It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hot Rod Deluxe (GB) footswitch loose in transit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:19 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I received my new GB Hot Rod Deluxe and thought the footswitch was missing.

I then found it tucked up on top of the speaker cone with a velcro strap around it with sharp staples sticking out of it.

I realised the velcro strap is supposed to be stapled to the lower left side (looking from the back) and had come loose. What crazy design is this? The staples obviously don't go all the way through the casing, so the pins are still straight. So all it takes is a sharp knock in transit, and the weight of the footswitch will yank the pins straight out.

So far, everything appears to be working and sounding great and I looked around inside the cabinet with a torch and couldn't notice anything obvious.....but surely the way this is supplied is asking for trouble?

I don't know if the different wood used for the GB version of this amp means the staples get even less hold than the regular version.

I noticed a similar complaint, and fixing of the footswitch for the Supersonic amps...but I didn't see others complaining of this with this one. They should simply put the footswitch in a jiffy bag like the power cable.

Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Deluxe (GB) footswitch loose in transit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:35 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi jonstatt,

Congrats on the new amp, I am glad nothing was damaged. Let me guess, shipped via UPS? :(

What kind of tube lineup do you have (preamp and output), and any plans on changing tubes? I know that they are GT tubes, but can you tell which type, Russian, Chinese, GE reissue perhaps?

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:44 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Actually I picked it up directly from the store, but who knows how it was handled between Mexico and the store in the UK. I hope nobody re-uses that strap (if it didn't come loose) to hold their foot switch when gigging as its asking for trouble.

As for the tubes.

In position 1 there is an GT-AT7. And in positions 2 and 3 there are GT-ECC83-S. I have no idea how the GT tubes that are specifically marked AX7 differ from the ones explicitly marked ECC83?

For the power section the tubes are GT-6L6-CHP (rated/matched with a value of 4)

I don't know how to tell the origin of the tubes. Are all of a specific model made in the same place?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:20 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thanks for that jonstatt. :)

The output tubes, CHP, are Chinese made black-Plate, and with a 4 rating will probably get some smooth distortion fairly early. I bet it sounds sweet. I have a pair of the CHP waiting to try in my HRDlx. I have tried a HRDlx III with the CHP output tubes and I really liked the sound. As for the preamp and PI tubes, I haven't seen any AT7 installed from the factory, but I believe that those are also Chinese made, and for the ECC83, the "S" would indicate Slovakian made, from the JJ factory, but I haven't seen these except for the picture, which definitely looks like a JJ. The "ECC83" is the European designation for a "12AX7", basically the same tube.

Are you sure that position 1 has the AT7? Usually an AT7 (lower gain than an AX7) would be better in position 3, but might work in position 1 as well. You count the positions from right to left looking at the back of the amp, so the rightmost tube is position 1, and count towards the left.

Seems like a very cool tube lineup, that makes for some great sounds. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:21 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

shimmilou wrote:

Are you sure that position 1 has the AT7? Usually an AT7 (lower gain than an AX7) would be better in position 3, but might work in position 1 as well. You count the positions from right to left looking at the back of the amp, so the rightmost tube is position 1, and count towards the left.

Thank you very much for the analysis on the tubes! Very interesting.

The AT7 is definitely in position 1 (the rightmost tube). I believe that George Benson requested the lower gain to achieve better compatibility with humbuckers such as the semi-acoustic guitar I use (Ibanez GB200).

I am very very pleased with the sound! Once I got that footswitch away from the speakercone (as it was rattling away there).....I immediately heard this warm rich, smooth and yet detailed sound. It put a grin on my face very quickly.

At least with the newest iteration of these amps, the volume pot (clean) is nicely ramped so its perfectly usable at home as well as out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:05 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Awesome! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:42 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

jonstatt wrote:
At least with the newest iteration of these amps, the volume pot (clean) is nicely ramped so its perfectly usable at home as well as out.

Contrary to Internet lore, the clean volume pot of the Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville and Blues Deluxe/Deville is now and always has been an audio taper pot (250K15A to be exact). The improvement in volume control on the clean channel that you are experiencing is due solely to using a lower gain tube in V1 requiring you to turn the volume control up higher to achieve the same level of loudness that a 12AX7 provides. If you put a 12AX7 in V1, the volume pot would act just like a non-George Benson amp. For the record, it was the Master Volume control (which only works on the drive and more drive channel) in the III series amps that Fender changed from a linear pot to an audio taper pot. That was an unnecessary change, in my opinion, brought about by owners who do not know how to use the drive and master controls to get the sound they wanted.

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:49 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

+1 bluesky636