater touch sensitivity and earlier breakup, get the '68.

I have no hesitation in buying either MIA or MIM amps, no difference in build quality or parts quality.

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:16 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

shimmilou wrote:
Hi Philipp123,

I have no hesitation in buying either MIA or MIM amps, no difference in build quality or parts quality.

Good to know, as my new (still on a brown truck heading my way) HRDIII is MIM. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:33 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

The HRDlx III is one example of build/quality improvement over the original MIA version. The III has thicker circuit boards than the I or II, has a couple of other improvements, such as added audio taper pots and some minor circuit revisions, and is otherwise identical in construction and parts. The new RoHS crap solder being a possible exception.

Many MIA amps already have some parts MIM, and have for a long time. The cabs are a good example, many have been MIM for years. Typically, the exact same brand components are used in either build, meaning that some MIM amps have MIA parts, such as the transformers.

My BJr II, another example of improved over the original MIA, is MIM, and it's been great. The MIM version started with a circuit revision that improved the reverb, changing the point at which the reverb was inserted in the circuit, reducing noise and other anomalies. I have A/B'd the MIA (I) and MIM (II) versions side-by-side, I prefer the MIM sound much better.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:39 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

shimmilou wrote:
The HRDlx III is one example of build/quality improvement over the original MIA version. The III has thicker circuit boards than the I or II, has a couple of other improvements, such as added audio taper pots and some minor circuit revisions, and is otherwise identical in construction and parts. The new RoHS crap solder being a possible exception.

Many MIA amps already have some parts MIM, and have for a long time. The cabs are a good example, many have been MIM for years. Typically, the exact same brand components are used in either build, meaning that some MIM amps have MIA parts, such as the transformers.

My BJr II, another example of improved over the original MIA, is MIM, and it's been great. The MIM version started with a circuit revision that improved the reverb, changing the point at which the reverb was inserted in the circuit, reducing noise and other anomalies. I have A/B'd the MIA (I) and MIM (II) versions side-by-side, I prefer the MIM sound much better.

The improvements on the III models was part of my decision to purchase one now. Being able to afford a decent tube amp was another factor. I do like the ability to be able to run a 4 or 8 ohms also. Some of the modern amps do not have this flexibility.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:59 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Modwiz, how do you like the drive channel? I've been trying to decide on an amp with some good sounding distortion, I play blues and rock, thanks for any insight.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:28 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

shimmilou wrote:
Hi Philipp123,

Yes, there is no effects loop in either amp, both have tube rectifier.

The basic difference is that the '68 is lightly modified, with a different tone stack, and with reduced negative feedback, so it will have earlier breakup while the '65 is cleaner and truer to the original sound.

If you want very clean sound, similar to the original, get the '65. If you like greater touch sensitivity and earlier breakup, get the '68.

Shimmilou, many thanks for your advice--I was wondering about the fx loop--on Sweetwater's site they listed an fx loop as part of the '65--thought it might be wrong, but was not sure. I don't necessarily have an aversion to MIM Fender products but the '68 Princeton I tried today did have some cabinet buzzing when really strumming heavy on the bass strings. Do you know about this problem? Is it something the '65 suffers from too?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:32 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Relic G Man wrote:
Modwiz, how do you like the drive channel? I've been trying to decide on an amp with some good sounding distortion, I play blues and rock, thanks for any insight.

@Relic G Man, I hope you don't mind but I'd be grateful if we could keep this thread focussed on the differences between the 65 and 68 princeton reissues.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:43 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Philipp123 wrote:
Hi all!

I was hoping some of you could help me make a choice between the '65 Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue Vs. '68 Custom Princeton Reverb Reissue. I recently tried the '68 Custom and really liked it a lot--I have not been able to try a '65.

I will only be using the amp for recording and playing at home so wattage is not really the issue. I am aware that the '65 is 15 watts has a rectifier tube and an fx loop and a Jensen C-10R whereas the '68 has no rectifier, is 12 watts, has no fx loop and has a Celestion Ten 30.

To my ears the '68 sounded nice and balanced--nice top end and bottom without the muddy low-mids. I loved the reverb and trem and I hear it takes pedals well. I wanted to know what the $100 price difference is all about? Better craftsmanship? More useable Tones? etc, etc...

Basically, why'd should I go for one over the other?

Thanks for any good tips or advice!

Might want to read this thread first and do some additional searching on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=90946

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:02 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

@Bluesky636--yes, lemons are out there--more than there should be--I have experienced it first hand which is why I am hoping to gather as much info as I can! Thanks for the link...am leaning more towards the 65 as of this moment...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:25 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Philipp123 wrote:
...the '68 Princeton I tried today did have some cabinet buzzing when really strumming heavy on the bass strings. Do you know about this problem? Is it something the '65 suffers from too?

If you've already decided that it is cabinet buzzing and not something else, then I would say that possibly loose screws somewhere, baffle board, chassis, speaker screws, any of these could be loose.

Sometimes it is something else making the noise, maybe not even the amp but something close to the amp. Many things near an amp can buzz when tickled with the right frequency and volume. It could even be a tube rattling.

Rattling or buzzing can happen with any amp, and it might take some investigation to figure what is the cause.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:55 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Relic G Man wrote:

I will be glad to make a report (In a separate thread)when I get it sometime next week, hopefully Monday.
I really liked the drive feature very much on every you tube I watched. I liked the definition and tone. The difference between drive and more drive is configured very well for my ears. The three basic sounds that this amp produces without pedals is what I seem to be looking for from a modern affordable amp.